“A real find!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Glen Rock, NJ
“A real find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just spent four nights at The Willows and was extremely pleased with everything the hotel and the neighborhood had to offer. The staff is remarkable, even going so far as to print out my boarding pass and tell me when the next bus or train would be coming. The rooms and lobby are very clean and the furnishings are lovely - bed wonderfully comfortable. The Wi-Fi is free and all worked well in the room. The breakfast was adequate - and coffee, tea and fruit is available all day long. I loved the neighborhood....convenient to everything. Shops, great restaurants and buses, trains and taxis are available just steps away. I would highly recommend this hotel and would have no problem returning the next time I am in the Chicago area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Willows hotel, conveniently liocated at Broadway and Diversey., provides a very good value. The metro and Lincoln Park are within easy walking distance, and getting a cab is quick. The rooms are comfortable and fairly spacious. A continental breakfast is provided, with complimentary newspaper. Our room opened onto an alley that did have some traffic early, although for us not a problem because we are early risers. the heating system is steam radiators, which is archaic. We turned it off and opened the windows. I imagine in the summer they install window AC units.
We will return on our next visit to Chicago.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with the window open, ask to have a room somewhere other than over the alley.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is in a great charming historical neighborhood and just a few steps to the dynamic nightlife. Once I arrived to the hotel the clerk took my credit card and said the computer system was down to do a full check in. Once I arrived to the room I was impressed by the size but the decor was older and could use updating. The room felt more like a small Chicago apartment which was kind of cool. After arriving to the room I decided to shower and nap. While laying in bed with very few clothes on the room door started to open and it was an older couple who explained to me that they had been checked into the same room. I called downstairs and the clerk wasn't very apologetic about the situation, he stated the person working before him made the mistake. The whole situation was very upsetting and embarrassing. The hotel main entrance locks at night after 9 so you have to use your room key to gain entrance. The wifi was free and worked very well in the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
marino44, Regional Manager, Broughton Hotels at The Willows, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'am so sorry for the inexcusable experience of someone being checked into your room and the way it was handled by our staff.

I have taken immediate steps to inform and retrain the staff so this never happens again. We hope that this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Chicago.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Willows Hotel.

Keith Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hotels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We are Chicago residents and had to vacate our rented apartment after rats showed up in the kitchen after moving in. With two children, we needed something that was close by our daycare but weren't sure we could afford something downtown or in our neighborhood. John, the manager, gave us a wonderful rate after hearing about our experience. We stayed for 4 nights and the entire staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful to us. The hotel is charming & quaint with a great location, wonderful bathrooms, nice ambiance and again a FABULOUS staff. Can't recommend it enough! My 3 year old daughter still talks about "Mr. Ricky", the valet, who greeted her every morning with a smile and a hug and gave her extra cookies. Only complaint would be that the A/C unit in the window wasn't pumping out cold air very well...but it was a very hot period and might have needed a break.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Willows Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services, and facilities and I know my team will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Willows Hotel in the near future.

Keith Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hotels
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at The Willows after Thanksgiving with my wife and sister.
The hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of lots of bars and restaurants. (I'd recommend the Friar Tuck on Broadway) It's also handy for bus routes into the downtown area and loop.
The Willows is small and comfortable. It's different from the large dowtown hotels in that is has character and offers a personal service. My room was large and fresh.
Free wi-fi in our room was something that you don't often get with the big chains.
Overall a good experience and I'd stay here again.

Berea, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very nice smaller hotel, clean, comfortable beds. The staff is staff, very accomodating. Good value if you look for other optios than the website. Continental breakfast. Sometimes temperature control in room is an issue. Very welcoming, have returned several times, will again.

Brewster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great Hotel in the center of residential Lincoln Park. Very convenient to many restaurants and activities. A short taxi ride (3-4 miles) to the loop. Management very attentive and helpful. A terrific value, a throw back to earlier times with all you need for comfortable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Willows? Share your experiences!