“A business hotel, but not for kids or family vacation.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Chicago to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 N Michigan Ave, on Water Tower Square, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast at the Park
Ranked #7 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami
“A business hotel, but not for kids or family vacation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

The hotel is exceptionally clean in all areas, and i compliment it on that. After wanting to try this property for a long while, i took my family over new years. It advertises as a 5 star property, but it is not up to the level of the Four Seasons, Ritz or Peninsula Chicago. It is essentially a 4 star Hyatt with a very nice location at the Chicago Water Tower and Michigan Ave, and an art-museum, fancy lobby. The pool area is probably one of the best in the Chicago loop area, and the food is very food in both the restaurant and room service. Outside of the these two, very expensive options for eating, you need to leave the property for family style dining. The reason i cant give this property 5 stars is because of staff service. Outside of the bellhops and valet, who were excellent, this is essentially the hotel of "no". I found that most times i asked a question or made a reasonable, simple request, the staff responded "no.". Or "no, the hotel doesn't allow that.". My wife and I sadly coined this property the "hotel of no" during our stay. For example, the hotel brags about its Butler service for every room. Well, when you ask the butler for a toothbrush or extra soap or towels, the butler says "no sir, you must call housekeeping for that.". The hotel brags about it's available car service. But when you ask to use it, the driver works less hours than an out of work school teacher. It was really quite absurd. Even try asking for a second wake up call or, better, for room service to deliver food to the pool area. Every time, consistently, we were met with "no" and then an explanation why they couldn't do it. Try bringing a glass of wine from the bar to the pool.... When my wife did, a very stern manager promptly entered the pool area and, basically, said, "no.". The rooms, while modern at some point in time, need a major rehab. We had a large suite, and the L shaped couch was torn and worn. The hyatt bed needed replacement as it was almost worn out. The bathroom and the locker rooms for the spa and pool were very nice and well stocked. Towel quality was reasonably good and soft. Overall, this is a solid 4 star business traveler hotel, less the staffing issues who probably could use some retraining. But not for a family vacation. Too bad because the pool and exercise room os very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
CWenks, Park Hyatt Chicago at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear KollegeKlubMadison,
Thank you for your review and the kind words about our property and the provided amenities.
I am excited to inform you that we are reopening our new renovated 7th floor this June with a refreshed NoMI and a new Spa concept. We enhanced the services and offerings provided to our guest enjoying our pool facility and I would be delighted to welcome you and your family back so you may experience everything first hand.
I would also like to deeply apologize for the level of service you received from our staff during your stay. I assure you that the actions of the individuals you encountered are not reflective of the type of service that we aim to provide for our guests. I have shared your comments with our management team to take appropriate actions.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

First of all, I am a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member and PHC offered no recognition or amenities or breakfast and certainly no upgrades. That surprised me when I first checked in the hotel. Later I asked about it and found out that somehow the system messed up and showed me as a Gold member. I know it happened sometimes but it's still unacceptable. No apologies for the mistreatment either. At night when we got back to the hotel after a late dinner, hotel security asked if we were hotel guests and asked for our room key card. I think that's rude but hotel said that was normal. I have never seen that before really. Also there is a renovation going on so service is very limited.

Room is nice and location is perfect but service is under par. I would rather stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago and get a better treatment.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ParkHyattChicago, Park Hyatt Chicago at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Dear Minhtrung:

We apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We value your comments and loyalty to Hyatt as a Diamond Gold Passport Member. Be rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the appropriate managers to avoid a reoccurrence. I hope that we have the chance to regain your confidence in the service levels that we pride ourselves in.

San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011 via mobile

I was awaken by hammering and sawing at 6:23 AM. They apologized profusely and sent up a fruit & cheese tray. They said the contractors were not supposed to start until 9AM and promised it would not happen again. The next morning at 6:20AM... again with the hammering. Don't stay here until the construction is over. BTW... my duvet smelled like smoke on Day 1 and the shower head was off and blasting water in not a good way. I must have the lemon room, #905.p

• Stayed April 2011
Orange Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Great location....very nice hotel...very nice rooms! Probably my favorite basic hotel room. The one thing that really bothered me about his hotel was it did not have a club level with amenity? Really poor for the hotel. Only have 1 rest. and it's really not that good. But I am going back in September and December again...and apparently they have made some changes.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear jasonc001,

Thank you for your feedback. We value your business.

To address your comment regarding our club level, Park Hyatt does not provide an exclusive club level, but we do offer a variety of complimentary amenities such as 24-hour beverage service in our Lobby, fresh fruit and select business services for all guestrooms.

We are excited to welcome you back later this year when we unveil our entire seventh floor including our award-winning restaurant NoMI Kitchen, NoMI Lounge, NoMI Garden and NoMI Spa.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I had heard nothing but great things about the hotel prior to our one night stay. In fact, upon checking in, the very nice female checking us in informed us that the CPH is their Flagship property.
I had requested a suite prior to check-in, but was told there was none available ? This despite the fact that the hotel seemed virtually empty while there, 03/26-03/27.
Room was nice, great view. Bathroom amenities were average.
You could hear voices from the adjoining room very clearly, # 1517
Bathroom towels were not what you would expect for a 5 star, looked and felt cheap, thin.
As a Diamond member I have stayed at much nicer Hyatt properties, Grand Hyatt Berlin and Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo to name a few.
Also, they misspelled my name twice, on the welcoming envelope, and in the welcoming letter.
Would stay there again probably, but they need to take some lessons from some of their International properties. Not worth $400--$500/night...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear DAWINTX:

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your time to share your feedback. I apologize that we did not exceed your expecations during your stay. We pride ourselves in our high quality service and hope that we will have the change to regain your confidence at another visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Everything about this property is amazing. The staff is always more than attentive and the rooms are very nice. The staff always goes above and beyond, some examples of this are: the doormen greet you by name, front desk gets the elevator for you ahead of time so you don't have to wait, house car is always available no matter where you are going. I stay on business and it is great but it would also be a great place to bring the wife for a romantic weekend. The huge bathtubs and mood lighting would make for a great night. Overall this place is great and I would come back again, which I have.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sneeker635:

Thank you for taking the time to share your gracious comments about our hotel and your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on a leisure visit in the near future!

Best regards,

Lynne Bredfeldt
Director or Public Relations
Hinsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We had a couple of great romantic weekends there, and really enjoyed the hotel! There is nothing you will not like: the rooms are fantatic and very large, it is close to everything with a fantastic restaurant with killer views. We are coming back for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
parkchicago, Executive Assistant Manager - Operations at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Dear Hinsdalemama:

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind words about Park Hyatt Chicago. We, too, look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

My very best,

Paul E. Cardona
Executive Assistant Manager - Operations

Been to Park Hyatt Chicago? Share your experiences!