“Didn't want to go home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

Save Saved
You added Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   163 East Walton Place, at N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #59 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
DeWitt, Michigan, United States
“Didn't want to go home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stayed at the Knickerbocker hotel this past weekend. This charming hotel was just what I thought it would be. A beautiful mix of old and new. Every staff member was friendly and very helpful. I love the Gold Coast neighborhood. Great shopping and great restaurants and most important a really comfortable bed. We attended a wedding reception in the ballroom and everything was perfect. I love the beautiful old buildings in Chicago. Good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

If you are visiting Chicago for leisure, go to the Drake, The Westin, or the Four Seasons (Budget Permits), but if you are in Chicago on a budget, you can't beat the $169 per night (Plus Tax & Fees) prepaid package of the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel. It is centrally located next to high end shopping and dinning areas in downtown Chicago. Food is good, the bar is tiny and the selection is limited. I did find an 18-Year Single Malt Scotch. That's a plus.
The Hotel is 30 minutes from O'Hare. The trip took us 90 minutes due to traffic, but that was expected.
When you enter, the reception area is spacious and inviting. It takes you a few minutes to figure out where the Front Desk is. If you're there for the first time, it's on your Left just behind the elevators. Front Desk Staff are very friendly.
The room is a NYC size room. Tiny and the King size bed eats all the space. wifi is not included in the package, and is sold in 24 hour increments. No complimentary water bottles, so if you need to take your meds and don't like the taste of Public Water, you need to buy the water. Mini bar prices are reasonable compared to hotels. $3 for a protein Bar, and $3 for a small water, $5 for a 1 Liter isn't that bad.
I enjoyed the fact that they had electronic menus for things like Attractions or Room Service, and used their Ticket Express Service to buy tickets for a sold out event. That was a nice touch.
One drawback was with cleanup. I've noticed some crumps on the elevator floor when I was leaving the hotel at 11 in the morning, and they were still there when I came back to the room at 6 in the evening. Other than that, all was good. I will stay there again if visiting Chicago on a budget.

Room Tip: NYC size rooms. You barley have enough space for a laptop
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I visited Chicago for the first time to celebrate our anniversary and his birthday. We stayed four nights. Even though we got our room for an amazing deal on Hotwire, the hotel treated us like royalty. On request we were upgraded, to a Superior King corner room. Thank you Gus! What a lovely room. We enjoyed drinks at the piano bar one evening, and an excellent breakfast at Nix restaurant. The service throughout the hotel was outstanding.

I have only good things to say about this hotel. As others have said it would be better to include free wifi in the rooms, but we were able to log on in the lobby bar so that helped. We were able to print our boarding passes for free in the business room. The concierge was very helpful with all my questions and on request gave us free entry coupons for a piano bar we were heading out to visit.

The elevators were perfect, I don’t know why anyone would complain about them. They were spacious, fast, and quiet. The heating/cooling system gave us exactly what we wanted and there was tons of hot water and the water pressure was always fine. Beautiful modern bathrooms with extra towels and a terry robe. Our room had plenty of easily accessible electrical outlets and mirrors, including a lighted makeup mirror. Beds were very comfortable.

And the location? Doesn’t get any better than this. Steps from The Magnificent Mile and easy walking distance to anything you might want to see. Or hop on the bus at the corner.

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: On request, they were able to upgrade our room.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is a nice place to stay in Chicago, located in the upscale Gold Coast section. The hotel is a historical landmark and very comfortable. The rooms and hallways are quiet ( a big plus in any hotel!) and the staff are very friendly. There is a bar, restaurant and casual eating available onsite. Parking is expensive though at $65 per day!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you had a very comfortable stay and that you found the rooms and hallways to be quiet. We hope that you’ll visit Chicago soon and choose the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel again!

