“Lovely hotel, great area.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

You added PUBLIC Chicago to your Saves list
PUBLIC Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 North State Parkway, Chicago, IL 60610 (Formerly Ambassador East Hotel) (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #86 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely hotel, great area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here for one night on business in Chicago. As others have mentioned, it's centrally located with a plethora of fabulous restaurants in the area. I ate at Table 52 and the food was excellent. This is an old building and I love old buildings but if you are looking for brand new contemporary, this isn't your place. They've done a nice job of making the rooms contemporary and comfortable. The bathroom was small but clean. The rooms were quiet. I thought the hallways were dark but who spends time in the hallways? The bar seemed quite lively but I didn't go in. I called in the morning for my car and the valet made sure it was waiting for me. Nice customer service!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
swanchat56,

Hello! I just wanted to thank you for taking the time and posting your kind words on tripadvisor. We love to hear this information and share it with the associates. I love the food in the Pump Room as well(the fried chicken is amazing!) We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The PUBLIC Chicago is a lovely hotel in a lovely area...when seen from afar. The design is crisp and modern, with beautifully soothing monochromatic palettes throughout the hotel: white in the lobby and rooms, a deep taupe in hallways. Overall, the effect is calming and pleasing to the eye. The issues for us arose when we experienced some of the details.

Cons: the actual detail work in our room was oddly shoddy...paint streaks, stained carpets, and roughly patched walls. The worst part was a basic mistake in the room's setup. The television in the neighboring room was mounted on the same all that the head of our bed was placed against. The effect was (alas) that we could hear every word from our neighbor's flatscreen as the vibrations were conducted through the wall. This did not help us sleep well. (Yes, there are options like asking politely to turn it down, calling the front desk...but this is the first time in decades of hotel stays where this has been necessary for us.)

Pros: the style really is lovely. The bath was deep, and the shower stream was strong. The bed was deeply comfy. The hotel itself is perfectly located...the area is quiet and beautiful, but it is walking distance to the shops and restaurants on the Mag Mile, and to the beach. The Pump Room is a decently good restaurant. Exceptional design scheme. Service was good.

Verdict: I want to like this hotel based on the superficial qualities, but when it comes to our actual stay in the room we paid for...we can't say we really enjoyed it. You can do as well or far better for the same price or less at a multitude of nearby hotels. If you like the design of the PUBLIC, I particularly encourage giving The James a try.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

When looking for a small boutique hotel with a great location Public has it all. The location is within walking distance to the Lincoln Park Zoo, Lake Michigan and its very nice beaches,great restaurants such as Zinc, Tavern on Rush, Merlot on Maple and of coarse the wonderful Pump Room right in the Public. Don't miss that restaurant for sure. The wait staff is wonderful and the food is to die for. Don't forget dessert after your wonderful meal. The rooms are very minimalist but with everything that one would need for a pleasant stay. The whole staff at the Public are very accomodating and will go out of their way to make your stay a very pleasant one.
Go and enjoy your time in the Windy City at the Public !!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Travelers43551,

That is truly one of the nicest reviews I have read about any hotel on tripadvisor! We are very appreciative of the feedback and will use this to get our team pumped up about service.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I really don't have much to complain about when it comes to staying at Public. We stayed on a week night this past week during the July 4th holiday and had a great stay. The room was just okay. If you are looking for a hotel room that has a nice, plush bed and other amenities like decorations on the wall you will be disappointed at Public. The room seemed like everything came from Ikea and there was about two picture on the white, barren walls. Also, the toilet was an industrial one like you'd see in a public place which struck me as odd. I guess that goes with the rest of the design?
Very swanky lobby and the concierge was so helpful in getting reservations for us at restaurants and any tours that we wanted to do. The location is fantastic. We were able to walk right down State St to Michigan Ave and on to the river. It really is easy, especially if you don't know your way around the city too well. The lake is about two blocks away too.
If you are literally looking for a place to lay your head because you will be out of the room all day, this place is perfect!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mjensand,

Thank you for your 4 out of 5 review! I love the lobby as well and appreciate the feedback about our concierge, they really do a great job. I hope to have you visit us again soon and we can turn that 4 into a 5!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

For a three night weekend in the city, this property fit the bill. Decor is chic and comfortable at once. The location is this hotel's strength. A couple blocks from great dining options day & night, shopping, and only about three blocks to the CTA (rail) station. The room was fairly spacious for Chicago though bathroom a bit small. The concierge (Terry) was excellent with wonderful recommendations. The bar staff in the restaurant (Pump Room) could use some coaching on friendliness, otherwise, good service. Little things like toiletries and bath robes were sparse / missing respectively.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Baru2u,

Thank you for such great comments. I will pass on your praise to Terry, he will love to hear the feedback! I am sorry that you did not have a robe in your room, next time you stay with us simply call down and we will be happy to deliver a robe to you. I look forward to your next visit and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

As many other reviewers have said, the Public Hotel has a swanky lobby with a nightclub feel. That did not bother me in the least; I like hip, boutique-y hotels that are not your average, stuffy hotels, especially because once you are in your room, you don't hear any noise from the lobby. What DID bother me, however, was the fact that our room was located directly adjacent to the elevator, and we could hear the clanging of the elevator as it went up and down. This is not too much of a problem during the day, but imagine how annoying that is when you are trying to fall asleep at night. To the hotel's credit, they did offer to move us to another room for the next night, but we were only staying two nights and had so many obligations during the day with a family wedding that by the time the hotel called us to let us know the new room was available, we didn't have time to come back to the hotel and pack up and move everything.

Aside from the elevator noise, I found the room to be small and quite average. No view, no interesting amenities, nothing special. This hotel's best quality is its fantastic location in easy proximity to Michigan Avenue, River North, the lake, Lincoln Park, and Old Town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
CMK490,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I am however sorry that there were some items during your stay that could have been better. I hope that you can come visit us again soon so we can win you over and change your outlook on the hotel.

Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Price right for all the good service that you get. The staff greets you right away with a smiling faces. I feel like I'm someone when I was in the hotel. Very friendly and hospitable people. A true sense of hospitality.
The food is great complete with great ambiance and great service.
Room attendant very attentive and my request was fulfilled immediately. Talk about fast service with a smile.
The lobby is awesome, I have so many selfie in the lobby and library bar.
I'll recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: room 1628, the loft style
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Larry B,

Thank you very much for your lovely review! It is very refreshing to hear how well your stay was and that you felt special. I hope you can come and visit us again very soon.

STAYPUBLIC,

Matthew

Been to PUBLIC Chicago? Share your experiences!