“Nothing "Heavenly" about it.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Chicago River North

Save Saved
You added The Westin Chicago River North to your Saves list
The Westin Chicago River North
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 N. Dearborn Ave., Chicago, IL 60610 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #44 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nothing "Heavenly" about it.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Let it be known that I have never written a review, though I felt compelled enough to share my dissatisfied experience. Long story short, we had two nights booked, then reduced it to one after just an hour in the hotel.

Firstly, the Executive Club was not worth the extra cost. The attendant made us feel as though we were doing something wrong by requiring us to fill out a "guest voucher." In my 25 years of traveling (business & pleasure) I never once had to "explain" who I was for complimentary h'orderves and soft drinks.

The staff had an expectation of gratuity when delivering an item (in this case a fan) to our room. I usually tip for everything, but when it feels expected, I don't.

The "heavenly" robes felt and looked as though they were ten years old.

The deluxe suite was nice, though a river view would have been nicer when we inquired and thus denied. Only to find out later that the hotel was at 25% capacity (direct from an employee)....I'm sure one was available.

Lastly, at checkout, the office valet attendant called down to the valet, after placing his personal phone call on hold, told me it would be 10 minutes (even though we were the only ones waiting). When 15 minutes passed , our car came at a relatively fast rate of speed to the front door. I handed the valet $5 (regrettably) and then realized that he didn't even acknowledge me, my wife or our luggage, not one word or door opened for her.

We found a great hotel just two blocks away at half the price (with river view), free wine and an incredibly fun atmosphere with amazing staff.

We will NEVER stay at or recommend a Westin Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Not worth the several hundreds of dollars you'll pay for a "club leve...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
fom1031, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
Dear John S,

Thank You for the feedback. I was disappointed to hear of your visit and apologize for your dissatisfaction. I can assure you I have shared your review with my team as we consider feedback to be a gift. I wish I was able to speak with you before you checked out. Feel free to call the hotel directly at 312-744-1900 and ask for me directly as I would like to follow up with you. We would love to have the opportunity to invite you back and show you we are better.

Be Well,

James Bristow
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location; it is very easy to get to all the attractions in Chicago from this location without using a cab. Staff was very attentive--especially the concierges. The only drawback was having a room on the 8th floor overlooking the river--which would seem like a good thing, except that the noise from the bridge traffic carried up to our room all day and all night. A little better window insulation would help, but otherwise this is a great choice and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are getting a river view room, try to get as high a floor as possible to avoid bridge noise.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I spent Christmas at the Westin this year and desperately needed to keep my metabolism up for all the food I was consuming. Met Sam at the fitness center and he was marvelous! After a brief chat he designed a complete workout along with stretches for upper and lower body, illustrations to all the exercises and an overview document that explained everything.

He went far out of his way to be accommodating and helpful . Can't say enough about him and the rest of the staff.

Many Thanks,
Jerry & Marianne

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Stayed here for three nights over the new year on the executive club floor, we were upgraded to a club deluxe room that overlooked the river and was wonderful to wake up to each morning. We enjoyed the location which for us visiting friends was convenient to their apartment and we were able to walk to the magmile, great restaurants (e.g, frontera grill, akura sushi) were just around the corner. The front desk staff was very helpful and the concierge was always standing by for a quick question. The lounge was nice and we ate breakfast there two mornings and the continental breakfast was what I expect from Westin Club Lounges. Although I will say this lounge can get very crowded; the executive club is actually floors 17-20 so the club can get very crowded with three floors of people for just half a dozen tables. I will say the lounge has a great view overlooking the city and the staff working it during meal times were pleasant and helpful.

The fitness room was great we used that each morning and never had a problem with getting a machine but then again we are early birds. We didn't have a car so can't comment on valet nor did we elect for housekeeping, Westin has an eco-campaign where you can get 500 pts for declining housekeeping.

Overall we would return next time we are in Chicago.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner deluxe room, they had great views of the river.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

The location is great. Nice to be able to walk along the river, head down to Michigan Avenue and shop and eat your heart out. The hotel is very nice and somewhat elegant. They got us a corner room which was very spacious and afforded a sitting area overlooking downtown. Room was nicely decorated and very clean. Got a great rate with parking included which is a big must in my book when heading to the Windy City. We will be looking this place up again next time we are in town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

It had been several years since we'd sworn never to return to this former Nikko property, but meetings dictated a stay and brought a pleasant surprise. It is now fully in line with similar Westin properties and worthy of four stars. The property is on the river just north of the loop (across from Hard Rock) and convenient to Mag Mile shops and events. The meeting facilities are quite functional and service excellent even with multiple meetings on the same weekend. All the little add ons add up, but what else is new.

Room Tip: Club level corner suite the best.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Sam Guiragossian Manager of the Westin Gym rocks, he gives great advice and awesome neck massage. He kindly followed up after my wife and I left with a personal work out for us both. He is awesome.

Room Tip: Rooms are a little small especially bathrooms not like a Westin bathroom, suites are great.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Chicago River North? Share your experiences!