“Staying at the Pub” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

You added PUBLIC Chicago to your Saves list
PUBLIC Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 North State Parkway, Chicago, IL 60610 (Formerly Ambassador East Hotel) (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #86 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Brisbane
“Staying at the Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband had a conference at the Public but as we were taking a holiday prior we decided to book the night before and meet some friends who travelled in to see us.

This proved difficult. The reservation lady was abrupt and rude. It ended up with me booking via Expedia because they could give me a better rate than what she was proposing. When we arrived they gave us a broom closet beside a lift. It was a small, noisy and nasty little room. However, the next morning we checked out of that room and checked back in for the conference. It was entirely different.

The new room was far better where it was larger and quieter. We stayed for four nights and enjoyed the experience.

The hotel is well positioned in the city where it is situated in a quiet neighbourhood. We enjoyed exploring the city from this hotel.

The staff were friendly and helpful (expect the lady in reservations).

The only other negatives would be the lack of power points to charge phones, laptops, cameras etc, the small bathrooms, the automatic heater that has you sweating buckets before you go out into the cold; and that you can hear the people in the rooms next door.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lifts. The rooms aren't very sound proof.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Avagoodholiday,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your experience with us. I am sincerely sorry for the lack of service you received by our reservation agent. This is unacceptable and will be addressed immediately. I am glad you enjoyed the second room you had. I look forward to welcome you back when you visit Chicago again.

Kathryn Day

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Winterthur, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

PUBIC Chicago's location is perfect - quiet and safe neighborhood, 15 minutes from down-town Chicago. Shopping, restaurants etc. nearby. The rooms are intelligentely and elegantely furnished. Yet, the noise insulation could be better, the noise nuisance depends on who's next door. I recommend ear plugs! - Food is excellent - the Chef de Cuisine knows his job and has a nice "flair" for the European palate.... The selection of wine fits well to the various dishes. - The staff is very well trained; the friendliness is truly genuine! The Chief Concierge and his team provided excellent advice how to best explore the town - which was very helpful considering the short stay in Chicago. I am very much looking forward to be back at the PUBLIC Chicago!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms ElsaTha,

I appreciate the time you took to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our location in the heart of the Gold Coast, as you stated we are only minutes from the prestigious shopping and dining on Rush Street. Thank you for your comments with regards to our food; all of our food and beverage offerings, all prepared in collaboration with Jean-Georges.

I am very proud of our staff, especially our Chief concierge and the service they provide. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the PUBLIC Chicago in the very near future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My top five:
1. The staff are excellent. From the door guys, to Mike at the coffee bar, to the check in staff - all provided an impeccable level of service.
2 . The room was awesome. Very modern, minimal sleek decor. Mostly importantly it had an abundance of light which seems nearly impossible for all other hotels to manage. It created a very pleasant work environment as I could bash away at my emails while enjoying a vista of a snow whipped Chicago.
3. Incredible night life and food offerings in the lobby. Not your typical dreary hotel bar full of degenerate business travelers.
4. Excellent Gold Coast location. Great fitness center on the 11th floor.
5. The overall impact was that one felt swish in a sleek modern hotel. It added an edge to the trip which in turn magnified my enjoyment of Chicago.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear PatrickMarsden,
Thank you for an excellent review of the PUBLIC Chicago. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the service of our staff,t he vibe and energy of our nightlife; which as you state is unlike any other hotel; our room décor, and our ideal location in the heart of the Chicago Gold Coast. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.
Waverly, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I attended a conference at the PUBLIC, so the hotel choice was out of my control. And I have to admit that the minimalist decor gave me pause. But the staff is so warm and gracious that I felt more like I was staying with friends. They met my every need and kept me calm and focused on my work. (I won an award at the conference and believe me, the fact that I was comfortable and happy had a lot to do with it!)

Room Tip: It is a great location - near the Magnificent Mile and the government buildings. It was easy to walk...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear mbcomm09,

Congratulations on your award. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and you felt like you were in someone’s home! We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

For the price I was expecting something special from Public. Although our short stay there was enjoyable enough, nothing about the hotel particularly impressed.

The room was clean but the decor was really showing signs of age.
Staff were pleasant but we had to wait a long time to be served.
Facilities (usable wifi, drinks etc.) were expensive.

OK but Chicago has better options.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt F,

I’m sorry you didn’t find our hotel special in any way. We attempt to offer a valued experience for our guests, and I am sorry you didn’t feel you received that. I would like the opportunity to speak to you in person, so I can understand your comments further. I can be reached at 3122296700 when convenient. I look forward to your call.

Best regards,

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This place modern but comfy. We've stayed here a couple of times and have always enjoyed it. The bar downstars is nice as is the coffee shop. We like to sit in the lobby with a drink and watch the people coming and going.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room! Huge!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Rose S,

Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel! I am thrilled you enjoy staying with us, especially our bar, coffee bar, and our lobby. We look forward to have you again as our guest! Hope to see you very soon.

Best Regards,

Montrose, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have stayed here before...Spent well into the thousands at the hotel and restaurant. This experience was the worst I've had at a Hotel In a long time. I walk in to register, the last informs me my room type I paid EXTRA for online is not available and my only option is to upgrade to a suite or for them to keep my money and not refund me and me not stay. So I got a suite, granted, the suite was VERY NICE...I really enjoyed it, but I paid extra for it, she said it was the only option. It was not ready so she would call me when it would be. So I went into the bar/lounge area and ordered drinks and food. The drinks they made us were wrong, nothing like what I ordered, so after a period of time, new drinks were brought out. 50 Minutes after ordering our food and seeing our waitress 1 time, we asked where it was. She went to go check on it, came back and said the slip fell under the counter, but since it is all pre-frozen and just fried, it wouldn't take long. I forget the waitresses name, but she stated she was dating the bartender who would remake our drinks the right way. We got called by the front desk in the meantime and our room was ready, it was VERY NICE, good size, roomy, great decor. The next night I have reservations at Balena (excellent restaurant btw), so we go outside and get in a cab, as the cab is taking off, the front door person at the hotel demands us to get out (no one else in line) and wait for the next cab. He told us to follow the rules or else....and that there is a system....I was shocked, I stay at 5 Star Hotels over 25 times a year and never had this happen. On the plus side, there was an awesome bartender who knew everything about the area, I wish I remembered his name, spikey hair, tattoos and had a daughter. Anyways, the first time I went it couldn't be better...this time, service was worst I've had in a lonnnng time. The front desk lady who was african american and younger, was probably the worst front desk check in person I have ever met in my life.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Tim T,

Thank you for your review and thank you for your time on the telephone just now. I appreciate you sharing your insight on this past stay.I am so glad you enjoyed your previous stays with us and will consider staying with us again. I have addressed each of the issues internally and look forward to welcome you back in the very near future. Please contact me when you do, so I can personally assist with all of your arrangements.

Kathryn Day

Been to PUBLIC Chicago? Share your experiences!