“Good Almost Great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Chicago to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 N Michigan Ave, on Water Tower Square, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast at the Park
Ranked #7 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
houston, tx
“Good Almost Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Chicago is a world-class city full of wonderful top-tier hotels. That being said, the Park Hyatt is a very solid choice and although there wasn't anything wrong per se with the property, service, or amenities, I just wasn't floored. (Disclaimer: I am a self-professed hotel snob...)

I spend a GREAT deal of time, my boss and boyfriend would argue too much time obsessing over where to stay. In Chicago, within this price category, the choice came down to the Waldorf Astoria and the Park Hyatt. I chose the Park Hyatt because of a special "Third Night Complimentary" offer through my Amex Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts: a Park King Deluxe with an outdoor terrace.

I had a terribly late flight arriving into Chicago Midway Airport at 11:30pm. No luggage or traffic meant a speedy arrival at the hotel. Yes it was 12:15 am on a Tuesday morning but there was no valet or bell man. Yes I had noted my late arrival in the reservations and also called that afternoon alerting the front desk of my late check-in time. It wasn't a huge deal but... small details that make a hotel truly stand out. Check-in was very quick and I allegedly received an upgrade to a terrace room (note: an end room not a corner room), although I'm almost certain I just merely received the room I booked. Again, I'm not expecting freebies and FHR doesn't guarantee the upgrade but please don't patronize me. I know what room I booked. I would have appreciated an honest "We didn't have an upgrade available because we are at full capacity."

Anyways, the hotel tower has a very small skinny footprint so only a handful of rooms on each floor. My room (308) was very clean and modern but has a quasi-remodeled look. The tufted scallop-shaped headboard, black granite, and cherry wood furniture looks like from the 1990s but some key pieces like the Geneva Sound dock, glass and steel table, and Eames chair has the quintessential modern look. It has great bones for a hotel of its age, large closets, 5 piece fixture bathroom (double sinks, enormous tub [fits two], stand-alone shower stall with dual heads, and separate water closet) and large closet. The closet had a fantastic lint brush, laptop safe, hairdryer, toothbrush/toothpaste and a shoe buffer. There's a long upholstered built-in bench at the entrance and the bed was very comfortable. The terrace was a decent size but unfurnished but was much too cold those days. There was a nice view of the historic Water Tower.

I had my first breakfast at Nomi on the seventh floor. Lots of business types and a beautiful view of the Water Tower again. Their version of Eggs Benedict and fruit plate was very decent. Service was very accommodating. After breakfast I had a massage at the Nomi spa. Great service, and nice massage but very small facilities. There's only two treatment rooms: a single and a couples room. It was again nice just don't expect a sprawling Spa at Encore Las Vegas. The pool looked beautiful and there was a steam room, lockers, and showers as well open to hotel guests without a spa appointment.

Daily housekeeping kept the room very neat and clean. Turndown was always performed nightly on time. Toiletries were always well stocked and replenished including the bath salts next to the tub. Breakfast the second morning was served through room service and was very good. Simply presented on a tray and very fresh fruit and pastries.

I checked out the last morning at 4:00 am and met the most pleasant Front Desk agent. She handled everything extremely well. Kudos to her but I don't remember her name....

Overall, I know there weren't any negative issues to fault but at the same time, there wasn't anything that stood out or really made my stay memorable enough to try again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel two times for work and love it. It is a top notch property - excellent rooms (from the furnishings to the large sq. footage for downtown Chi), relaxing but trendy bar and restaurant, great gym, and superior service. I really cannot say enough about this place.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Clinton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

You are right in the middle of the magnificent mile! Ralph Lauren's restaurant is just across the street and it has such delicious food. The staff is so nice and helpful. I have only eaten breakfast there and it is good food with a view of the old Chicago water tower. Love the big tubs where you can TV. The only downside is the price. That is the only reason I did not give the hotel a 5 star. Hubby and I head to Chicago every four months. He heads to meetings and I hit the shops! Going this weekend!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Water Tower.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

