“Beautiful but disorganized” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Drake Hotel

You added The Drake Hotel to your Saves list
The Drake Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 E. Walton Place, Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save $100 this Spring!
Ranked #51 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful but disorganized”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent 1 night at the Drake to celebrate her birthday. We mostly loved our stay there but they seemed overwhelmed with a wedding that was taking place.

Upon check-in at 3:30pm, we were told that our room was not ready and that we would have to wait an hour. I was told they would call my cell phone when the room was ready. That's extremely annoying since check-in time is supposed to be 3:30pm. We're paying for a room that we don't have. We also had our evening schedule planned around this check-in time; dinner reservations, blues club, etc. It's bad enough that our room wasn't ready but they also never called me. We left the hotel and walked down Michigan Ave for a bit. When we came back at 4:30pm, the check-in desk told me, "Yes, your room is ready. Oh, I see we were suppose to call you. Sorry". It definitely leaves you with the impression that they are disorganized. They at least gave us free wifi access for the inconvenience.

I rated the hotel 4-stars because it is very lovely. We had a lake view room on the first floor. That's a bit of a stretch as we could barely see the lake from our window which is at least a block away; however the room itself was very nice. It was clean and nicely decorated with high ceilings.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay despite the fact that the hotel staff seemed entirely focused on the large group attending the wedding at the expense of their individual guests.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you MidwestAlpinist for your review of your recent stay with us at The Drake Chicago.

Please accept my apologies for the delay on your room being ready and failure to call you once it was. I am glad you found your room clean and well appointed. Please contact me directly on your next visit to this area so I can ensure you do receive the lake view room you had requested and also ensure your room is ready upon arrival. I can be contacted at 3129324505, or at kathryn,m,day@hilton.com.

I look forward to hear from you,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Aurora
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Old school luxury at an affordable price. My parents stayed at this hotel on their first anniversary 50 years ago, and I enjoyed a similarly pleasant experience. What a great hotel property on the magnificent mile!

Great service, luxury and tremendous history. What a great experience!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Ppalian,

Thank you for your five star review of your stay with us. I am excited that you enjoyed the stay and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to this area.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was the most amazing High Tea Service I've ever experienced! At first I really didn't think we would have enough to eat, but rest assured there is more than what meets the eye. We cancelled our dinner reservations that evening because we were still full. Every attention to detail was overachieved from Wait Staff to Bartender. This is such a beautiful, historic Hotel. I will be returning. Soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jaqmo77,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your afternoon tea in the famous Palm Court. I have shared your comments with our Pastry Chef Christina who takes great pride to ensure the tea is to the five star level you reviewed us at. On behalf of the Palm Court team, we look forward to welcome you back again for tea very soon.

Kind regards,

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

As much as I would love to say that I enjoyed my stay here... that wasn't the case. When we arrived we were greeted promptly and taken care of at the front desk by a very polite man.

Once we got to our room, we realized it hadn't been properly cleaned. There were old make up items strewn on the desk chair and also a very unclean toilet. I called the guest services desk (or whatever it's called) and they said they would send someone to clean it up. No one ever came. I then talked to the front desk about it and she said she would send someone up. I'm not sure if they ever sent anyone or not because we left the hotel to explore, but when we came back.... all of those same problems persisted so we did some cleaning ourselves. Unacceptable.

When I went to take a shower I realized that the water in the tub was NOT draining at all. Not even a little bit. I then had to call guest services AGAIN. Someone did arrive within about 10 minutes though and had to work on the tub for about 10-15 minutes for the water to drain. I had no issues with the tub after that, but still.... left me kind of bitter considering all these issues we had since we arrived.

We also requested silverware from room service as we had brought up some Chinese food and we SPECIFICALLY requested spoons.... they brought us 2 silverware napkins with a fork and a knife. No spoon.

Other cons:
Bathroom door barely closed and reopened randomly.
Person next door checked out before us and whoever was cleaning up was vacuuming and kept banging the vacuum against our shared wall. It ruined our sleep.
Thin walls
Older hotel so needs A LOT of maintenance that hasn't been done.

Pros: Location

We typically stay at The Westin, and I'm unsure as to why we went with a Hilton hotel this time. I was very disappointed. We won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for more pillows.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you Pinkpowertools for your review of your recent stay with us.

I am extremely disappointed with the experience you describe in your review and would like the opportunity to speak in person to discuss what can be done to ensure you will consider staying with us again. I can be contacted at your convenience at 3129324505 or alternatively at kathryn.m.day@hilton.com

I look forward to hear from you,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

It was okay. Nothing special about the service, nothing special about the room. It was all just very mediocre. Seemed like there were always a lot of people milling around the lobby. Most of these people seemed very snobby.. I felt like I was being looked up and down when I walked by.

After 3 days, had no idea where their parking garage was so I went with a different parking service in the same buiding (if you use them, only cash or coupons).

My place of employment paid for the room - I would never waste my own money on it. What I would "waste" my money on is the Waldorf. My co-worker was lucky enough to get a room at the Waldorf. My jaw hit the floor after seeing their "cheap" room. Absolutey ELEGANT.

Room Tip: Look around!

Dear Kassie K,

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Drake. I am sorry you did not seem to enjoy your stay or feel comfortable with us. I would like the opportunity to speak in person and i can be contacted at 3129324505 or at kathryn.m.day@hilton.com so i can understand your concerns and hopefully find a way for you to choose to stay with us again.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed mid-week for 2 nights. The location was great, access to the beach trail is around a quarter mile away and Michigan Ave is right there, the room was large and comfortable but, needs to be updated.

Only real complaint was that internet access was not included in the price of the room (~$350 per night)

It was an OK experience but, I doubt I'll stay again

Dear jwp-42,

I appreciate your time reviewing your stay with us at The Drake Chicago. I am glad you enjoyed our location and the service of my team of staff, who I am very proud of. We are an historic hotel, so do have some limitations, but do hope you will consider staying with us when you travel to this area again. Should you do, please contact me directly at 3129324505.

Kind regards

Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Wow, the service at the Drake reminds me of a hotel in Asia. Incredible. I would recommend the Drake. I got a great view, the lounge upstairs was so nice. But it was the service....Mr ##### weve sent your bags up to your room

Kathryn D, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Philflyboy,

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Drake Chicago. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay, esepcially the service of my team of staff. We hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to The Drake Hotel? Share your experiences!