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this hotel online with a AAA room rating. I had some questions at various times which were answered promptly. I needed to add a night to my booking just prior to my stay & there was no problem at all. The hotel was clean. The room was quite large with a queen size bed but the view from my room was looking south into another building. I was on the 11th floor. The hotel is close to many attractions, bus service & rail service. Michigan Avenue is within walking distance. I was heading to a Ballgame at Wrigley Field & took the red line train straight to the park from Chicago/State, quite close as well.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel during your recent trip to Chicago. We hope that you enjoyed the city and watching the Cubs play at Wrigley Field. I am happy to hear that you easily found the answers to your questions with our staff. We very much appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon!

Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First impression was how friendly and helpful all the staff were. At check-in, after looking to see what rooms were available, we were told "Sorry, we don't have a room with a view. It just looks onto the street". Feeling a little disappointed, we got to our room on the 3rd floor and ....... wow! This was the best room we had stayed in during our month long vacation. Sure, it looked out on East Walton Place but it was so quite. The room was BIG (at least by European standards). It was tastefully furnished, had a king (6' ft) bed with wonderful crisp sheets, an ample cupboard for hanging clothes with plenty of hangers, and a big bathroom with a walk-in shower. There were plenty of nice soft towels which got freshened up every day. Maid service was outstanding! We ate breakfast twice in 4 days - outstanding food & service. The staff at the cocktail bar, which we used every day!, were charming and knew how to make a great Margarita! Only complaint was there were 2 t/v's in the lounge constantly showing sport (well, baseball & American football if that's what you call sport!! I'm English and was brought up on Soccer, Rugby & Cricket - now, that's what I call sport!). Be careful of using the in-room monitor for internet access. If you do use it and you also use an i.pad/laptop as well, you might be charged twice the daily rate. We were, but queried the charge on checking out and the bill was reduced. We thought we had to use the in-room monitor to initially log on. The room was big enough for me to leave some of my clothes behind! Once back in the UK, I phoned the hotel and it was confirmed my belongings were in "lost & found". They were parceled up and sent to a friend in the Chicago area with no fuss and a minimal charge. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough - especially for the courteous service.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from your room to the breakfast and the Martini Bar to the “outstanding” service. We are also pleased to hear that we were able to mail your belongings back to you in a promptly manner. My team and I look forward to your return to the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel upon your next trip Chicago!

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed at the Knickerbocker from 15/09/14 for a week and had a great time. Hotel is in a perfect location just off the Magnificent Mile so it is a bit quieter. As soon as we arrived we met Charlie on the front door who helped us park y son's car for a great rate compared to the car park over the road. Had lots of chats with Charlie throughout the week and he told us all about the history of the hotel and the links with Al Capone which was fascinating. Charlie was great to talk to and just a shame that he wasn't working the day we checked out, hope he liked the card we left for him. The hotel lobby was nice with a comfortable bar area. When we checked in Simeon was very helpful and gave us a nice room on the 5th floor. The room was a good size, bed was huge and comfortable, TV was large and there was a useful information TV that helped us to pick out some good restaurants and attractions. The large rainhead shower was great and I had no problems with the water pressure unlike some reviews on here. We didn't have breakfast included in our rate so we did eat in the Nix restaurant on a few occasions and here we met another star in Andre who was so polite and helpful and always made us feel welcome. It was my wife's birthday while we were there and Andre gave her a free breakfast which was so generous. Again only regret was that on our last day Andre was working but again we hoped he liked the card we left for him. The hotel itself is in a great location with all the bars, shops and restaurants of Magnificent Mile on one side and close to the beach on the other side. This is an historic hotel that has been modernised but not too much and still retains an older charm. If you are looking for a modern/chic hotel then look elsewhere, but if you are looking for a grand old hotel which is comfortable and has brilliant staff then try the Knickerbocker. We'll be coming back to Chicago on a regular basis as our son has moved there so Charlie and Andre were coming to see you soon!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor with a view over the front street which wasn't very noisy. I think th...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

As a team, we truly appreciate the recognition provided in your review for Charlie, Andre and Simeon. I will be sure to pass on your kinds comments to them. Thank you for providing a thorough review of your stay. I was pleased to note that you greatly enjoyed your room and had a very comfortable experience. We welcome your return to Chicago!

Florencio Ferrao

Been to Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!