“Loved the Music” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Drake Hotel

You added The Drake Hotel to your Saves list
The Drake Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 E. Walton Place, Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Sale - Save BIG!
Ranked #49 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Loved the Music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The have live music in the bar and gives a very nice ambient together with the classic decoration of the historic building. The location is perfect, one block away from the Gold Coast beach. Is not massive big, so it is very comfortable unlike the Palmer house where there is so much people because of the size of the hotel and you can't hear anything when the lobby is full.
Rooms have a perfect size.
Things to improve: The wall of my shower had hairs.. for a hotel of this category is totally unacceptable. Aside from that everything was perfect.

Room Tip: If you pick a room with view to the back of the hotel you see the lake, is very nice view. Strongly...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
RussellMenkes, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you had the chance to enjoy our live music in the Palm Court and Coq d'Or during your stay. I agree with you, the size and history of The Drake Hotel are direct contributors to its innate charm. We hope you join us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The family room was huge at around 500 sq ft. It is a great place to stay with comfy beds, old world charm and a great location. It has an excellent fitness center and free live excellent jazz on some Thursday nights in the Palm Court. What a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you got the chance to enjoy some jazz in the Palm Court, next time you should join us for live music in the Coq d'Or! Thanks for staying at The Drake Hotel and we hope to see you again soon!
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Making our reservation a month in advance, we got a very reasonable (for downtown Chicago on the Miracle Mile) rate for a top floor room (9 out of 10), executive level, paying extra for both that and the lakeshore view. Both our room and the executive lounge allowed one to gaze up the Gold Coast with the lake (and sailboats), the beach, the walking/jogging/biking trail, tree-lined Lakeshore Freeway and the condo buildings all in view. The executive lounge (walk-up to a partial 11th floor) offered fine serve-yourself breakfast fare until 10 am and hors d'oeuvres in the late afternoon/early evening. Custom coffee drinks in the morning and alcoholic beverages in the evening were well prepared (with no waiting line) for reasonable charges to the room. Other highlights include beautiful, classic public spaces with enormous, fresh floral arrangments in the lobby and the main lounge. The water-themed restaurant and bar are cozy. (Have the bartender point out Marilyn Monroe's initials!) The lower level's small store arcade with it's interesting window displays is another classic treasure you only find with hotels of this erea. The expertly efficient and friendly concierge was wonderful, helping us get tickets for our pre-selected activities as well as guiding us to some other gems, based upon our tastes and preferences. These folks deserved a nice gratuity and got it! The room was very nice, but had some minor wear on the furniture and moisture spots on the bath walls. There were also a couple of minor HVAC and plumbing maintenance issues that were at least partially addressed upon complaint. (Older hotels sometimes have their limitations as to how finely conditions can be tweaked.) Don't miss a walk across the street to Spiaggia. Get one of the tasting menus with the drink pairings and prepare yourself for a meal without equal! VERY expensive , but worth every dollar! After all, you saved that cab fare dining here! This is still one of the grand hotels of America that everyone should experience at least once.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of The Drake Hotel. When our guests upgrade to the lakeview and executive lounge accomodations they walk away with picturesque memories atop the Magnificent Mile. I see you made it to the Cape Cod restaurant to see Marilyn and Joe DiMaggio's initials-- quite an experience. We pride ourselves on The Drake Standard and I'm very happy you received it.
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

It´s so important that places like this are kept alive. And the personell so friendly, the view and the food at breakfast...
The concierge table gave us good tips.
Our room was executive so it was very confortable and spacious.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us in June at The Drake.

I was happy to read how you appreciate the historic value of The Drake and I compleltely agree that it is important to keep history and places like this alive.

I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly service and accomodations as well as the food and the wonderful view of the lake.

Thank you once again for all of your compliments. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance.