As one might expect from a Park Hyatt, this hotel is beautifully maintained and the service was impeccable. We had a corner room on the 18th (top) floor that was spectacular, with an incredible view down Michigan Avenue. The room was quite large and also had the latest technology with electronic controls for everything, including the sheer curtains and the blackout curtains! The bathroom had both a great shower and a large tub (and a separate room for the toilet). The bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom! Terrific stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Walter B, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Park Hyatt Chicago. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service, room and comfort as well as the incredible view. We love hearing that our guests take advantage of the amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Warm Regards,
Walter Brindell
Indiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

In town meeting up with friends for a show when I decided to splurge and stay at the Hyatt Park Chicago for a long weekend in early April 2013. "Luxury" is the best word to sum up this hotel. I've stayed at hotels in Chicago many times and this hotel is probably the best so far. I recommend the rooms facing the Water Tower/Michigan Avenue/Lake Michigan. Great view for Chicago where in the past I have been in hotel rooms facing a brick wall. The room was large, with very comfortable beds, a large bathroom made of granite and marble, and a seating area right by the large window looking out toward Lake Michigan. The rooms were spotless and the turndown service made sure that we never lacked for anything. Although my friends and I mainly checked out other restaurants off property, we did enjoy the atmosphere of the lounge/bar at NoMI where we also ordered food, which was excellent. Coming in late one night after a show, I ordered room service which was excellent and prepared exactly as I requested. The next morning I discovered the shades covering the large window were easily raised and lowered by a switch by the bed, which was convenient after being out late. The additional "blackout" shade was extremely helpful the next morning. Nice touch.

This is a luxury hotel. If you're looking for cheap accommodations for family/children, this may not be the place for you. Everything is expensive. I arrived from the airport by taxi, so I did not deal with parking, which in Chicago is notoriously expensive. Food and drink was excellent but very expensive. However, I went into this stay knowing that the hotel was expensive so I was prepared, and again, looking for a really nice long weekend at a high-quality hotel, which is exactly what I received. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Park Hyatt Chicago.

I would recommend the hotel add additional selections to the minibar or area near the minibar and it would be nice if they could arrange for check out without having to go to the front desk, as I am accustomed to at other hotels. However, both check in and check out at the front desk was handled very efficiently and quickly.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms on higher floors facing the Water Tower and Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I’ve stayed here for both business and pleasure and by far the Park Hyatt is my favorite hotel in Chicago. The location is perfect, close to great restaurants and shopping. The view from the rooms is serene, try to ask for a room higher up so you can fully enjoy looking out over the Water Tower and Lake Michigan. The spa area is great for a day of relaxing by the pool or taking advantage of the loungers on the deck. If you have time, definitely try out the NoMI spa for a facial. And don’t miss breakfast at NoMI Kitchen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed at a neighboring 5-star hotel for several years, but the Park Hyatt Hotels have formed a relationship with our credit card company, so we thought we would try them. We booked a "Terrace Suite" on the 3rd floor with a very large outdoor terrace that overlooks Michigan Avenue and Water Tower Park. It was the warmest weekend of spring thus far and we kept the doors open to the terrace most of the time when we were in the room. The street noise can be loud at night, but the mornings and daytimes were quite pleasant.

Things we really liked (that aren't available at our former favorite):
1. Large open shower and jacuzzi tub in our suite with a large window.
2. Free coffee and espresso in the lobby.
3. Free NY Times and Wall Street Journal in the lobby and at NoMi restaurant each morning.
4. NoMi Restaurant is great! We got a breakfast package and really enjoyed the calm atmosphere.
5. No attitude from the Doorman, Front Desk, Bellman, and Room Service.
6. Since the tip is included in the Room Service bill, there is no "uncomfortable" signing of the check or sense that you should be tipping (again). You don't sign anything. The pleasant young man simply delivered the food, set up the table, and thanked us for staying at the Park Hyatt.
7. I had flowers sent to the hotel for our room. They were delivered while we were out shopping rather than waiting for us to return. It was a pleasant surprise.
8. We were celebrating a birthday, so I mentioned it in the "comment section" of the onine reservation. When we returned from shopping, a plate of cheese, dried fruit, nuts, and crackers had been delivered---along with a bottle of champagne.
9. The hotel is located directly across the street from RL Restaurant, our favorite restaurant in Chicago.
10. The wifi internet service is FREE. No password required. Just log on.

Room Tip: We love the terrace suite, but I think it is only available on the third floor. A lake view room (o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Hyatt Chicago? Share your experiences!