“Great location but horrible room” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #87 of 167 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Great location but horrible room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was a 4-star hotel merely because of the location and restaurant, which is independently owned and operated. The room contained their "Heavenly Bed" and there was nothing "divine" about it.....it was hard and so were the pillows. The toilets are so noisy that you can hear a flush 3 rooms away and the halls are rather noisy as well. Climate control in the room was barely adequate while the hallways were like refrigerators. The Grill restaurant was the best part of the stay & we couldn't even earn Starpoints for that!

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — The bed and pillows
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, June 20, 2008
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We did replace our Heavenly Beds with the newest generation of Heavenly Beds this spring and have had great guest comments on them so we regret they were not to your satisfaction.

The Heating Ventilation and Cooling System was upgraded this Spring at a cost of $6 million dollars so it is surprising to read your comments. If you would contact me at the hotel and let me know what room you were in and I will advise engineering on this issue as well as the issue of hearing toilets on your floor flushing.

The Grill is run by an outside organization because Starwood realized a number of years ago that our guests are often better served by a selection of the finest restaurant companies in the country. At none of these outside establishments are starpoints awarded just as they are not awarded at any other establishment renting space from us. We do offer starpoints for room service use.

We invite you to return the next time in Chicago and contact me personally to make your arrangements.

1,274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

We recently had a wonderful 2 night stay at this hotel. From our greeting from the front desk clerk, to the bellman to housekeeping, our experience was excellent. The recent renovations were very noticeable and the hotel looked and smelled new. The room was very nicely appointed and the king size bed and bedding as good as home. You just can't beat this location. While we have been to Chicago many times in the past, this was our first time staying at this hotel. It will not be our last.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

Went to Chicago for my bachelor party and ended up getting a great deal on the Westin through Priceline. After reading the reviews, I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into. After staying two nights, I must agree with pretty much all of the reviews.

The Pros:
Location. It's great. Right next to the John Hancock building and close to everything you want to see on Michigan Ave. Within walking distance to Rush St. as well. Plus an easy and pretty cheap cab ride pretty much everywhere.
The beds are pretty comfortable too even though they are doubles.

The Cons:
Outdated rooms. Thin walls. The rooms are very average. Our bathtub didn't drain. The walls are so thin, you can honestly hear everything going on down the hall or the room next to you.

The Lobby is nice and very inviting and they held our bags for us for free while we walked around before catching a cab to the airport.

If you can get this hotel for half of the normal price, go for it. If not, stay away!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Outdated rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, May 27, 2008
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.

In Q1 2008,we completed a 12 million dollar room renovation,giving our rooms a fresh and soothing appearance so while our ooms did not appeal to you,they are very up to date in design. The final touch on the room renovation will be the addition of flat screen TV's this Fall.at a cost of almost $1 million dollars.

I do ask you to personally contact me for your next trip to our hotel so we can ensure your stay exceeds your expectations.

Northbrook
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I recently stayed here for work. When I got off the elevator and realized I was directly across from the elevator I was worried about the noise. But, since I wasn't going to be in my room very much I decided not to change rooms. I quickly realized that it wasn't the noise from the elevators that would bother me, but the noise from the room next door. I heard the phone ringing while I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and ran into the main room to answer it. I suddenly realized that the phone wasn't ringing in my room, but the room next door! I also heard, verbatum, conversations from the ladies next door to me as well! I never approached the subject with the hotel since these instances occurred while I was getting ready to leave my room and not at night. Whenever I did interact with the staff , they were nice and accommodating and the location was great. It's within easy walking distance to some great shopping and lots of restaurants. The room was comfortable and clean. It did not have a flat screen TV as most better hotels do. It has a small Fitness Center on the 3rd floor with 24 hr access with your room key. I did not personally pay for this room, so I cannot say whether it was a good value or not. All in all a good experience except for the thin guest room walls.

Stayed May 2008
Thank you very much for your feedback. We apreciate the opportunity to be of service and invite you to join us again in the future.

I ask you to contact me personally so we may identify which room you were in during your stay. We wish to determine if there exists an engineering issue with the room you were in. Some muffled noise from a room next store is normal in a hpotel but your noise experience was excessive and we need to investigate it further.

We have received confirmation that we will receive flat screen TV's in Q3 of 2008. Ata cost of almost $1 million,these TV's will have the abiltiy to hook up your ipod and your computer to play music or movies of your choice.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

We are at your service.

