“Lovely hotel in Chicago's Gold Coast Neighbourhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

You added PUBLIC Chicago to your Saves list
PUBLIC Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 North State Parkway, Chicago, IL 60610 (Formerly Ambassador East Hotel) (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #86 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Kitchener, Ontario
“Lovely hotel in Chicago's Gold Coast Neighbourhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Public Chicago is a lovely looking hotel with a beautiful entrance way, lobby, restaurant and bar area. Our room was clean and spacious, with a very comfortable bed and good lighting.
I booked the hotel on Hotwire and was initially concerned when I saw the location, however upon our arrival, I was pleasantly surprised. Public is located in a beautiful residential area of Chicago that is an easy walk to many restaurants and cafes on Rush Street and we found it to be very accessible to the downtown area as well.
Unfortunately while we were staying at Public, they were having issues with the elevators and throughout the entire 4 night stay, only one elevator was working. As we were situated on the 14th floor, this was quite inconvenient. We resorted to using the service elevator after watching several full elevators pass us by many times. One elevator for a hotel of this size is definitely not adequate!
If you are looking for a hotel that is slightly removed from some of Chicago's hustle and bustle, but close enough to lots which will make your stay enjoyable, I would recommend that you check out Public Chicago.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Pat k,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, I too enjoy the neighborhood and location of PUBLIC. I am sorry though, for one of our elevators being out of service during your stay. I know how much of an inconvenience this can be. I hope that you can return soon and utilize both of our elevators!

Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel tries to be posh, and fails miserably....there is no character.
Rooms are so bland! Bath is tiny.

Staff is less the welcoming, and know nothing about Chicago! Maybe have your employees walk around the block??!!! Valet guys and bar staff pretty much blow you off if you ask a question!
Cleaning lady showed up after 5 pm....

We were on our honeymoon, and very disappointed with our stay! Love Chicago though!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
julianacaporali,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked you to. I know being on your honeymoon is a very special time and we wanted you to enjoy yourselves, that is why we upgraded your room from a standard queen bed to a superior king at no extra cost.

I would like to address your perception of our hotel rooms, I apologize that you found them bland. We did simplify the rooms as part of the design, we decided to keep them light and airy so our guest's have as much space as possible. Our building was built in 1926 so needless to say the bathrooms were a lot smaller then and we know this, you will never see us advertising that our bathrooms are enormous, because they are not. They are however very nicely appointed and not overstuffed with items that are not needed. We do not want to take up any more room than we need to.

We are proud of the city here at PUBLIC and our concierges have an abundance of information about the city. I would highly recommend utilizing their services, they know all of the great places to go!

If you ever do find yourself back in Chicago we would love to host you again and turn all of your concerns around.

On behalf of PUBLIC we wish you a long and happy marriage,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

The PUBLIC is a very stylish hotel and I'd highly recommend it on a stay in Chicago. A big hotel, it does not feel like it, more intimate than its scale would suggest.

Situated in a great part of town, the Gold Coast, it is pretty handy to anything you might want to do in CHI. Easily reached by the Red Line, it's a short walk to heaps of good restaurants and a bit further on to the 'Magnificent Mile'. In fact, to walk downtown it only takes about half an hour or so. But if walking doesn't catch your fancy, the hotel has a handful of old jalopy bikes you can borrow to get you around faster.

The service is excellent. The help given by the concierge was amazing, knowledgable and friendly, and always ready with a hotel voucher to get you a discount on a local meal or even the Chicago Divvy bikes, if the hotel ones are all out. Being an Australian, I was delighted not to be accosted by the door staff on arrival, but the service is there should you need it.

The hotel itself is great. The room I had was small with a rear view, but the minimal decor made it feel bigger, and the bathroom and its amenities were spot on. The bars are appealing, well staffed, and not so expensive as hotel bars can be. But beware, of an evening, it's a very popular place and it seems like half of Chicago is perched at the bar. Great for the atmosphere, less handy for a quick drink.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
sk4nder,

Thank you for the generous review, we are always happy to assist! We look forward to hosting you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

For starters PUBLIC Chicago is a gorgeous hotel; the lobby, bar, lounge and restaurant are beautifully designed, elegantly stylish and just ooze taste and sophistication.

The rooms and bathrooms are well-sized, comfortable, light and airy and everything feels and looks high quality.

The coffee was the best I've had anywhere in the USA and comes very, very close to the (high) standards Australians are used to and miss terribly when travelling in the USA.

Service from all the staff was warm, genuine, relaxed and refreshingly natural...nothing forced, contrived or overbearing. The staff were always ready to assist when you need it and politely and discreetly out of the way when you didn't.

The location is ideal for taking in the best of Chicago, especially if you like to explore on foot.

I will be back, unfortunately not soon enough for my liking, but I will definitely be staying at the PUBLIC on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Angelo_W73,

I really enjoyed your review of the hotel, I thought your descriptions of the aesthetics were spot on. But I am most happy about the mention of our service. This is exactly what we aim for and I am ecstatic that it was delivered. I know we may not see you soon but when we do we will have a coffee waiting for you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Perfectly situated on the Gold Coast which is a short walk downtown and to Lincoln Park. Swanky ambiance with just enough of the retro Ambassador East snapshots. Great bar scene what ever your mood. The Farm to Table menu in the re-envisioned Pump Room is spot on. Our hotel room appointments were comfortable with a 'smallish' yet 'stylish' bathroom.

We've decided to stay at thsi hotel during our annual jaunts to Chicago. I look froward to staying here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Jon L,

Thank you for the great review! The mix of old and new in our hotel is one of my favorite aspects as well, sometimes I catch myself just looking up at the intricate wood work and wish I had it in my home. I love the Pump Room food also, the hand made pasta is one of my favorites. We cannot wait to host you again at PUBLIC, look forward to seeing you soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Loved staying at this place. Rooms were large and comfortable. Staff was polite. Food was amazing. And the barista, Kirsten Green, makes (hands down) the best lattes I've ever had in the city. Plus, she's cool. Worth coming to this place just to have coffee with her!

Cassandra_m_11,

I love the coffee too! I have never had La Colombe before working here but since I have it's hard to enjoy anything else. Thank you for the really nice comments about Kirsten, she is a rock star for sure. I hope you will come and stay with us again soon!

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I had never been to Chicago before. We chose Public because of its location and price. We absolutely lucked out!! The hotel is beautiful. The service was amazing. The concierge was very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is PERFECT! It is near everything: restaurants, bars, the beach/lake, Magnificent Mile, etc. We will definitely stay there when we go back.

Keith M,

Thank you for such an amazing review, I'm excited to have you come back and see us! I completely agree that Terry and Alexandra are wonderful, we are proud to have them as part of our team. I hope it will not be to long before we can help you again.

Matthew

Been to PUBLIC Chicago? Share your experiences!