“Perfect for business travel!” 4 of 5 stars

Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #91 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC
“Perfect for business travel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I needed to fly into Chicago, be centrally located, get to a meeting and fly out...and the Westin on Michigan proved to be perfect. No waiting to check in, the room was large, the AC performed perfectly, the shower had options, the towels large and soft, and the bed provided a great nite's sleep. Hard to ask for much more...and for a very reasonable rate. In all, a great value. Will return!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hi JDofWashingtonDC,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this story. We truly value your feedback and we can't wait to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kristin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

After a 20+ hour day and less than 4 hours sleep the night prior, I arrived back at my hotel room only to discover I had demagnetized my room key. So tired I could barely drag my laptop bag back with me, I returned to the front desk to ask for it to be reset only to find a line of people waiting to check in. The front desk ladies (correctly) told me I'd have to wait in line behind the other guests...and I responded poorly. Fortunately - even when I was clearly out of line and rude, a nice woman (Virginia? or maybe Diana?) in the lobby who clearly works with luggage normally asked if she could help. When I told her my situation, she put her arm around me and walked me over to the side while she went to get help from a manager. She then took my keycard and told me to head up to my room and a security guard would be there to let me in. I headed up stairs and leaned against my door. Less than 30 seconds after arriving, Greg Roberson, the security guard on duty who had been 3 floors down, opens the stairwell door at the end of the hall and proceeds to jog down the hall to me to let me in my room. He apologized for being out of breath due to RUNNING UP 3 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS to get me in my room! He then asked if he could bring me my key card once it was ready and I assured him I could just pick it up in the morning. He (correctly) figured out I just wanted to go to bed and didn't want to answer the door later and told me to head to bed and he'd just slide my keycard under the door when it was ready. :) I was too tired to thank Greg or Virginia (Diana?) that night but they are responsible for turning what could have become a truly ugly situation for the front desk staff, waiting guests and myself into a truly positive experience. Thank you all for taking care of someone who maybe didn't deserve your kindness.

Room Tip: Lake view is lovely if available
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hi KellyW1104,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are delighted that Greg and Diana were so helpful and courteous. We appreciate you taking the time to share your story, and we all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Sadly, nothing has changed at this hotel. Customer service is completely non-existent. Still takes forever for anyone to answer the phone, whether calling from outside or inside the property. And when it is answered it is made clear you are taking up valuable time with your phone call. Was given completely incorrect information about taxi cab fare from O'hare to hotel (said to "ask for a flat fee of $45 or maybe $50". Which is it? Apparently neither. City of Chicago only does metered fares unless you are doing ride-share.) And when you ask for management, it is the same attitude, laced with snarkiness and sarcasm. It would have been so easy to make a small gesture to make a priority customer happy. But they choose attitude over service every time. Last time I wrote a negative review I was personally contacted by the hotel and asked to remove/amend my review in exchange for Starwood points so they don't really operate on values. I suggested they instead improve their service as a method for getting better ratings.

On a positive note, as it is a Westin, they have the heavenly beds and pillows. Bathroom was clean although lacking a throw rug and towels have seen better days. Lighting in bathroom is low. There were some pretty gross stains on the upholstered chair and carpet. But again, bathroom was clean.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Hi Sunnydove,

Thank you for the helpful information. We apologize that you have had another disappointing experience with us, as we were under the impression that things were better this time around. We would love to discuss this further if you would like. Please feel free to call us directly to discuss.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This property is located on the Mangnificent Mile, the best positioned upscale hotel, close to all the attractions and shopping. You could walk everywhere. There is great vibe about the location.
This could be an excellent hotel. However, the property needs updating and improving in many ways.
Rooms are dated. Food is average, parking is uber expensive and valet parking is completely slow and rude. Waited for more than 20 minutes to get the car.
Service is at best mediocre.
I waited for more than an hour for them to find my reservation. As a platinum spg I did not get the treatment that I should. I really had to beg for an upgrade, which should have been automatic. In the restaurant no one no what's included in the platinum breakfast and the service was lacking.
The manager seems to be bored and uninterested in running the place. It seems that is running this premier property as a barber shop. if he knows you, he treats you well, if not you are completely ignored.
Indeed, a magnificent location, mediocre service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi ToniCTravelAmeniti,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We apologize that you did not feel valued as a Platinum guest, as we try our very best to accommodate all of our Platinum guests as best as we can. We will use your feedback to make improvements to our service culture. Thank you for noting our great location. We hope to welcome you back one day.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hotel is located in a great geographic area of Chicago - right on Michigan, the hotel has easy access to the beaches and fantastic shopping. It is close to the Gold Coast which is known for shopping and great restaurants. I also enjoy the Hotel staff and accommodation! The best in town.

Room Tip: Lake View is great and higher floors are better
Green Features: Green Choice is excellent - earn points for extended stays
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hi Maria!

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review! We are delighted that you have had such a wonderful time with us every time you stay, and we look forward to continuing to welcome you back.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stay here frequently - out of the SPG options in Chicago, it's my most preferred. Here's why:

1) Staff - Melissa Moss, the Business Account Manager, makes each stay memorable and easy for me - be it reserving a car for me at Hertz, hand written notes and a gift, or extra bottles of water for after my workout - it really is a nice touch and she arranges everything for me.

2) location - away from the tourist-filled areas of South and Central Michigan. Great for hopping on the lake trail for a run

3) Rooms/Amenities - larger than their peer hotels, which is a plus when I need to spread out my suits, workout clothes, etc.

Room Tip: Get one high up, and on the North side to view the lake. The South side views the John Hancock Towe...
Green Features: use the green choice - great for extra points. It also is helpful because they aren't washing your sheets and towels nightly.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hi Aaron A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experiences with us. We truly appreciate your mention of Melissa Moss, as we are very lucky to have her on our team. We have already shared this comment with her to recognize her for her excellent service. Thank you again, and we can't wait to hav eyou back.

Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband was at a conference so my children (9 and 11) and I joined him for a few days. Valet parking was $60/night and we got upgraded to a 10th floor corner room. It was beautiful and faced Bloomingdales and if you stretched you could see the lake. I felt everyone could see us because the buildings are so close...but that is part of city living. But the first day, our room was not cleaned and after a day with the kids at museums, I fell asleep. At 6:00 pm. the maid came and we asked her to come back in an hour. She said no, because she got off at 6:30 pm and had two other rooms to clean. So, we got up and rushed out of the room. When we returned, there was dust all over the telephone. We complained and got 1000 points (Starwood) but again the next day, there was dust on the phone. We used to live in the city, but the sirens were on all night...I guess living in the suburbs made us more sensitive to noise so request a higher floor if you are. The bathroom kept dripping water on the toilet because after a shower, the water accumulated on the ceiling...I kept yelling at my husband and son thinking they did it...but finally figured out the water was dripping from the ceiling. We did love the location because my daughter loves American Girl and my son loved the sports museum 1 block away. The mall was convenient when my son broke his flop flops, too. We caught the bus right outside the hotel to all the museums. And the taxis were inexpensive.

Room Tip: Higher floor if you are sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello TravelwithKids30,

Thank you for the helpful comments. We apologize for the frustrations with housekeeping, and we have followed up with their managers. We appreciate the positive remarks on our location and the view from your room, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kristin

Been to The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago? Share your experiences!