“Excellent Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Louisville, Kentucky
“Excellent Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip and my wife was traveling with me. The staff was very friendly and acted like they appreciated our business. The location, just a couple of blocks off of Michigan Ave is nice and quiet. Hotel is very nice, I will defintely stay here the next time I travel to Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

1,123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The minute you arrive you are treated like a king or queen Charles, Dwayne,Tanner, Perry, Louis,are the BEST along with the rest of the staff nothing but EXELENCE. Will continue to stay here when visiting Chicago

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Morrow, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

There are many reasons why this hotel is one of the best in Chicago...

I traveled there for a work function and meeting that was going to be held at The Drake. While I very much enjoyed my stay there, I was looking for a new place to stay. I came across The Talbott Hotel and was happy I did.

First of all, it's a smaller property. But the size makes it feel more cozy and personal. The lobby is perfect. Sitting by the fire one evening reading a book was a treat.

Second, check-in was a wonderful experience. I arrived my first day around 11am thinking I wasn't going to be able to check-in until the stated time of 3pm. The lovely lady at the front desk thought otherwise and immediately checked me into my room.

The rooms were wonderful. The Talbott calls itself a boutique hotel. I like boutique hotels. I like small rooms. This room was anything but small. It was a nice balance of space and comfort. A previous review said that the decorating was like being in grandma's attic (or something like that). That couldn't be further from the truth. The decorating of the rooms and the lobby reminded me of an elegant lounge from the 1950's...rich colors and wood throughout.

The bed was extremely comfortable and I had no problem whatsoever sleeping at night...no noise from the outside. They also offer turn down service which is a nice touch.

Service was ever present throughout the entire place...from the doorman to the front desk to those that cleaned the rooms.

If I had to choose one area that needed improvement, it would be the menu and food of the restaurant off the lobby. It's very limited in selection. For example, as a vegan, there was only one thing I could eat for lunch/dinner and that was a salad. Breakfast was only a simple fruit plate. Skip the coffee there...it's not very good. Walk across the street to Starbucks and get your morning joe there. For dinner, walk to Karyn's Cooked...it's worth it.

Bottom line...there's a reason why The Talbott Hotel is one of the top rated in Chicago. It's now on my list of go-to places.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 13th floor and it was very quiet. No street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pickerington, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Chicago on Friday, October 26, 2012, for a "week-late" anniversary celebration. The reason for the delay was to attend the Barbra Streisand concert (great I might add). We could stay only one night at the Talbott Hotel. The hotel is centrally located - just a short walk from Michigan Avenue and the Sears (?) Building. The room was perfect; it was just the right size and the bathroom was large. The staff was very attentive - from the Doorman to the Front Desk. We had a light lunch late Friday afternoon and breakfast on Saturday morning ($15 off per person). Waiter was great and food was very good. I highly recommend this hotel - we will definitely stay there again on our next trip to The Windy City.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor facing the street. It was very quiet and you could easily walk the one f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Thanks to all the positive reviews in Tripadvisor I chose the Talbott Hotel for my stay in Chicago. I am not a big fan of anonymous international hotel chains and what I found at the Talbott Hotel was exactly what I had been looking for!

Such beautiful decorations during Christmas time, a fire burning in the cosy lounges, very friendly staff, great location within walking distance to all the department stores, shops and restaurants. My room was very comfortable, spacious and I enjoyed my favorite Molton Brown amenities. Bath robes were provided, but the only thing I really missed were a pair of slippers that usually go with them! Next time I won't forget to pack my own.

I didn't have breakfast at the hotel but went across the road to "The Godess and Grocer" for some freshly pressed orange juice and a toasted breakfast bagel. A wonderful delicatessen with a wide range of delicious choices. I took it back to my room to enjoy it with the free coffee from the Keurig coffee maker.

Next time I come to Chicago I will definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great little hotel in easy walking distance of the Magnificant Mile on North Michigan. The rooms are very nice and very quiet. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Wonderful place to spend time in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at the Talbott from 4 to 7 November 2012 and was there when Barack Obama was reelected. This is a boutique hotel committed to treating its guests as individuals and going the extra mile. The room was comfortable and everything worked well. A problem working the state of the art TV service was attended to promptly, cheerfully and successfully by the engineer. The bed was excellent. Tim, the concierge, was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was effective in securing a reservation for me in a top restaurant I was keen to try. He guided me to the Chicago attractions I wanted to experience. The restaurant is outsourced and was undergoing some changes when I was there. The service had some idiosyncratic features and the Continental breakfast was bread heavy but quite generous. The service was friendly. Chicago is a wonderful city. The Talbott is well located and works to help guests fully enjoy their Chicago experience. I would happily return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Talbott Hotel? Share your experiences!