“Great Lobby Design...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

You added PUBLIC Chicago to your Saves list
PUBLIC Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 North State Parkway, Chicago, IL 60610 (Formerly Ambassador East Hotel) (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #86 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Great Lobby Design...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

But I doubt I'd stay here again. It's just too much of a scene. When entering the lobby at night it's wall to wall wannabes sloshing their drinks all over the floors and furniture. After elbowing your way to the elevators you head to your room in solitude. Perhaps I'm too old for the hipness and bouncers at every turn. If it was really chic, a select few would know about it. However, Public has unleashed their PR machine to the hotels detriment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Donald_Bowman, Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at PUBLIC Chicago. We truly appreciate your honest feedback and welcome any further comments you may have so that we can improve our hotel and ensure that our guests have the best experience possible.

When you stayed with us in October, the lobby was especially busy as we had just recently opened and were hosting a number of opening events. We hope for the lobby to become a place to socialize and work, people watch and relax.

We hope you decide to give us another try on your next business trip to Chicago or perhaps the next time you are here for leisure.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

PUBLIC Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

What at total let down. This is an iconic Chicago location. The service is beyond horrible. The staff is rude (including the management staff – Jay is a joke), the food is average (at best) and the portions are small. Chicago is full of great restaurants. This is one I would skip. For three of us, we have a $1,000 bar bill and our service was a disgrace. Ian schrager, you should be ashamed of yourself. If the hotel is anything like the bar and restaurant, do yourself a favor and skip this place altogether. Trust me, read the reviews, service, service service…bad, bad, bad!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent visit to The Pump Room. We are thrilled with the success of the restaurant, but as with any new venture, we are experiencing “growing pains” and we see that you visited us when we had only been open for 2 weeks and we have improved tremendously since then. We are truly sorry that you were disappointed. We try our very best to please our customers in hopes that each and every one has a positive and memorable experience. We honestly hope that you will give us another try.

If I can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Peter Walterspiel
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I can’t say enough great things about my experience at the Public Hotel. Not only will I stay here on my future trips to Chicago, the hotel alone makes me want to come back as soon as possible! Here are just a few of the reasons why I love this place:
1. Every single staff person throughout the hotel was friendly, warm, and welcoming. (They must hire them all from a modeling agency because they are unbelievably good-looking too!)
2. The public spaces are not only interesting looking and luxurious but also comfortable! If I have to spend 3 hours working at my hotel, why not do so sitting in a cozy sheep skin-covered chair, next to a fireplace with a delicious coffee drink!
3. Speaking of drinks, the cocktail menu is interesting and delicious as is the food menu. I haven’t eaten so well since… I can’t remember when! And yet the prices are affordable!
4. The social scene here is very cool. People of all races, ages, and styles make for great people watching but the mid-western charm of the clientele made me forget I was rubbing elbows with the chic and glamorous.
5. Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel is just an acknowledgment that we are living in a technology world and should do so without limitations. Charging for internet is like charging for air.
6. Free access to the nicest gym I have ever been to: totally unique design, more pretty people, AMAZING classes, (I’m still sore!), and top-quality gym equipment.
7. Perfect location – walking distance to restaurants, shops along the miracle mile, and just steps away from the shore, (you can’t beat that view!)
I could go on but I shouldn’t need to. Book your room now! You won’t regret it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
PUBLIC_Manager, Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for visiting PUBLIC Chicago. We appreciate hearing your positive feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

This was my first time in Chicago and I stayed at the Public 2 weeks after their grand opening. I was a little nervous because it was advertised as Ian schragers cheaper hotel group. We only paid $200 a night but the hotel exceeded my expectations. He definitely didn't skimp on design or quality of the hotel. Well I take that back, maybe in the bathrooms. They still do have the original bathroom tubs I guess from when it was a condo building. Other than that everything was great! The staff was so nice and friendly from the second we pulled up to the valet. The lobby was a great scene, I could have stayed there all night and just people watched and hung out. For the price it was great!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Do yourself a favor and stay at the Public Hotel. From the moment we arrived we were in awe of the hospitality and attention to detail. Not only will you receive world class service but you will be amazed by your surroundings. Quirky, sophisticated, elegant, amazing! We chose the Public for our anniversary trip to Chicago. It was our first visit to the windy city and honestly we are thinking of moving to the very neighborhood that the Public Hotel is located in. Quiet, sophisticated and so close to the heart of downtown. It was almost like a dream. What a truly amazing job they have done renovating the historic Ambassador East hotel into a modern , eclectic gem! Our dinner at the Pump Room was the highlight of our trip. You made our dreams come true. If you don't choose the Public for your next trip to Chicago , you have missed out!!

Room Tip: The basic King rooms are very chic but can be a little cramped because of their size. Although they...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review and for sharing your PUBLIC Chicago experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

This hotel's claim to excellent service holds true. A gentleman grabbed my bag from the taxi, and by the time I had paid the driver and made it inside, they had already pulled up my reservation and greeted me by name. My suite was comfortable, clean and modern and every staff person I encountered was exceedingly friendly and accommodating. For example, my server in the Library happily checked in with the Pump Room to secure a table for me for dinner, and the hostess called me to tell me when it was available. The real fun of this place, however, is the design. The 20-foot custom leather chesterfield coupled with a fireplace and sheepskin covered chairs made the bar a hard place to leave.

My one sore point is transportation. Despite reserving the house car for my downtown commute in the morning, it arrived 30 minutes late. And no taxis were available as a plan B. Other guests were waiting 45+ minutes for a cab. The staff blamed the light rain and residential location for the problem, but one of those is a constant. Perhaps it was an off-day, but I would advise planning ahead to ensure you can get where you need to be on time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for review. We were delighted to read your positive feedback! We have also noted your comments about the transportation and can promise you that we are currently working to provide great transportation alternatives. We hope to see you again soon.

Bettendorf, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed at the Public this past Friday night. The service is outstanding. It started when we pulled up front. The guys working the parking were happy and more than willing to assist. Check in was a breeze and the staff were very professional and nice. We were than escorted to our modern hotel room and the bellman gave us a quick tour. When we returned after dinner the pump room was fill and things were happening however once on the elevator and up to our floor the noise was left behind. The hotel is also located within some of the best restaurants in Chicago. We had a great breakfast in the morning and the staff was there to serve you in anyway possible. Great experience at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at PUBLIC Chicago. It was truly a pleasure for us to have you and we appreciate your great review.

We hope to see you the next time you are in Chicago.

PUBLIC Chicago

Been to PUBLIC Chicago? Share your experiences!