“Horrible experience!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

You added The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago to your Saves list
The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   909 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #97 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rockford, Illinois, United States
“Horrible experience!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went into Chicago for an anniversary trip. Our room wasnt ready yet so the hotel offered to store our luggage for us in a "secure" closet. Once our room was ready; we checked in and they said that they couldnt locate our luggage but would bring it up to us when they found it. An hour later, we still hadnt seen our suitcase. Security stated that they checked their security cameras and they see our luggage going into the "secure" closet but they have no idea where it is. Managers were very rude!!!! We were left with absolutely nothing the entire night. After speaking to the day manage the following morning we were feeling better. He said the insurance company would reimburse us for our "lost" items. We totalled everything up and they had lost for $3000 our personal items. That was over three months ago and finally heard from the insurance company and they are offering us a $250 for everything. VERY UPSET. I WILL NEVER STAY AT ANOTHER WESTING AGAIN!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello sweet24791,

Thank you for sharing this experience. We are sincerely sorry for this incident and we assure you that this is not a typical experience at the Westin Michigan Avenue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Kristin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Nothing unusual. Nice functional place that seems central. As with many business trips I hardly left the hotel.

The rooms were fine and the bed was perfect.

Minibar had the usual astonishing prices: $5 for a packet of red liquorice.

I did notice that some areas that are usually hidden (eg janitorial areas) were more obvious (doors left open etc). The check-in area had an usual configuration. The beginning of the line was across a walkway.

No other surprises which is always good. I hate surprises on a trip like this- they are usually not good surprises.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Hi trripman,

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for taking the time to share this information. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we are glad that you enjoyed our Heavenly bed. We hope to see you again, perhaps on business or leisure.

Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here four nights recently while attending a conference at the University of Illinois.

Had a King bed on the 24th floor.

Checkin was smooth at the Preferred guest booth. Customer service was excellent as the young lady was very friendly.

Room was typical Westin, but the bed seemed a bit worn as one side constantly pushed down when I sat on the corner. Bathroom was a bit worn and dated as well but I find this at a lot of Westins. My biggest pet peeve is no fans and this one didn't have one in the bathroom. UGh. Still room was very clean and spacious. Since I was situated right near the elevators I was able to hear the 1am drunks stumbling out of the elevator. Oh well.
Wifi was terrible in my room. Glad I didn't have to pay for it.

The hotel bar was definitely alive after work with people mingling. There was a conference at the hotel (or 2 or 3) so I'm sure a lot of those people frequented the bar. Had a drink or two for a couple of nights but never ate in.

One of the elevators also was possessed. Doors would take 4-5 tries to close properly before the elevator would move.

Checkout was smooth if not indifferent from the front desk clerk. "Here you go" was the only thing he said as he handed me my bill.

You are situated right affront of the Hancock Tower so there is a great buzz around the hotel. Lots of restaurant choices (if not touristy) and lots of overpriced shopping but still a fantastic place to be centered location wise.

Would I stay here again? Hmmm maybe. I'm a point lover. But there are lots of hotel options around here. I've stayed at various Westin Properties and this one is probably situated in the middle in terms of typical Westin Experience. Not Bad. Not great either.

Hi morphius909,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We're sorry this took a while to respond. We will certainly take your feedback about the rooms and the check out service into careful consideration when trying to improve our hotel. Once again, we appreciate your feedback. We hope to impress you more next time!

Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'm afraid our stay at the Westin Michigan Ave. in Chicago began with a poor customer service experience at check-in.

At this point, my husband and I confirmed with the two front-desk employees we dealt with that we are Starwood members. I then requested a lake view room, if available. Raven said this was no problem though she added that there were no lakeview rooms open located any higher than the fifth floor. We told her this was no problem and followed a bellman up to our room. Well, it was indeed on the fifth floor but certainly had *no* lake view. My husband then returned to the front desk to straighten things out only to be told by Raven that she thought I'd requested a Mich. Ave. view room rather than a lakeview room and now she had no such rooms available. Puh-leeze. "Michigan Ave. view" does not sound at all like "lakeview". No compensation was offered to us by front-desk staff for this misunderstanding.

We also found the restaurant's food to be overpriced for its quality. Two basic cheeseburgers with an ice tea and one beer ended up costing us almost $50. (We're former New Yorkers so are accustomed to expensive food but this was a bit much.)

In addition, we encountered a noise problem in our room two nights in a row. Loud audio from our next door neighbor's TV blared each of these nights until almost one in the morning, preventing my husband from getting to sleep. The soundproofing between the walls of this Westin must be very poor indeed.

Finally, I found the selection of toiletries in our bathroom to be inadequate for a hotel of this level. There was no shower gel or even an extra shower cap provided in the bath.
Chicago has quite a few hotels in the same price range as this Westin so based on our experiences there, I doubt we'll be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Mary50,
Please accept our deepest regrets about your recent check-in experience. We apologize for the confusion with your room and we hope you understand this is not a typical Westin Michigan Avenue experience. We would love to get the opportunity to have you back again so we can show you a truly renewing stay.
Best regards,
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Westin for 6 nights during a few hot days. 'Hardware-wise' I find Westin good. Bed, air-con, shower measured up to scratch. Location fabulous.
I am sorry but I feel this Westin's service-wise is inconsistent towards apathy. To be fair my rental of sports shoes was correct and delivered promptly. However, do not expect to get room cleaned till late afternoon ( up to 5pm) as informed by a indifferent Mayra; cannot get stamps for postcard from front reception, prompt laundry pick up, etc. I found initiative lacking in their service.

• Stayed September 2012
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear cottgirl,
Thank you for your recent stay and your review. I am so happy to hear you utilized our New Balance gear lending program so you could work out without having to pack your gym clothes. Please accept my apologies that our service did not meet your expectations. We strive to go above and beyond, so we hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Warmest regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

When you book a room at a Westin, generally you're assured that you're in for a good experience, but sadly, this Westin doesn't live up to those expectations. The customer service is poor- I'm a SPG Platinum member, and I had to wait a good amount of time as there was nobody at the check-in counter. Also, there's no Club-Room, the continental breakfast option they give as Welcome Amenity is absolutely crappy. The room is OK, but bathrooms are very small. Also, their sound-proofing is bad- you wake up in the morning hearing doors being open and shut. It's like staying at Four Points Sheraton, and paying for Westin. I will not recommend staying here, there are many better hotels in Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators
Fox Lake, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

At first glance the hotel is nice looking. My company booked this hotel so I didn't have a choice. After talking with some colleagues they had said their rooms were nice enough but a few had bad opinions of the room quality. I had to take pictures for them to believe it.
Cons.
The paint was peeling off of the ceiling. The wall paper was peeling off and was stained in places. The door jam has been painted multiple times and was peeling in spots. There was something disgusting stuck in the textured wall paper in the bathroom. The caulk in the shower was stained and looked to be installed by a 5 year old. the screws in the vent in the shower were falling out. The vanity was scraped and very worn. The light switch had dirt/dust lodged inside of it.
Pros.
The bed was comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently renovated. (I'm not sure if they did recently renovate but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Business_Matt,
Please accept our sincerest apology for the condition of your room. This is not a typical Westin experience, and we hope you will take this into consideration should you have the opportunity to return. I am happy to hear you were pleased with our Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower. We do hope you will allow us to welcome you back in the future.
Warm regards,
Lauren

Been to The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago? Share your experiences!