“Just fine for what it is” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #50 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Portland, Oregon
“Just fine for what it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Was here during chiberia when it was 10 below and our flight was cancelled. The staff was very friendly, the food in the bar was very good and my 22 year old son was very positively surprised by the music they played. The room overlooked the river and the view was quite nice. All in all, the hotel was just what you would expect from a higher end Marriott property, comfortable and clean but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Johnny, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Reviews are so important to our business, and we use them to improve each and every day. You were lucky enough to be snowed in over one of our R Life Live events! We have such amazing talent come to the hotel and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy it while you were here! take care and please come visit us again and we will ensure your next stay in a perfect 10!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I came in during the night of the "polar vortex," and delayed travel meant I arrived at 2:00 AM. The staff was courteous, but the room décor was only average and not new. I was glad I paid the weekend rate. The bath was huge and the shower good. Location is excellent, but I didn't stick around, since it was still -3F degrees outside.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I am delighted to see you enjoyed our staff service, I just wish it was under better circumstances! I am glad you enjoyed the large bathroom and shower in your room. As you know our “Polar Vortex” or “Chiberia” as some called it was the coldest weather we have seen in 30 years! I hope when you return you can take advantage of our top-notch location and explore Chicago!
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our kids are 14 and 11 years of age, girl and boy respectively. Every year we stay at the Renaissance for two or three nights right before Christmas. The kids are done with school on Friday and we head down on Saturday. We are always met by John the doorman....this man is the old fashioned regal type that greets you with a smile in his long wool overcoat. He is your first impression of this hotel and a perfect one if you ask my family! He can answer any question you have and always goes out of his way to help with bags..kids..coats..and all the other minutia that I must bring to pull off a perfect weekend with my family. This trip he greeted us and told us to hurry in(he didn't want us to miss it due to the time) and decorate cookies just off the main lobby. WOW! We all grabbed a cookie and got decorating! We didn't need to sign up and there was no charge for this fun, quick, neat activity. There were also other activities planned for younger kids, mine fall into a difficult age bracket for games and such. Then we were on our way up to our fabulous room, the decor is not dated, nor is it cheap and trendy. The view was spectacular!! We could see the river, State street, and even the lake. The pool is always an attraction for my husband and son, as well as the fitness room. They have completely redone the restaurant (which was very tired and dated) and once again it is a magical room (the view and skylight make it ethereal.) They have also redone the conference rooms and I will get to see those at a meeting in February, but I hear they are awesome. I must also mention the front desk, always cheery and concerned that you have everything that you need. The bellman are awesome John and Louis are the ones we are familiar with. They make sure to always get us fresh ice and ask if we need anything else. They are also very knowledgeable as to what to see and do in the city, like this time, asking if we had been to Mario Batali's Eatery. This is just our normal visit, we are always treated this way. I am always amazed at some of the bad stories that I hear, I think sometimes we need to be reminded to treat others as we would like to be treated and also that, "stuff" happens that is sometimes out of anyone's control. So to finish this off, fantastic location, incredible views, amazing support staff and just a heck of a place to come back to! Keep it up Renaissance, don't try to be trendy and all that, just be the class act that you are!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the corner suites are awesome!! Incredible views, you don't have to be on...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Your stay with us sounds absolutely wonderful! I could not be more proud of my staff and I have shared your comments with everyone during our daily meeting. Reviews like these solidify that we have done our job as hoteliers. You have a lot of choices in downtown Chicago, and I just love to read about our loyal return customers. We can’t wait for you to return in February so you can see a REN meeting in action! I am confident you will be just as impressed with our meeting setup as you were with the hotel room. I would love to get a bit more info on your stay in February, please feel free to contact me directly at 312-372-7200. See you in February, and stay warm!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Came in for the Bears vs Packers game and my birthday with my daughter. The only negative of the entire 4 day stay was the Bears loss. This hotel is located on the river across from Smith & Wollensky. Views of the Tribune building and Trump condos. A nice walk to Michigan Ave shopping and great restaurants, coffee shops & pubs. We walked to DePaul Law as well as The Art Institute and the Chicago bean. The hotel staff was attentive, bed super comfy, linens fresh and clean. We asked for a little fridge and it was delivered to our room, no problem. Breakfast buffet was excellent. After dinner, stop at the hotel bar for a little blarney from the irish bartender. A good hotel for the $$. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I just love reading reviews like this! I will share all of your kind comments during our staff meeting, as these wonderful comments go such a long way. Our location is superb, and I am so glad you had a few days to enjoy Chicago and explore! Go Bears!
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was one of the unfortunate travelers that had to take a "distressed passenger" hotel voucher from my airline @ O'Hare due to a flight cancellation during my layover in Chicago.

I chose the Renaissance from the 2 discounted hotel voucher offers and am really glad I did. I loved the room. Super clean with all the amenities but it was the bed that really impressed me! It was the best feeling bed I have experienced in a while. It was simply a luxurious sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Morris, Thank you for the fabulous review! I am sorry to hear you were stuck in Chicago for the freezing weather, but I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope you can return (by choice!) very soon! We would love to impress you with our city with a bit warmer weather. Just a reminder you can always shop bedding and much more at shoprenaissance.com Enjoy the new Year!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Fantastic location overlooking the river and marina city. Rooms comfortable and good value. Bar and restaurant good value and high quality. Friendly and very competent staff. Will return - thank you for looking after us

Room Tip: Corner river views are stunning
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
mark and drew, thank you for staying with us! It was our pleasure to have you at our hotel. Thank you for all of the kind comments, I will definitely pass them along to my staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Was here in December 2013 for a weekend getaway. Having stayed at several Renaissance properties across the globe, I had high expectations especially in a downtown center hotel. However, the decor was more along the traditional Marriott brand than the Renaissance brand. The rooms were nothing interesting by any means. I was severely disappointment with the hotel bar, which had awful service. Yes, the Bears were playing on Monday night at home; however, you would think hotels such as this would anticipate such crowds (especially by December). We had a great deal on the hotel, which is why we stayed. However, there are certainly more interesting boutique-like hotels in the vacinity.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt, I would like to personally apologize for the sub-standard service you received at Bar Novo. I can assure you this is not typical, as we pride ourselves on staff service throughout our hotel. When you return to Chicago, please feel free to contact me, I would be delighted to ensure your next stay is a perfect 10! We hope to welcome you back to Chicago in the near future.

Been to Renaissance Chicago Hotel? Share your experiences!