“Old style grandeur, meets modern room comforts!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

You added Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   163 East Walton Place, at N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #66 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Seattle
“Old style grandeur, meets modern room comforts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was a break in tradition for us. With travel accounts, we usually stay at one of two brands that have several properties on and around Michigan Ave. This time, I wanted to try a hotel with a different feel. The property is about 2 blocks from Michigan Ave - and close to Lakeshore Drive; so well situated. It definitely retains it's old time grandeur in the lobby and common areas. A huge chandelier with very ornate decor, so unique. Like everywhere, your valet parking will be quite expensive - but the staff was exceptional as you'd expect. There is a bar and a restaurant in the lobby. Be prepared, the elevators are very small. 4 people with one bag each, or 6 people with no luggage, and you're elbow to elbow. Again - they've retained their old time charm, so who can complain! The rooms are where you'll find modern conveniences. We had two rooms, 1King and 2double - both had computers in the room...so handy. Each had large 40in (?) TVs and the bathrooms were nicely remodeled. The bathroom in the 1K was very very small. I'm 5'6 and i could extend my arms and touch the shower glass enclosure and the counter. Plenty of room, just small. Our 2nd room with 2 double beds had a much larger bathroom, if that's of any issue for you. Again, our rooms faced out to the interior corridor of the hotel, which had a quite dismal view of the same backside of the Westin hotel. Just hundreds of windows closed in around you blocking out all natural light, etc. Our recommendation is to ask for a street facing room - problem solved.
The concierge and bell captain were terrific, check in and out was simple. One room had an honor bar stocked and the 2nd room, empty. Be sure to look when you check in to ensure you dont get charged for something you didn't use!! I would recommend this, and would stay here again!

Room Tip: Interior wall rooms face out into a dismal U shaped view of the backside of the westin hotel rooms...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed at the Millennium Knickerbocker in July 2014 and we loved it. Were very pleased with our room after reading many negative reviews. It was clean, tidy, spacious and had a nice view too. The staff, especially the Manager Sam, were wonderful. Its location is outstanding. If you want to shop the Magnificent Mile, you are RIGHT there. And I can't walk a lot but boy was I checking out all the shops! Public transport is also nearby to take you to Navy Pier, Millennium Park, or just the other end of the Mile. The only drawback was concierge - not very helpful at all. I would suggest you ask reception instead (or the bartender - he was very helpful too). Great restaurants also within walking distance too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Velma W, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your review and we are happy to know that you enjoy our location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Velma Wong
Birkerod, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have stayed in the Knickerbocker on three different occasions (every time with kids) and we love it. Easily the best hotel we have stayed in in Chicago (10+ trips). Very nice and spacious rooms and you can't beat the location. Every time we have needed the staff they have been nice and very helpfull. One time they even got a hold on our cabdriver while we were going to the airport to tell us we had forgotten our stroller. We are planning on coming back in march. Only negative is that there is no free wifi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you think that the Millennium Knickerbocker is the best hotel in Chicago. Our staff takes pride in committing to providing helpful and good service for our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again in March!

Velma Wong
Owensboro, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here a few years back when in town for business. The room was small and old overlooking the alleyway with a hefty price tag. I wasn't too impressed with the room but the location and service was excellent. The valet parking and good information from the front desk was impeccable.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you felt the location and service was “excellent”. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you’re in Chicago!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed in one of the suites here, the room was nice with a soaking tub, location was great near main shopping strip. Unfortunately that's where it stops.
There was no concierge to help us with planning activities, lucky we had trip advisor to help
You have to pay to use Internet!!!
The staff in general were absolutely useless , I think it's a moral thing as I heard some talking on how they hated working there.
Overall there are better places to stay near by
Only once out of the week we stayed did the bellboys get me a cab, it was to cold for them to go outside, or maybe they just weren't engaged in their job

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on trip advisor and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with our staff. Your comments are not taken lighting and proper measures were taken. I regret that you were unhappy with your stay at the hotel. Next time you’re in the city, my team and I hope that we can make it up to you

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family and I stayed here this past summer when in town for the Orioles vs Cubs games. First off, the location is wonderful! Just a few steps and you're on the Magnificent Mile or over by the beach/lake area. The bus was easy to catch when we needed to get somewhere and right around the corner. The closest El stop was several blocks away though. When we checked in, my parents room was ready right away while my sister and I had to wait.I had called ahead the day before and that morning and was told both rooms would be ready. I understand things happen though so I wasn't too upset by that and we put our stuff in my parents room. Once we got to our room, it was spacious, plenty of room for 2 girls to get ready and throw our stuff around. The elevators though - very small! Then again, this an older hotel and you could say it's part of it's charm. However, two nights we were there at one point only one elevator worked and everyone was playing the waiting game. When i walked up the steps to try and nix the elevator I found out that the steps start at the 3rd floor so you had no choice but to wait. (Also, just curious isn't that a fire code violation to have the stairs start on the third floor?) The staff though, while I did have one nice front desk attendant, the others were a bit rude and stand offish. There were two times when I was standing there waiting to be helped and they just kept talking to each other in the backroom.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your spacious room. We have taken your comments regarding our elevators seriously and do have stairs on all levels for our guests. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We hope that we can provide you with a more memorable stay next time you visit the Windy City.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went to see my daughter in Chicago and see the city. My first time outside of O'Hare Airport. When we arrived, the staff was great, but my wife had made a reservation for two rooms, one under our name and the other inadvertently ended up under my (soon to be) son in law's name. As I was unaware of this, the clerk at the counter could not find the reservation and copped an attitude that I was lying to sneak in an extra room or God knows what...He was arrogant and obnoxious, had my daughter not been there, I would have punched him out. Upon leaving, there was a second charge for valet parking on the same day. We took cabs and never moved the car. When I approached the (same) clerk about it, again with the attitude as if I was lying. This time my daughter wasn't around, but the GM was when I went to his office. They fixed the billing error, but not the employee attitude. I would never go back at the prospect that a single dime of mine might contribute to this person's salary.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. While it is a rare occurrence, we proactively try to make every guests stay as memorable as possible. We spoke with the front desk staff about this issue and took necessary action. We hope that we can make it up to you next time.

Florencio Ferrao

Been to Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!