“Decent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Drake Hotel

You added The Drake Hotel to your Saves list
The Drake Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 E. Walton Place, Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
BRAKE FOR SPRING
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
“Decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife and I stayed here because the rate was excellent. Given the notoriety and visibility of the Drake, my expectations are slightly higher. Room: B, in good shape, but due to the age of the property and the layout of the rooms, there is room for improvement. Staff: Doorman and Check-In - A, Bell Man and Breakfast Buffet Staff, D. Non of them cared about service, and there was no sense of urgency or attention to detail. We found a good deal and stayed there as a result. Without the same deal, we wouldn't come back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I truly appreciate your candid review of The Drake on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to read you were able to take advantage of our Chi-beria deals this year. Your expectations were completely valid. The Drake is "The" Drake because of almost a century of unblemished service. Your observations are appreciated and I'd like to speak with you more about your stay. If you could please email me your TripAdvisor name and the best time/way to contact you I will reach out at your earliest convenience.

russell.menkes@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

On Business in Cold Chicago, but felt super warm and welcomed at this charming historic hotel! Loved the very spacious rooms and the warm cozy bath robe waiting for me in the room! Super quiet room in the middle of downtown Chicago!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Warm, Welcomed, Charmed and Cozy... that is exactly how we like our guests! Thank you for staying with us on your January business trip to blisteringly cold Chicago. We hope you will join us again, perhaps in the summer, to truly take advantage of The Drake's location on the Magnificent Mile.

Sacramento, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Though reviews on Trip Advisor are useless since they only allow moderate to good reviews and reject bad ones (done it to me twice), that's TripAdvisor's cheating customers out of all reviews, this hotel is really fantastic so nothing for them to censor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came for our anniversary. It is a beautiful European style old world hotel. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very nice valet--just a note, parking is $65 per night, which is excessive even for Chicago, not the valets fault mind you.
Our check in at the front desk left much to be desired, pretentiousness at its best. We arrived early and were able to check in--for an extra $25. I really wanted to freshen up, so we decided to check in anyway. However, I was perplexed by the charge when the room was available! That just didn't sit well with me.
We shopped and ate our way through Chicago, came back to our room for a bit in the afternoon to rest and then took off again for dinner. If you are interested in a fantastic romantic restaurant, try Le Colonial.
Upon returning to our room after dinner, we were pleasantly surprised by a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, compliments of the hotel. Very nice touch!
The room itself was very large, with a small flat screen TV, a comfy bed and nice traditional classic decor. The bathroom was small but useable. There was also a safe in the room, a robe, coffee maker, iron, but just so-so amenities in the bathroom. I was a little disappointed.
All in all, I liked it here. I felt like I was back in Europe. Would I come back? Probably not, but not because of the property, but because there are so many wonderful hotels in Chicago that aren't so pretentious and that don't charge for every little thing.
I would also like to interject here that we are Hilton Gold members but sure didn't feel like it. The executive lounge was closed for "remodeling" so that was a let down. We did receive free wifi, and also were given breakfast coupons for the cafe. However, that was about the extent of it.
We did have a great anniversary, and for that I am thankful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
First and foremost, I am so pleased to read you had a great anniversary and that the complimentary cake was delivered for you to enjoy after dinner. I am deeply troubled, however, by some of your other observations. Even if you were not a Hilton Gold member it is our policy to treat everyone as such. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you further. If you will be so kind as to email me your TripAdvisor name and the best time/way to contact you I will reach out at your earliest convenience.

Mattawan, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Great location, rooms are clean & quiet, service is very good. Fitness Room has many Treadmills, Breakfast service was good quality. Valet parking takes hassle out of parking. Friendly staff, heating system was a bit noisy (water).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

St. Louis, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The Drake is a Great place to stay when in Chicago and gives access to many great places to visit while in Chicago. The hotel is located is the best spot to gain access to anything and everything you may want to see or visit. Great Hotel with great food nd steps away from everything

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on TripAdvisor! When The Drake family purchased the land from the Palmer family almost 100 years ago I wonder if they had the foresight to imagine how perfect the location would truly be. To that, I'm glad you found it convenient during your stay.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I stay at The Drake Hotel at least once a year when visiting Chicago city and won't stay anywhere else. The location is right next to the shopping district and not a far cab to the beach or stadium. They have a terrific steak restaurant on the first floor that you have to try at least once. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013
We look forward to hosting you again! Let us know on facebook or twitter when you're headed in so we can make sure your next stay is a memorable one!

russell.menkes@hilton.com

Been to The Drake Hotel? Share your experiences!