“Great Location Spectacular View” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #50 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis
“Great Location Spectacular View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The view (north over the city) we had was really spectacular. The hotel location is is great especially this time of year with the German Christmas Market just a few blocks away. The beds were very comfortable, and the staff was friendly and professional. Executive lounge breakfast is above average and staff were very pleasant. Gym is adequate with about a dozen cardio machines. Overall the hotel is hotel is in a great location and priced well for the area. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Upper floors on the north side of the property have the best views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review, I especially love the part about the staff! I just love reading that staff service was friendly and professional! We are fortunate to have spectacular city views, and as you mentioned we are right around the corner from the Christkindlmarket, the lighting of the tree and fireworks were just spectacular this year! I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I've stayed at numerous properties in Chicago…Hilton, both Embassy's, Marriott Magnificent Mile, both Residence Inn's. This property blew me away during my stay. Megan, one of the event planner's had helped me host a conference several months ago and then I decided to try out their rooms. She and the hotel did not disappoint. From the great concierge lounge, breakfast in the restaurant, drinks in the bar, the list goes on and on as to why I like the hotel. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bob, I am absolutely thrilled you enjoyed your conference at our hotel! I want to personally thank you for the kind comments about Megan, I will pass them along to her and our management team. It is great to see that you enjoyed the lounge, restaurant, and bar as well. We can’t wait for you to return, Happy Holidays!
Decatur, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Chicago while on business and pleasure, from nice to shabby. I won't pick the Renaissance again for two reasons. First $65 bucks to park overnight, when everywhere else is $40ish, and you can only valet, so add a tip to that price, outrageous. Next the rooms are not all that. Talk about small, cramped hallways, needs some decorating upgrades too. The beds were very comfortable, and the staff was very friendly. With tax I paid $144.00 (priceline) and $70 for parking. It was not a deal.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lucy, I appreciate the review and thank you for the great comments about the staff and comfortable beds. Parking rates in Chicago are a bit more than other primary cities, other than maybe New York, San Francisco and Boston to name a few. As a result to resent tax increases in parking rates, we completed a pricing survey of all the major hotels in Chicago and found that all charge basically the same rates. There are nearby self-parking lots with slightly lower prices we may suggest on your next trip. Again, thank you for the warm comments about the staff, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
moonhope
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great location. Expensive. Super work out room with lots of options. Excellent concierge service for reward members-free internet. Rooms are upscale (nice touch with free toothpaste :-), marble finish. Quiet restful sleep considering you are in downtown Chicago.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I normally stay at Hilton properties in Chicago, but the city didn't have much availability the night I stayed. I'm guessing that's why the room was a bit pricey. I did ask for a high floor, quiet room and got neither. But as those requests go it's really luck of the draw. However, the river view room did have spectacular sights to see out the window. The beds were comfy and the room clean. I'd definitely say their staff is well trained in being hospitable, helpful, and friendly. As a former Chicago resident you really can't beat the location. It's really at a "crossroads" making it easy to get just about anywhere. I did forget my coat and they're shipping it to me for....FREE! Now that's awesome. :-) The one con for this hotel is there is NO coffee maker in the room. Yes they have a coffee spot in the lobby, but a mini Kuerig machine would do wonders for those of us who need a little joe to get going! All in all the location alone may have made me a Marriott hotels convert! :-)

• Stayed November 2013
We are lucky to have a premium location in the heart of downtown Chicago, and we love the inspiring comments about the ease of accessing this great city. Our river views are definitely picturesque, and I am glad to see you were able to enjoy the city views. I just absolutely love your comments regarding staff service, after all what is a beautiful hotel without an amazing staff. I will definitely look into the coffee maker issue, that is a standard in every guest room, and I am very sorry yours was missing! We can’t wait to welcome you back to our hotel, make sure to bring your coat! 
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Worst hotel experience in a long time. Checked in to the hotel and was given a room where the floor was wet and smelled like vomit. I was surprised they didn't have the carpet professionally cleaned or at least got the smell out of the room before filling it with another guest. Asked to switch rooms and was given another room, but no help to move all my belongings between one room and the other. Rooms were beat up - my room had the door sweep half ripped off and the cleaning folks left their cleaning materials in my room including their rags. The house cleaner ended up stealing my bluetooth headset at this hotel and Marriott refused to reimburse me for it. Additionally, tried using the free shoe shine service and had to call down twice since they didn't come within the first hour. Tried using the gym and the dumbbells didn't even fit in the rack since they were the same width as the rack itself so they were falling apart as well. Not really anything too redeeming about this hotel in general.

Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I frequent Chicago at least twice a year. Stayed at the JW Marriott on Adams and Marriott Magnificent on Michigan Ave quite a few times. I chose this hotel for a change and what a wise decision it turned out to be.

The location is convenient and perfect for all walks of life. You step outside and whichever direction you decide to take will lead you to an interesting corner.

The hotel itself is elegant, the staff friendly and the rooms spacious. I asked reception to give me a river view and I had a view to kill, Trump tower and Marina towers. You just sit there and admire what your eyes can catch.

Peaceful, yet alive. Highly recommended.

Loved it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Mazhar, thank you for the 5 star review! We are honored to have such a divine location located in the heart of Chicago, and I love reading comments such as this, from discoverers that are able to admire appreciate the breathtaking views from our guest rooms. We are lucky to have large guest rooms and an amazing staff to make your stay truly be a memorable one. See you again soon, and Happy Holidays!

Been to Renaissance Chicago Hotel? Share your experiences!