“Poor service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

Save Saved
You added Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   163 East Walton Place, at N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #59 of 169 hotels in Chicago
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I hope this hotel realizes that its not just about things like location or price that determines a good hotel and a hotel that makes people want to come back. It's also the service. I'm so glad I only had to stay here for a day since it was pretty bad, especially the first impression.

I was "welcomed" by Simeon at the front desk who nearly checked me in until he realized that my the debit card I paid with was not mine but my husband's. But he didn't even say that. Just shook his head and said "Can't do that." Can't do what? Did not even look at me and acted as though I took or stole somebody else's card to spend it. My husband had to stay in Chicago for work this week, while I was coming up from Indiana. That's why I had used his card and not mine.
So when I showed Simeon my debit card, of course Chase blocked it because it didn't know I was in Chicago. Simeon made the suspicious face again. It's absolutely fine if I need to pay with a card that has my name since I made the reservation. Simeon could have just said so. I could explain why I wasn't using my cards. My husband had just gone parking, so he was returning soon. Simeon shouldn't be making these faces.
The people at the front desk are usually the hotel's first impression (maybe the bellboys as well). I don't want to receive suspicious looks and bad service at a place I'm paying to stay. Honestly, this hotel needs to train its people how to treat their guests, explain to their guests, and maybe even how to act.
If that

• Stayed August 2014

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

As cabin crew we stay in this hotel a lot. We also really rely on a good sleep at our hotels as Chicago is 6 hours behind uk. Every time I have stayed here I get woken up by really noisy people outside my room, which I'm assuming the cleaners and mini bar people. I always put a do not disturb sign on the door so that they know someone is sleeping but that never helps . Maybe the hotel should invest in better doors and soundproof walls or just ask them to be polite and not shout outside people's rooms . Other than this hotel is lovely. Staff at front desk are very helpful Aswel .

• Stayed August 2014
Niles, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Knickerbocker came through again honoring a travel zoo voucher(s) that were about to expire! Superior King room, we even had vie of Lake Michigan, $25 drink credit, 2 free american breakfasts($18) all for $99, pretty hard to beat that deal!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Refurbished classic hotel, very nice and with great people! Good bar, clean and confortable beds. Plenty of space on the bedroom.

The only downside was the complementary wireless on the room. Any decent hotel has free wireless everywhere.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Independence, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I booked this hotel via a sort of "hotel roulette" from HotWire. I'd do it again. It promised a 4-star average rating hotel in the Magnificent Mile neighborhood for less than $125 per night (plus taxes & fees). Decided to go through with it and was not disappointed. Parking was very expensive but I was able to leave my car with a relative outside the city. The room was small but we had a king-sized bed which was pretty awesome. We were able to leave our luggage with the bellhop before our check-in and after our check-out. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
McLean, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I enjoyed staying at the hotel although the staff was not very helpful. They weren't rude at all, just not helpful. It is not as opulent as the Drake across the street but it is more affordable, more modern room style and they have suites which is nice. The beds were comfortable, it is remarkably quiet, elevators worked well and the location can not be beat for a downtown location. We walked down Rush street every night for dinner and it was beautiful.
Also - one downside is that like many of the hotels in Chicago it seems to charge for everything. Parking a car is $65 a night, the wi fi is $11 a day, even an apple cost me $2 - and make sure to incorporate all the taxes into your room rate!

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of an air conditioning unit in back so not very nice. But it was quieter...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our downtown location, comfortable beds and rooms. We also want to thank you for sharing what you liked least about your experience, as this will help us improve in the areas your addressed. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yours in Hospitality,
Florencio Ferrao
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The hotel which claims to be on the "Gold Coast" fell short of Gold Coast service. I attended a wedding and the reception was held at the Knickerbocker. Since the ceremony was early afternoon, most guests requested early check-in to change for the wedding ceremony. No one from the wedding party and/or wedding guests (other than the bride) were able to get into our rooms until after the wedding ceremony. There clearly was no preparation from the hotel to accommodate wedding reception guests. We were instructed by the Front Desk to change in the lobby restroom which looked like it wasn't clean from the night before. There was no consideration taken by the hotel's part. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: Plan to check in after 4pm for a clean room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We apologize that we were unable to provide early check-in for you and the wedding guests. Early check-in is based on availability and the hotel has been sold out, so we were unable to accommodate these requests. We hope that you had an enjoyable time at the wedding and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,
Florencio Ferrao

Been to Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!