“marshmallow beds” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers

You added Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers to your Saves list
Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 East North Water Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #52 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
San Francisco, California
“marshmallow beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

On the plus side, it's a great location with great views of the river, and the lake. Steps from Michigan Ave and all the action.
On the down side, I was first put into a wheelchair accessible room, which had a low ceiling and an open bathroom (no tub, just side shower area of floor). While the bed in this room was "normal" (i.e. generally firm), the shower was only really useable as a handheld shower, as the water shot across the shower area horizontally with the head placed in the wall mount. After getting moved to another room (I couldn't deal with that for 3 more nights), I did get a great view of the river and lake and Navy Pier, but now I had what others have described as the bed from hell. So soft it's like sleeping in a marshmallow. Not something I've ever experienced in any other hotel ever. While it might sound appealing, it was so soft it was difficult to change positions and move around, and my companion actually had to sleep on the floor as it was too soft and bad for his back. When I complained about the bed at checkout they did remark that "they are working on that" which may mean they plan on replacing them, as many of my travel companions also complained about these beds. Solely for the horrible beds I would not recommend staying here (unless you want a really soft bed with no back support).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
GEORGIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I just returned from a weekend at the Sheraton and I cannot say how much we enjoyed our stay. The staff was fabulous, location was out of this world, and I could sleep on those beds for the rest of my life! We arrived early Friday morning (way b4 check-in) and they already had a room ready for us. Dinner at Shula's may have been the best steak I've ever eaten, with service to boot!! Thanks, Sheraton, for a wonderful and memorable 40th B-day vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

This hotel served a conventioneer and her husband very nicely for 4 nights, we'd surely consider it again. The location is great, on the river, near Navy Pier, the riverwalk, River North dining, Millennium Park. Reasonably close to mass transit. Hotel was in tip-top condition and we had great service. The main lobby bar was a nice space, though the prices were high. Hey, the loop is pricey. Everything we needed and more, so long as we had the means.

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

In the interest of full disclosure we stayed here on points so i have no idea if this place is worth what the going rate (incidentally we stayed here on points because every hotel in chicago was charging 300+ a night!)
The service was bad but i believe the hotel had just hosted some army convention and was booked solid so every hotel guest was in the process of checking out and none of the rooms were ready - granted we were probably early for our reservation.
I loved the beds! But they were really squishy and apparently they were not the sheraton sweet sleepers that people are used to.
We got a room with a river view, not sure what this would be classified as. I liked it, the hotel was very convenient for walking.
We stayed only one night so we didn't use any of the ammenities.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

After a long day walking up, down and around McCormick Place, my colleague and I looked forward to a luxurious night at a top rated hotel. Instead -

Our room was frigid. It took 2 calls to guest services and over an hour to get someone up to check out the problem, which couldn't be fixed. So, In July in Chicago, she just turned off the AC.

The drain in our bathroom sink was broken and stuck shut. After the experience with the air conditioner repair person, I rigged it open myself.

In the morning I went to the Concierge to see what could be done. He pointed me to the desk clerk. The desk clerk turned out to be about as helpful as the engineer and the Concierge before her.

Customer satisfaction is obviously not a priority at the Sheraton Chicago. Chicago has many fine hotels that value their customers. I'll stay somewhere else next time.

Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I have used this hotel once before for business trips to Chicago and had been very pleased so I gave it another shot. Second time was quite disappointing.

Arrival experience was bad: nobody helping with luggage and reception area crowded with people. There was a long line at the desk, with just a couple of people handling check-in and those in no rush to get more staff or get the customers checked in, it seems. Eventually some more staff came to help but I had to wait over 20mins to check in which is simply unacceptable. Furthermore, when I asked for the comment card so I could complain I was told they had run out - how convenient.

Having checked in, my room was then a major disappointment. It was very small compared with the room I had occupied on my previous visit - probably about half the size, was at the very end of a long corridor and felt rather dated in appearance. I emailed reception to complain and then went out. When I returned, there was a message offering me another room which I accepted without viewing because it couldn't really have been any worse than the room they gave me. Someone came to help me move my clothes because I had partly unpacked; the new room was almost identical to the first although marginally larger, with a new bed and on a Club floor. I guess at least they made an effort to address my complaint.

One of the reasons I chose this hotel was it has a pool. There were virtually no other people in the pool area when I was there, it was really nice. Also, I had one of the best massages I've ever experienced here.

I didn't use any of the restaurants, but the Club breakfast was quite good.

So, mixed feelings, still in search of the perfect Chicago hotel I guess.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Chicago to see the Cubs play. The Pros: The location was excellent and there is a Boston Burgers restaurant in the back with tables on the river bank with really great hamburgers. The Cons: The beds were horrible, the hallways and rooms seemed outdated and a little grungy, and the service was fair at best. Overall, I was disappointed in this hotel. But since we got the room for $80 on Priceline, I guess we can't complain too much. If you want to stay at a Sheraton in Chicago, I would recommend the Four Points Sheraton where we stayed last year. It is a smaller hotel, much cleaner, more ammenities, much better service, and about a block from Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers? Share your experiences!