“Lovely Boutique Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Lovely Boutique Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We live in the Chicago area, but had dinner plans downtown and decided to avoid driving home at the last minute. We took advantage of a very attractive rate offered on SLH for The Talbott. This property has been around since the late 1920's through many incarnations. The most recent improvements were well executed. The rooms and public areas have been updated. The bar redesign is very well done with lots of glass and reflective materials, but still maintains the warm, inviting feel it always had. The rooms are still very traditional and cozy, but functional and well equipped. The staff are all friendly, helpful and eager to please. We prefer a boutique hotels over chains which is why we chose The Talbott. The location is perfect. You can walk to everything. We will certainly be back even though we live just 15 miles away!

1,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We spent a long weekend at the Talbott for an art show at the hotel in February. This was our first stay at the Talbott; we will never stay anywhere else in Chicago. A boutique hotel with a marvelous associated restaurant, the Talbott is immaculate, quiet, comfortable and in every way accommodating to guests. Every staff member at the hotel goes out of the way to be friendly and helpful. There could be no better service. The location is superb, just off Michigan Ave Magnificent Mile and upper Rush Street. Rooms are large and comfortable, exceptionally well appointed. Reserve on line and get a $30 for two breakfast voucher per day in the attached restaurant. No better value in the city - a gem!

MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Talbott is a charming, beautiful little hotel right in the heart of downtown Chicago.
Staff is wonderful. The hotel has a boutique look and feel. Our room on the 6th floor was nicely sized and beautifully appointed. Free Wifi is a bonus. Very reasonable price for downtown Chicago. Restaurant next door is very good and had live music on Fri. night. My room had no view, but it was very quiet and that matters more to me.
I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Beecher
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

First time in Chicago in many years. Needed to get away and the Talbott experience did not disappoint. After reading many reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to reserve room at this accomodation. You notice the very classy atmosphere as soon as you enter the front door. All staff are very friendly, personable, and informative. Right here, I have to mention someone special (Dwayne), the doorman. We have an inside joke...he spells his name wrong. Dwayne allowed us to enjoy the special sites and venues that make the Windy City a special place. Please connect with him...tell him Duane sent you...lol. The rooms are elegantly decorated and private. Hotel is centrally located, a few blocks from the Magnifcent Mile and Water Tower Mall. Tempo resturant, around corner is a great place to eat anytime during the day. Not expensive at all. Will be back sooner than later for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I spent a whole day trying to decide where to stay in Chicago. I was online going back and forth looking at reviews, locations, rates through Kayak. Back and forth, back and forth. I finally went with the reviews and chose The Talbott. How could so many people agree that this place is truly awesome? Trust me folks. It is the best hotel I have stayed in! I have stayed at the higher end places but with those places come high end breakfasts, charges for every little thing. I am so happy that I chose this place. The lobby is cozy with sofas and fireplaces. A nice little bar/restaurant attached producing high-end hand crafted libations. The attention given and the level of service is superior. Room 309 is cozy and perfect. Apparently, the higher corner floors are more spacious. Most likely, with better views but I am okay tucked away without any street noise. It is a perfect location. Just off of the Magnificent mile but feels like a world away. The Goddess and Grocer is across the street along with a Starbucks and a little supermarket right around the corner. When we arrived we were advised by Perry the bellhop to go to Dublin's for a pint and some grub. Perfect suggestion. We did some shots of whiskey to take off the edge off of the -4 windchill factor and wrapped it up at the bar here. Got a great night's sleep. The beds are heavenly and the toiletries pretty high end. Cab ride here was $40 bucks from ORD and well worth it if you don't want to mess with the train.
It is my birthday weekend, so to top it all off the concierge, Gene, helped a friend of mine arrange a basket of wine and cheese to wait for me upon arriving back after a long day out.
Then, to my surprise, The Talbott actually left a card with a treat tray of nuts, chocolate and candy in the room when we arrived back today.
Just the kind of service and attention to detail that is so rare. Don't think twice between here and the other high ends like the Sofitel or Intercontinental. This place cannot be beat.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stumbled across the Talbott Hotel through a deal on Orbitz and was thrilled with my stay. I booked directly through the hotel but they matched the Orbitz deal. I had a corner room with a couch, large bathroom with two sinks and two easy chairs. They even have glass glasses for drinking, not plastic ones! Internet is included in the room - very convenient. I walked along Lake Michigan a couple mornings which was only 1/2 mile from the hotel. Michigan Avenue is only two blocks away - great shoppinig very close :) I stayed four nights and didn't want to leave! Darren, the evening bellman, took me under his wing and greeted me each time I left and returned. He always asked about my day/evening and where I was going. He gave me great restaurant suggestions, as well as directions for walking to my destinations. The turn-down service is fun and overall, this was a great find. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant as I walked arond the corner to the Potash Market and bought soup, fruit and yogurt. Another morning, I walked to the Tempo Cafe for a delicious breakfast (at Darren's suggestion). I'm happy to give the Talbott an awesome review!

Room Tip: If you can handle the extra charge, upgrade to a 500 sq ft room - it was worth it!