“Great location, old time grandeur, palpable history, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

You added Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   163 East Walton Place, at N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Streeterville)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #82 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Chattanooga
“Great location, old time grandeur, palpable history, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We picked our hotel on the following criteria; price, location, and history. Family members were staying at the Westin. Our rate was nearly $100 less per night than it would be at the Westin (through Trivago), the MK was a very short walk rounding two corners, and a wonderful piece of nostalgic history; there are hotel tours! We were so happy we chose it. The staff was attentive, gracious, and very accommodating when asked if they could bring us a mini-fridge; we were there several days. Our king room on the 8th floor (room 808) was a bit cramped but every bit as nice as that of our family member’s, and nicer in several respects! We were happy to bit a bit cramped in exchange. We had lovely vistas facing E. Walton Place overlooking the terrace garden of Sotheby’s and views of garden balcony terraces of private residences in the building behind Sotheby’s. The MK lobby is old time grandeur with palpable history, and plenty of comfy sitting areas to enjoy whether waiting for family and reading, or just people-watching. On the last evening it was our family who suggested that we all meet at the MK martini bar for drinks and dinner; both of which were absolutely excellent; a great bar-tender to boot. A Grand Hotel! The icing and cherry on the cake of our little family get-away.

Room Tip: Ask for floor 6 or higher, facing E. Walton Place, room 808 or further towards the corner for nice g...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review on your recent stay at the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you greatly enjoyed the hotel and found our staff to be “attentive, gracious, and very accommodating”. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments. We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed dinner and drinks at the Martini Bar with your family. We hope that you’ll return to Chicago soon and have your entire family stay with us again.

Yours in Hospitality,
Florencio Ferrao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was very pleased with this hotel chosen on Hotwire at Magnificent Mile Area - River North. This is a classic downtown hotel with a very nicely updated room and modern bathroom. I basically slept at the Knickerbocker so can only speak of the very comfortable king-size bed and great shower. Yes there rooms are not large.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your bedroom and hope that you’ll stay with us again soon.

Yours in Hospitality,
Florencio Ferrao
Verona, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Ok guys, this is a great historic hotel in the heart of the city. Just get into the lobby and breathe the grandeur of the belle époque. The staff was gentle and efficient. I give three stars for the room. I booked through their website and paid the fully flexible rate. I expected the room was much bigger and comfortable, at least according to what described in the website and to the US standard. Tiny bathroom. The view was not nice (rear side of the hotel). What I find very disappointing in 2014 is to pay for wifi connection. On the other side, the room was clean, and the mattress excellent. To me, not good value for money (of course, not a budget hotel!). At the same conditions, would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Plymouth, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Just got back from 3 day stay here. Lobby of hotel is very ornate and beautiful. Small restaurant to the left and a nice size bar area to the right. Check in was flawless and front desk staff were very friendly. Sixth floor room with king bed. Room was a little crammed with this bed. Dressers and end tables were old and worn. Swivel chair at desk was from the eighties and falling apart. Bathroom was very modern with updated fixtures and and huge walk in shower with rain shower head. The bed was very comfy but the pillows were very soft. The room was very clean and neat. Hotel is at north end of Magnificent Mile and 1 block east of Michigan ave. It is about 12 blocks north of the Chicago river so it is not exactly centrally located. We had very good weather for the first two days so we did not mind walking everywhere we wanted to go. 5 stars for the service here but 3 stars for the room. Got a deal on Hotwire but do not thnk I would pay full price to stay here.

Room Tip: Do not get 601. No view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

As a partner in the restaurant industry, I wanted to take a minute to recognize and thank the Knickerbocker for a great stay... But, that's not the purpose of this review / write up. In my haste to jump in a cab, with a phone attached to my ear, I left behind my bag. I immediately contacted the hotel and Simeon located it quickly and I said I would turn around and return.

If Chicago traffic wasn't bad enough, battling it once, now I get to enjoy it three times... Oh well, my fault, right? Seconds later Simeon calls me back and says, Mr. Kendall, no need to return, I will put your bag in a car and have it sent to you at the airport.

That's service! Not to mention a HUGE time saver. Simeon, I thank you very much and please, never stop that level of care, concern and hospitality.

Cheers
Brian Kendall

• Stayed July 2014
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

People say that visiting Chicago in July is a toss-up. It could be hot and humid, is was not. It could be raining and thunderstorms, it wasn't. We were met by mid 70's and 57% (which is low for Chicago) and everyday was a true adventure.
Our hotel is an art-deco style building in the heart Chicago, built in mid 1920's with NIX a breakfast and lunch bright, colorful eatery with some great music provided by our knowledgeable waiter Andre. Some people might say it is a bit pricey, but your in a 5 star hotel in Chicago. Front desk staff was pleasant and quick to assist you. People also have said that the WiFi in rooms should be free, but again if your on vacation why do you need WiFi. The rooms have not been changed from when they were new so they seem small to some guests. The elevators are original size too also a bit small but OK. If you need assistance from concierge both Cheryl and her counterpart really know their stuff. Stop by most anytime to find out about eateries, museums, boat tours, etc. The deco style bar in lobby area had a special 'Tapas and Flamenco evening with great "small dishes" like fajitas chicken egg rolls-yummy, huge green-lipped mussels from New Zealand-largest we have ever seen and delicious, and more. We could not ask for better with fabulous guitarists and beautiful Spanish dancer.
Those were the best comments. The worst are that hotel charges $65 a day to park a car (outrageous) The new computers in rooms need correcting they go on at 8 a.m. and if you pull the plug-it will disconnect your telephone. All in all the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago was great!

Room Tip: Talk to Greg bellman he knows a great deal about hotel, cabs, just about everything.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I highly recommend this hotel. All of the hotel personnel that I interacted with were so professional and helpful- from the concierges at the front desk to the staff at the check in desk. For example, I arrived much earlier than expected and thought I would check my bags until a room was available. But as soon as I arrived, the staff at the greet desk suggested I go to the check in desk. At the check in desk, the staff immediately looked to see if a room was available and it was. She didn't have to do this and it was a busy time in the lobby. Also later I had to ask for directions from another staff person at the greet desk and he also was very helpful and knowledgeable. Even the maids were polite, smiling and helpful.
The room itself was really great. Quiet. Well designed. I even had a bit of a view of the Lake!

It is a fantastic location. Quiet. So close to the beaches. I went for a wonderful walk in the morning on the lakeshore.

At checkout the person who helped me also was very friendly and polite. This is a very carefully and well managed hotel. All of the aspects of my experience did not happen by accident. I was very impressed by the quality in all aspects.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that allows you to see a sliver of the lake. It was so terrific to be able to see the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!