“Awful Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

You added The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago to your Saves list
The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   909 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #90 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“Awful Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

I was surprised and very disappointed with the bad service here. Westin hotels are usually pretty good but this was not the case here. I only stayed 1 night and had quite a few problems. Some were small (but irritating) and good hotels always pay attention to the small details. That was not the case here. For example:

(1) Room service lunch - they included bread rolls but not enough butter
(2) Room service dinner - it took 45 mins to arrive and they sent the wrong order. Since it was after 11.00pm the kitchen was then closed. I was put on hold for 10 minutes and then told I could order from a local Italian take-out (they would pay). An OK response I guess but by then it was near midnight and I would have to wait again for the food.
(3) The room only had 2 dim lights and was very dark. I called "Service Express" to get an additional light sent to the room. I had to call them 3 times before anyone delivered a light (despite being told during the first 2 calls that it was coming). This took at least 2 hours.

I will not stay here again. I have stayed at the Sofitel before and should have gone back there - it was awesome.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Waunakee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

My friends and I stayed here the weekend before Thanksgiving for our Girls Get Away. Our room was wonderful. It is a fantastic location for shopping on Michigan Avenue, eating on Rush Street, and nightlife. We were impressed with the quality of the beds - comfy with great bedding above the usual hotel quality. There are a couple of negatives, but not enough to make us not stay again. I would definitely come back.
We were there for the lighting of the trees on Michigan Ave. and the parade. We had a great location.
Positives:
Location
Helpful staff- Concierge was great with making reservations for us
Clean
Comfortable beds

Negatives:
The soda machine never gave us the soda that was pictured (room service did then deliver the correct type once we complained)
The temperature in the rooms was very warm and difficult to regulate. Not good for women with hot flashes!!
Parking is extremely expensive - over $35 per day

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

I spent most of a week at the Westin Michigan Ave while attending a conference there. The conference rate was very good. I could not beat it with a website search or with other nearby similar hotels. My room was clean, well appointed, great bed, and decent amenities. The $1.75 charge for local calls was irritating. Maid service was spotty with minimal clean-up and no daily replenishing of bath amenities. There is a classy lobby, courteous reception staff/concierge, and very nice meeting room facilities. The best feature is its excellent location on the Miracle Mile. Walk to top notch shopping and restaurants and a few blocks to the lakefront. I hope to return for a more leisurely visit, taking advantage of the location. Fitness center is small but adequate. I did not try the restaurant. With so many high quality restaurants nearby, it's hard to choose where to eat! I would recommend The Westin for it's value and location in the great city of Chicago!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2005

I often stay here for the convenience/location, but am frequently disappointed by the service. The last few times, it has taken much too long to check-in. I am a Starwood Gold Member but nobody mans the Gold/Platinum line.

Another time, I get to my room and see the message light flashing ont he phone. So I call for messages, and it tells me to call thr front desk. So I do that. Then they put me on hold for 5 minutes. What was the message? Some free breakfast I could atten where they would try to sell me something.

Not sure I'll return.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2005

To my mind, no chain gives you more comfort for the money than Westin. This particular hotel delivers the heavenly bed, heavenly bath experience that puts the likes of Hyatt and Marriott to shame. My room was tiny with the heavenly bed taking up much of the floor space. Since I was neither entertaining nor spending much time in the room, that was not really a problem. The service and personel here are exemplary. The Grill, which I had several opportunities to use, was excellent although, quite honestly they clearly have never heard of portion control. Frighteningly large platters of food are the norm. Finally, you'd be hard pressed to find a better location--you're right on the Miracle Mile. Across Michigan Avenue is the 4 Seasons and one block over is the Ritz. But if you want to save a bundle, check into the Westin and put your money into the marvellous meals you can enjoy within blocks of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

I had to wait quite awhile to get a government rate at this hotel, but I finally succeeded with only a few days left to go before my conference. At government rate, this is an exceptional hotel. At the typical rate, it's a very nice Westin but nothing outstanding about it.

Location is as good as you can find in Chicago - convenient to everything and near some wonderful shopping and restaurants. The room was nice and large, bathroom was nice (despite a bit of a spider problem), fitness center was just average (especially considering the size of this hotel), and service was OK. I say service was OK because staff were kind and friendly, but the lines to ask questions, check in and check out were always long - even for Gold and Platinum members.

I'm a Starwood Gold member and can report that I didn't get a thing for my Gold status except perhaps a better view. I wasn't put on a Gold member floor, although I found the hotel had one. I'm an optimist and keep hoping I'll get something for my Starwood Gold membership, but so far it's all been pretty much of a sham.

I'd stay at this hotel again, if I were able to get a reasonable rate on the room.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

Just back from a quick weekend stay. It's a standard Westin and everything was as expected. Clean, attractive room (although the carpet needs replacing), the usual Heavenly amenities, friendly staff, efficient taxi stand, strong wifi in the lobby, terrific location at the north end of Michigan Avenue shopping. It's well run and a good value. Highly recommended.

Stayed September 2005

Been to The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago? Share your experiences!