“Great stay at the Renaissance” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast is on Us!
Ranked #52 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
beloeil
“Great stay at the Renaissance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was in Chicago for 5 days for the marathon. I had booked my room through a travel operator who provided me with the race registration and I had no idea what to expect from the hotel. From what I understood, I was getting a special price and so I was not to expect a great room, but rather, the simplest room at the hotel. I was ok with that.

Upon my arrival, after a quick and welcoming check-in, I was shocked to find that I had been assigned this beautiful and extra large room on the 26th floor, with a gorgeous view of the city. My sister-in-law was thrilled that we didn't have to share the king bed, as I had my own very comfortable sofa-bed! The bathroom was beautiful, with a separate shower and bath and everything you need in a hotel bathroom. There was also a mini-fridge and a bathrobe provided. Coffee and a great breakfast were provided for free in the lounge room (which I believe is available if you opt for the concierge service?). I really was not expecting so much from this hotel.

The decor in the room, and in the whole hotel in general, was beautiful and fresh. Doormen always pleasant and Suzie, the navigator, gave us great advice on what to see and do in Chicago. The turn down every night made us feel like royalty.

The location couldn't have been better. Very central to everything you'll want to see. We never had to take a taxi, just walked or got on the train. So easy!

I did not use the gym (didn't really feel like it after running 26.2 miles through the city, haha), but next time, I plan on using the pool and also the spa services.

I hope to be back for the Chicago marathon in 2014 and I will certainly book the Renaissance Hotel again. Thank you to all the staff who helped make our stay in Chicago so wonderful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review of our hotel! I was delighted to read that you were able to enjoy your spacious room with great city views and various in-room amenities. With Marriott’s “Best Price Guarantee” you will always receive the best rate at www.marriott.com! My favorite part about your review were the comments about staff service, we have done our job, if we made you feel like royalty! We would be honored to welcome you back next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Moorestown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel with lovely rooms. The bar is very nice with good food. Would have given 5 stars if it had free wifi in the room and business meeting rooms not just in the lobby. Having a business meeting in the meeting rooms without free wifi is extremely frustrating. Price is high for wifi.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Shari- I am so glad you enjoyed Bar Novo, I will pass on your kind comments to Chef James Samson and let him know you enjoyed the food. Regarding the WiFi, I wanted to note that we recently updated our WiFi system throughout the hotel to a more sophisticated system with increased speeds and security that is often unmatched. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Chicago.
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

You will love this hotel. From the minute you enter its gorgeous lobby which endlessly smells of frangapani (or something floral) to the HUGE rooms, nice bar and great pool/spa. Front Office staff were wonderful, and the location is perfect. Shopping, theatres and bars are right out front your door and Michigan Avenue is about a 5 minute walk. Not to mention you can jump on the river cruises too. Another plus is the on-site Starbucks - fab start to the day. Chicago is a fantastic city so get visting and book this hotel. Don't forget to check out Chicago Premium Outlets in Aurora - you'll do serious damage to your wallet! Happy travels (and shopping).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate the top notch review and thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments! The amazing fragrance in the lobby is a blend of shiso tea leaf and citrus with notes of white mint, tuberose, gardenia, and lily, it is available from collectrenissance.com if you would like to purchase it for your home! We are lucky to have very spacious guest rooms and an amazing staff. I was so please to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay! We can’t wait to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!
Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I just came back from a 5-day stay at Renaissance Chicago for marathon weekend from October 10 - 15. The checkin was very efficient. Got a room close to the elevator (1114), but noise level was minimal, then again I wasn't there very much and maybe all the runners are not night owls anyway. Expect to pay 14.95/day and up for in-room wi-fi service. That, in my opinion, was a bit much, since most hotels these days, even in NYC, have free wifi. It was pretty decent wifi nonetheless.
First day, I tried the breakfast at the cafe. It was ok, a bit overpriced and only clientele seemed to be the business type. From the second day onwards, I went to the diner across the street and it was excellent. There was also a Starbucks and 7/11 across the street. The metra train lines were also right across the street. Walk to the Magnificent Mile was about 10 minutes. Walk to the Art Institute was also about 10 minutes. My room had a partial view of the Chicago river. It was supposed to be a city view room. It was very spacious and bed was very comfortable. Bathroom, in my opinion, was bigger than usual which was great.
I found the staff to be slightly on the aloof side. No big deal, I wasn't in Disney, but don't expect them to smile at you very much. Overall, happy with the hotel, can't beat the location, will stay there again if I am running the marathon again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Good Morning! Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of our hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and overall had a great experience. The Renaissance Downtown does enjoy the best central location in Chicago convenient to so many attractions and unique experiences and we are excited that you had the opportunity to enjoy our city.

Fully understand your comments with regards to the WiFi provided in the hotel and are pleased to hear the system worked well for you. We recently updated our WiFi system throughout the hotel to a sophisticated system, with increased speeds, performance and the highest level of security that can be provided.

We look forward to seeing you again next year for the Chicago Marathon!
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Renaissance Chicago Hotel is a wonderful hotel. The beautiful lobby is only the start. The bar is vibrant and inviting. The rooms are immaculate and very comfortable. The views of the river add a great touch to your stay. The staff was always very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the décor, accommodations and the services provided by our wonderful staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and trust that I will be sure to share your review with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Chicago on your next visit.
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Was there for a large, 3-day business event. Rooms were large and very comfortable, what I've learned to appreciate with Renaissance properties. Excellent location on East Wacker Drive near State Street. Service was excellent, including at the numerous catered meals. Overall, the catering was excellent, some of the best that I've experienced. Very nice concierge suite.
Only glitch was a loss of TV and Internet service during a heavy rain storm. I could do without the TV service but a loss of internet was very inconvenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! It is great to see that you had the time to enjoy our fabulous location and large guest rooms. Our Food & Beverage is top notch as our Chef, James Samson is always looking for new intriguing menu items. I hope you had time to visit Great Street, our restaurant as it was recently renovated! We hope you will be back to visit us again soon, and please bring warm weather with you!
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We went to Chicago back in April for a business trip. The front desk had our room ready early when we tried to check in around noon which was great so we didn't have to wait around. Also, we got upgraded as Elite members to a concierge level floor which had an amazing view of the city. Too bad that this was before Marriott changed their policy regarding breakfast to allow their Elite members to receive breakfast on weekends.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing such lovely comments about our property. Here at the Renaissance Chicago, we do have fabulous city views and we are glad you were able to enjoy them. We hope to see you again soon, and thanks again for sharing your experience!

Been to Renaissance Chicago Hotel? Share your experiences!