“A great hotel in a great city!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Drake Hotel

You added The Drake Hotel to your Saves list
The Drake Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 E. Walton Place, Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Drive In Special
Ranked #58 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Tucson, AZ
“A great hotel in a great city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I just had a nice weekend in Chicago to celebrate my birthday. Since it was a big birthday for me, we decided to splurge and get a Jr. Suite. This suite was amazing. Two bathrooms, a huge living room, separate king bedroom with excellent linens, etc. Since I was visiting friends, we enjoyed entertaining in the suite. The service was friendly and excellent from the moment we checked till we checked out this morning. When my husband ordered some wine for room service, he thought they said thirty minutes (not unusual). Instead he said 3 to 5 minutes. And the server was there in less than 5 minutes. We enjoyed the afternoon tea. First rate in every way. My only complaint is that there was no makeup mirror (my eyes aren't what they used to be) and a few pieces of furniture looked a little tired. I think it was a great value, and as a travel consultant, I think it would appeal many of my clients.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Recently my Wife and I spent some time in the beautiful city of Chicago.While there we stayed in the magnificent Drake Hotel.This hotel is a joy to behold with its old world decor beautiful flower arrangements with a harpist playing in the afternoon yet still completely up to date in all amenities.The staff were most helpful ,friendly and informative.The Cape Cod restaurant (which is part of the hotel)is a must for anyone visiting.The food there (mostly fish) is out of this world and be sure to visit Joe Demagio and Marlyn Monroe initials carved into the Bar counter during one of their many visits.Other World Leaders have also stayed but find that out yourself (you will be surprised).The bedroom was large and very comfortable with a view of the lake .I would without doubt stay in this hotel if I decided to visit Chicago.Maybe the best I have stayed in to date.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Check in was fast. Bellman and Valet were very nice and helpful and not pouting for tips all the time. Concierge was great when I needed help organizing some challenging bookings at the last minute.
Room was huge and while the view wasn't fantastic, I always request a low room for other reasons so that's my trade-off. Internet was chargeable (get with the program , Hilton) but at least they allowed multiple devices without multiple charges.

Gym is 24 hour and has all modern Precor cardio equipment and ample quantities of everything. The weights were a bit dated but in good condition.

Breakfast was fantastic, with a great selection of berries and cereals and breads and yogurt for the healthy types as well as hot breakfast options.

Check out was very fast.

I've been staying at the Drake about once every 10 years for the last 40 years and it remains elegant and very special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was there for a business meeting for two days. I thought the rooms were okay. I understand this place is a historic place for many people to go to, but I just wasn't "wow'd" with it. Its clean, its nice and most important its a great location to Michigan Avenue, but there are nicer places I would stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
west marin, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Chicago and the Drake gave us access to the heart of Chicago. We enjoyed breakfast in the Drake Boys, watching the joggers and dog walkers run to the Lake. The concierge, Ken, was very helpful in setting up our city tours. One evening, a jazz festival was held in the lounge, and beautiful people thronged in and jazz swooped out and into the lobby where I was using my Chromebook. Very fine!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This place is top notch. I was able to drop my car off at the valet during afternoon rush hour and I was checked-in and in my room within 5 minutes.
I even left a sport jacket in my car and when I informed the front desk, the valet attendant brought it to my room in less than 15 minutes! My room had a king size bed, large closet and decent size bathroom. Very clean and comfortable. I didn't try any of their restaurants, but I've heard only positive things. The location is perfect.

• Stayed September 2012
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotel was great for our weekend stay in Chicago. The location was walking distance from the water and all of the North end bars and restaurants. It was also steps away from Michigan Ave. shopping. The old glamour of the hotel was great too, as was the fitness center. We got a great rate for Chicago. This was actually one of the more inexpensive hotels!

The one thing was that the toilet was SO close to the tub and SO high off the ground! My feet didn't touch the ground when I sat, and I'm 5'4.There's also no counter space in the bathroom and the toilet blocks half the tub. It's a tiny space. The beds are also queen for a standard room so if you want a king bed you need to upgrade for around $50.

Overall, great for a weekend stay in Chicago if you care about location!

Room Tip: Upgrade if you want a king size bed.