“Very nice, but a bit dated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Chicago to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 N Michigan Ave, on Water Tower Square, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast at the Park
Ranked #9 of 169 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Very nice, but a bit dated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed at this Park Hyatt twice in the last year. Both stays were extremely pleasant and as a diamond member, I was upgraded to the corner respire room, which is much larger than the standard room. It appears that they haven't updated the furniture in this hotel since the mid-90s and is soon due for a refurbishment given the price point though I do believe that they have replaced the furniture in the suites.

Service is good but not as good as competitors such as the St. Regis where you are welcomed with champagne, led to the elevators by a receptionist, and shown around your room. In addition to this, I found that turn down service at the Park Hyatt to be subpar. It's nice that they leave the water bottle and glass by your bedside, but what happened to placing a small something such as a piece of chocolate?

Breakfast was included as a diamond member and I highly recommend the restaurant, NoMI. Breakfast was delicious, my favorite being the health shakes in the morning -- the 'greens' shake was my favorite.

Overall, nice hotel and would definitely return if the price is right.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner respire room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Love this hotel! The location is great and the view is amazing. Service was top notch, every employee was happy to help and bent over backwards to be accommodating. Any request was met with a warm and sincere “I would be happy to take care of that” attitude. Room Service was amazing. We wanted to watch Football game in our room and order some snack food but, other than the kids menu it was kind of fancy for just a casual night in. When I asked if they had any Nachos they volunteered to make them special for us. The chef had to make homemade salsa to accommodate our request! (Thank you Chef Michael) There are many beautiful hotels with great locations in Chicago but people at the Park Hyatt Chicago are truly exceptional make all the difference in the world.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I loved this hotel! The staff is incredible, anticipating every wish/need. We felt so pampered. Location is perfect and the rooms are beautiful! The breakfast and room service is top notch. Loved the small touches, like the candles and bath salts, the TV above the bathtub, the wonderful wines in the room. The view is amazing - an upgrade to a lake view is recommended and well worth it.

Room Tip: An upgrade to the lake view is worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

All I can say is First Class all the way! From the check-in, to the remote curtains, this is truly first class service. I was really impressed with the BMW shuttle service. Or should I say, they drive you around in a new 7 series BMW! The doorman knew our names and addressed us each and every time we entered. I will be honest, I fly first class from time to time, I've even flown BusinessFirst to Europe, Asia, Hawaii and Mexico. I've stayed at the Intercontinental and the Four Seasons. This was the best experience I've ever had at a hotel. THE BEST EVER!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Overall we had a pleasant stay at Park Hyatt. However, I had been looking forward to an incredible stay and felt slightly let down. The service at the door and front desk wasn't overly refined which one would expect at a Park Hyatt. It felt routine and standard not really personalized. The room now looks somewhat dated though we loved the bathroom. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable for a good nights sleep. The lighting is very nice as well. Bathroom is amazing, amazing, amazing and we really liked the bath products. The corridors are showing signs of wear and tear and the casings had some dents in them. I think a good PM program could help with that. I'm not sure what happened but in the early evening of our stay both keys stopped working. The desk replaced them without any comments which seemed odd.

I had tea in the packed bar (bad weather) and the service was good. We also had breakfast - which was part of our package - but the desk didn't mention that service in the restaurant ended at 10:00am which seemed early on a Sunday. So we ate in the bar but it wasn't the same experience. The hostess mentioned the desk forgets to tell people that so it seems an issue.

I expect Park Hyatt to be a gracious, refined experience. For $400 a night I think that they could take a few steps to make it really exceptional so that it is on par with a Four Seasons, Peninsula or Ritz. I would stay again but not for that price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Park Hyatt by far is one of my favorite hotels to stay at. The clean and comfy rooms are wonderful. The views of the city, and proximity to plenty of things to do is incredible. I love the pantry - where you can grab a cup of coffee on the way out to shopping. Service is impeccable.

The only downside is the spa - I would recommend walking a block to the Peninsula for the spa.

I cannot wait to go back!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband had taken me to The Park Hyatt since it was built about 14 years ago (and to The Watertower Hyatt before that) for my birthday. A few years ago, we switched out and tried some other high end hotels. This year, we returned and had a fantastic time. The view of the lake and watertower, the window seat, the fantastic bed and pillows ...but it's the huge tub with the with the wall that opens to the main room so you can be taking a "tub" and look out at that gorgeous view. there is a tv in the bath and a terrific separate shower. There is no hotel room in the city, that can compare. They also include bath salts and candles, lovely touch. The service is excellent, quietly elegant. The only negative is Nomi restaurant only serves breakfast until 1030am in the main room and we could NOT make it down that early :) No worries..we will be back, again and again. Make sure you book a high floor with a lake view. See you there.

Room Tip: High floor (michigan ave can be noisy) and lake view. Tho when we closed the windows, it was quite...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Hyatt Chicago? Share your experiences!