The Drake
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Very nice location near the beach and the city center. Old rooms but nice setup. We had a lot of problems with not very attentive staff. Not a good value for the money we paid. We had to change the room because of insects in the room. Only after insisting we got a new room. Also staff at the bar and at the afternoon tea was not living up to the price tag.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Drake on Tripadvisor.

I would first like to apologize for the lack of service you experienced.

Please rest assured that I will be informing our team members of your recent experience. I am committed to consistently cultivating and working with our staff so that we may provide every guest with the best possible experience and the level and quality of service they deserve.

I am glad that overall you did enjoy The Drake and our location which is so close to the wonderful Oak Stree Beach.

I do sincerely hope you return so that we may provide you with the service and quality The Drake is known for.

Please feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance. Thank you once again.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I booked my 5 night stay at The Drake after spending about 6 weeks jumping from Hilton to Hilton in Chicago for work in the Loop. The hotel is old and that is a part of its charm. I have a stellar view of the lake from my room - which i paid for. The rooms are OK, the bathroom while updated is far from modern, The Palmer House has a better set up but the location isn't as good. The bar is nice as is thee Lobby. The staff for the most part have been lovely, the room service waiter I had my first night has said hello to me every time I've seen him, the front desk up until today were very nice. I say that because when I got back. To my room this evening I looked at my bed and laughed.

While I understand the linens are not changed every day I do expect that my bed look like it is freshly made - not just pull up the covers - actually make the bed. I suppose I could have done it myself but isn't that what I'm paying for?? Had housekeeping not done their minimal job yesterday - make the bed and leave fresh towels (which they must be rationing), nothing was straightened - the hair dryer was still on the sink - again I have been in a Hilton for 6 odd weeks and that has not happened. The curtains remained closed and the lights were still on when I got back. The sheets were changed yesterday so I gave the benefit of the doubt - lots to be done when making a bed. I did not say anything with regard to the servicing however, I did ask someone go up to be sure the windows were closed as there were little gnats (I hope) flying around the curtains when I opened them -I killed about 30. I did ask that their carcasses be cleaned up as well. Needless to say they are still on the window sill. I asked the guy (not the same as last night- who was lovely, I wish I could recall his name) at the desk what their policy was for making the bed etc and he said he wasn't sure. He said he would talk to the head of house keeping and have her take a look. Really!?! How about I will have someone go up to re make the bed AND change the linens as an added bonus for the inconvenience. Or better yet get me a drink at the bar while I wait-which is where I am now, very good Manhattan... I'm back to the Palmer House, Doubletree and Garden Inn for the next few weeks. Maybe I will try back another time...

My rating is ONLY because of Housekeeping and the one jerk at the desk. O other issues. The View is Fab and the hotel is lovely - for an old hotel with a lot of history.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review The Drake on Tripadvisor.

I would first like to apologize for your experience with housekeeping. I completely understand your frustration and disappointment when returning to your room and the bed had not yet been made. I am also sorry that the front desk agent was unable to resolve this issue and make this poor experience right for you.

Please rest assured I will be working directly with our housekeeping department and the Front Office regarding your experience.

I am glad that overall you did enjoy The Drake and our older historic charm. I sincerely hope you return so that we may provide you with the service and quality The Drake is known for.

If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact my office directly at (312) 932-4504 or by email at Stefan.Gruvberger@hilton.com . I would very much like the opportunity to make this right for you and regain your trust in The Drake.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the rooms were clean but really need updating to 2013 standards. Had lunch in the restaurant and thought it was very good (Lobster & Shrimp Pot Pie). I would likely stay there again but only if the rate was a really good deal. There are LOTS of hotels in the Chicago area and while the Drake is historic and relatively nice, it does lack some of the modern conveniences of other newer hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that over all you enjoyed your stay with us at The Drake in May. I am glad you enjoyed the lobster & shrimp pot pie in The Cape Cod. It is definitely a favorite among our frequent guest!

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance. I look forward to the welcoming you back in the future.

The Drake Hotel

Been to The Drake Hotel? Share your experiences!