“Fantastic location, and comfortable beds.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile

You added The Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
The Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 E Chestnut Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #116 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Medford, Oregon, United States
“Fantastic location, and comfortable beds.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I was very disappointed when I arrived at this hotel. I guess I am spoiled with elevators that move quickly and coffee in my room. I adjusted to the disappointment quickly and found a bright side.

The staff is wonderful. (especially considering they hear a lot of complaining everyday) The beds are really comfortable and that is huge. Starbucks is right across the street!

The locations was incredible. I could practically walk everywhere I needed to be, huge upside. By the end of my stay I was really enjoying what I thought was a disaster.

Room Tip: The residential building is very old and needs updating desperately. It is good to know in advance...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Christine W, General Manager at The Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Christine Wechter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This place is just ok. The bedding is nice (minus the gross blanket under the duvet). I had a king room next to the elevator which I thought would be problematic, but it actually turned out just fine. The bathroom needed updating. The shower has a temperature gauge on it which was funny to me - I know now that my ideal shower temp is 105 degrees LOL :-). The desk staff was odd, the women who checked me in said to me "No partying" when I asked to stay on the same floor as my friend - when we are both on a business trip. And I'm 39. REALLY? Maybe if I was 60 that would have been funnier, but I felt like I was being scolded. The bedroom furniture needs to be thrown out, it's totally from 1983. It was rather nice to take my glass of wine from Ditka's to my room. Parking is $60 a night!!! Plan ahead to save some money somewhere a few blocks away as I know you can get overnight parking for about $45. A long walk to the Mart, but great location for Michigan Ave shopping and Rush street bars/restaurants. The gym is 2 blocks away at the Westin (lame).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear electra369,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and Ditka's. We hope to see you again soon.

Lancaster, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

first let me say we have only stayed in chicago twice, this being the first on the magnificent mile. the location was fantastic. we walked and walked and got to see a great deal of things and it is very close to the red line train. i thought the staff was very courteous to us the entire trip, which was three days. i liked the historical feel to the building, felt like i was stepping back in time.

i didn't care much for the bed or the pillows. we woke each morning very stiff. the hotel is in need of some tlc. i noticed in our room peeling wallpaper in the bathroom and the tub had stains. outside our door, in the hallway, there was some sort of dark liquid (coffee or coke?) splashed down one wall. the woodwork in the entire building seems like it needs a good painting.

i'm not sure if these conditions are common for busy hotels in chicago. i might be spoiled from staying in "resorts" on vacation or in nice places in las vegas.

be prepared if you are driving and want to park. they charge $61 per night to park. i booked on a special they were having offering free valet parking. when i got my bill, i noticed they charged me for parking one night but when i brought it to their attention, they removed it from the bill. they emailed me an updated bill but it still isn't right. hoping to hear from their billing department in the next day or two.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Todd S.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of the hotel. Our location and staff are wonderful. We did renovate the living portion of the lobby recently and also installed new carpet in all guest rooms and hallways. We will be progressing on making additional updates throughout the year. We look forward to your return.

Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The best I would say is, great location, nice staff and nice bed.
Spoiler alert. Don't read this if you got a great rate and don't want to be persuaded not to stay. It's an old building. What Tremont really needs to do is spend a lot of money and gut out old plumbing etc. New carpet and a nice bed doesn't, a nice room, make. They really tried to help us but when you come in to a room, the toilet and sink need to work. People really demand this of the hotel they stay at and on the third attempt to make the toilet work properly they switched our room. Our travel companion's a/c wasn't working either. The place doesn't need to look Ritz, but it does need to function. Sorry Tremont, I think you intend to do right by your customers. Good luck.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mynamehere2013,

I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review. As stated our location is great, nice staff and beds are nice. I was sorry to read about the challenges in your room. I would be happy to discuss in further detail with you. Please do not hesitate to reach out directly to me.

Port Stanley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Tremont for Memorial Day weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. This unique "old school - classic" type hotel instantly offers a sense of relaxation as soon as you enter the lobby. Our room was large, clean and quiet. The staff was extremely friendly; always willing to offer assistance. Although the hotel only has one elevator, we found that the waiting period was very short, even when the hotel was at full capacity. The location is outstanding allowing us to visit the city by foot and enjoy all the amenities nearby. We will definitely visit the Tremont during our next stay in Chicago!

A special than you to the General Manager - Christine Wechter who was particularly helpful and responsive prior to and during our stay. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others, as well as all SPG members.

Diane and Blake

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Diane and Blake,

I'm so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay. Please do not hesitate to reach out directly to me in the future. We look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have stayed at this property over 30 times in the last 12 months. Here is all you need to know about this hotel, all pros & cons:

Pros: Amazing Location, Cheap, Boutique Hotel, Good Rooms, Next to Mike Ditkas (can order room service from Ditka's), friendly staff.

Cons: Slow Elevator, No Amenities (NO gym, mini bar, etc), Short Staff, Always remodeling.

I still choose to give it a 5 Star, because it has everything one would want to travel on business: Priced Well, Clean, Great Location, and Good Food. Perfect for IN-and-OUT.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Beenover60countries,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We hope to see you again soon.

Apollo Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great location, close to Loyola and to MM. Very safe and clean location. As others have noted, this is a cramped, tired property. Bed was awesome and bathroom clean-although dated. The internet was sketchy in coverage. No snacks/soda machine on site, walk a few blocks for that. Did not try the food so i can't comment. Lots of good restaurants in the neighborhood. Hotel only has one elevator, so you wait pretty much every time for several minutes.

In a city with great hotels-this is not one of them.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear WorldTravelRod,

Thank you for your comments about the location and beds. We hope to see you again soon.

Christine Wechter

Been to The Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!