Decatur, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

In the last year or two, my wife and I have stayed there twice. The first time, they put us in a room right by the elevator shaft. Noisy! It ruined our sleep and entire weekend.

Next time we stayed, as guests of some friends of ours, the air-conditioner did not work. The room was about 77 degrees all night. Stifling! It was so hot, I had to sleep with all of the covers off and no cloths on. I called for service, but none (effective, that is) ever showed up.

You can do much better than the Westin.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Air conditioning
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us at The Westin Michigan Avenue. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

During the first 3 months of 2008,we installed a 4 pipe heating ventilation and cooling system that gives our guests complete individual control of their room temperature. This renovation was a $6 million enhancement to our hotel and ensures your next stay that your room will be your desired temperature.

We are at your service.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

The location of this Westin can't be beat, but the facilities are definitely showing their age.

I booked online, using SPG points and was able to do an early check-in. The room was small but well appointed with two double beds. I was on the SPG preferred floor (12th floor), with a view directly onto the John Hancock building. There was free water every day, as well as turn-down service.

Now the negatives. We had issues with the plumbing in the bathroom, and had to call housecleaning to fix it. It was fixed immediately. At the end of the stay, I noticed dried blood (ick!) on the duvet cover. The walls are paper thin. I could hear people in the adjoining room quite clearly. Thankfully, they weren't very noisy, but their morning noises were loud enough to wake me and I'm a pretty sound sleeper.

I stayed at this hotel because it was free with points. If I needed to pay out of pocket for my next visit, I'd probably choose another place.

Stayed April 2008
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, May 8, 2008
Thank you very much for your feedback. We take guest comments very seriously and welcome the opportunity to address them when they occur.

The Westin Michigan Avenue has just completed $12 million dollar renovation in Q1 2008. As an 18 year Westin employee who has stayed in the hotel numerous times prior to becoming part of the staff,our physical plant has never looked better due to the over $35 million invested by the owners in renovations since 2002. W are very proud of our facilities we compete very well with the best hotels in the city.

It good to see the operations team quickly fixed the plumbing yet we regret there was any issue at all.

The duvet should have been spotless and there is no excuse for it not being so. We apologize for the oversight and we hope you notified the front desk so we could rectify the mistake.

Our walls are normal wall thickness for a hotel and we regret that you were disturbed by the guests next door in the morning. They are not sound proof so some sound is going to come through them. When I moved to this assignment, I lived in the hotel for 2 weeks and this was never a problem.

The next time you visit the hotel, please contact me directly to make your reservation. We are at your service.

Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed at the Westin on Michigan Avenue on April 24 - 27, 2008. I DO NOT recommend it! We chose it because of the great location. We were told that we had to use a bus boy and that we had to valet park for $46/ night. As I was checking in (we reserved 2 adjoining rooms), we were treated rudely by the front desk. I politely asked if they had our Starwood Preferred Guest number on file for the reservations. They did, but we were not offered an upgrade (we're Gold preferred level) like the gentleman next to us.

The rooms were fine, but nothing special. Then we realized that our toilet was leaking and actually broken. When my husband called down to report the leak, he was again treated quite rudely. Our toilet was leaking water all over the floor for goodness sake - it's not like we were that picky! The bathtub also didn't drain well and the shower curtain was dirty.

We stopped by the concierge desk on 5 different occasions over our 3 night stay and each time, we were brushed off. It was like we were bothering them! I do have to say that one of the front door people and one of the bus boys were extremely nice and helpful, but if it wasn't for them, I would have given the experience an even worse rating.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The rude staff.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, May 7, 2008
Thank for your feedback during your stay with us. It is our goal at The Westin Michigan Avenue that you leave feeling better than when you arrived.We fell far short of that goal during your stay and we apologize for the poor perfomance and your overall experience .

Our staff has received extensive training in how to make a guest feel they belong,they are welcomed and understood.

The parking price is in line with what an upscale hotel in Chicago charges. The guestrooms were all renovated in Q1 2008 and are in excellent shape.

The toilet breaking is not part of any normal guest experience and there is no excuse for our staff not treating you in a welcoming manner and this has been addressd with our Director of Operations.

We strive to make our hotel an oasis form thre rigors of the road. I invite you to contact me personally to make your arrangements in the future.

Again,thank you for your feedback.

Brian Quinn

Been to The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago? Share your experiences!