“Discount Prices Off of Michigan Ave” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile

You added Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   162 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Ranked #128 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Discount Prices Off of Michigan Ave”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Bottom Line Here: About the only cheap option on Michigan Ave. If you're not fussed about an older building and dated decor (carpets, etc), you'll likely find Red Roof to be Value for Money. If you're looking for modern and luxurious, keep looking.

I stayed at Red Roof over a weekend visiting friends in Chicago. It's location near Michigan Ave is tough to beat for the price. However, it is an older building, with two tiny cramped elevators and narrow hallways. The weekend I stayed it had attracted a number of student-age types and families. If you stay here, plan on some elevator waiting time. Some people have complained about the front desk staff. I had no problem at all and found them very friendly. But if you're expecting the all-points concierge of a five star hotel, you'll be disappointed. All I needed was a room key and checkout and that was fine.

Rooms: Dated and a little dark, but fine for a 2.5-3 star range hotel. I got what I needed for a cheap flop: a bed, a working shower with hot water, an iron and board, free wifi and a TV and minifridge. I wasn't looking for more as I planned to be out of the room at least 16 hours every day. If this is your concept, you won't be disappointed. I noticed it was booked solid weeks in advance - likely because of the prices vis-a-vis other Michigan Ave hotels - so book well in advance.

Room Tip: Book way in advance, the low prices attract lots of guests.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We particularly appreciate a positive review from a guest who has traveled so much and has written many other reviews for Trip Advisor. Your detailed overview should be very helpful to other travelers as they decide where to stay in Chicago. It is our goal to provide clean, affordable rooms and friendly and helpful Front Desk services. As you noted, we are a budget hotel, in the Red Roof Inn tradition, and we have a location that is impossible to beat for guests interested in tourism and shopping. Thanks again for this helpful review.

Heidi Cordes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
La Salle, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

my husband and I stayed here for the yearly UFC on Fox that hits chicago in jan. and we had a wonderful stay. It was very close to everything, and the room was so nice. Updated and clean. The bed was very comfy and the whole experience was amazing!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the good review! We agree that our updated look is a great improvement, and we are receiving complements on our new beds. It is our goal to provide our guests with clean, affordable lodging and friendly, helpful service. Hope to see you again!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have nothing much to say for this inn, except for the tiny little room and hairy bed.
It has an excellent location near Michigan, and the fare compared with other hotels are affordable. Nearby there is a seven-11 convenient store and other restaurant to get some breakfast if you like.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
I am very sorry that your room was so far under our standards. You have every right to expect a clean, comfortable and affordable room when you stay in a Red Roof Inn. Did you let the Front Desk know? They would surely have changed your room, because the room you describe is totally not acceptable. I will be investigating how this could have happened. Again, I regret that your room was not up to our standards.

Tucson, Az
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed for the Academy of Ophthalmology meeting. Am a Chicago native and have stayed at this property in the past. What a mistake!! Location is great, but so is the alley behind Water Tower Place. The carpet stinks and is stained, the exterior hallways are awful, bathrooms barely function, no water pressure. I thought my rate of $180 was good. I went on Hotwire and was able to get a room at the Allerton (Wonderful in all regards!!!!) for $180 and moved. Stay away from this property. It is a slum like property.

Room Tip: Consider ANY other hotel. The location is great but so is the alley behind Water Tower Place.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I appreciate your comments and sincerely apologize your stay was not a pleasant one. I realize you stayed with us last year, but since then the hotel has completed some major upgrades. Most of our guest rooms have received new floor coverings. All of our hallways and common areas have new carpet installed, as well, and much more.

I am confident if you visited us again you would be pleased with the changes.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

David was one of the best employess who provided excellent service during our stay by ensuring comfort in our rooms and guidance to local attractions when we left. He gave us directions to and information for a department store I needed by asking questions regarding what I needed so that I went to the right place, and gave my friend and I easy directions by foot to the Chicago art museum which made for an excellent stay and visit to the Chicago city area. Kudos to David!

Room Tip: ask about which area rooms might be more quiet. I woke once or twice to ambulance or police sirens...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review! We try hard to provide good service for our guests. We know that having helpful, knowledgeable staff can make a real difference to a guest’s experience in Chicago. It is our goal to provide affordable, clean lodging for frugal travelers, so they will have more money to visit department stores and art museums! Again, thanks for taking the time to write.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stumbled across this place when looking for a cheap place to stay in Chicago. I wasn't expecting much and got something great. Perfect location, helpful staff, mostly clean rooms and a price which was outstanding. When I go back to Chicago, this is the first place I will look to stay

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for writing this nice review for our Red Roof Inn. Yes, we are an inexpensive hotel, but we intend to assure guests get a friendly, helpful reception and clean rooms with comfortable beds. Our location speaks for itself… 1 ½ blocks from the Magnificent Mile. Thank you for visiting, and we are very pleased that you expect to stay with us again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Relocating to Chicago, looking for a job and a place to stay isn't easy. First of all location. I could have easily paid at least double what I did for a room just off the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave) so Red Roof's price was excellent. Also, there are at least 50 restaurants (5-star to greasy burger joint and everything in between) within a stones throw of the front door. And shopping? I doesn't get any better, so bring your plastic! So, I was pleased to find such a bargain. Hidden Gem; the Fourth Floor of Nordstom on Michigan has a cafe...GO VISIT!!! Now for the staff. Having a friendly, knowledgeable and professional staff made it so much more relaxing. Each time I passed through the tiny little lobby, they were always quick with a smile and greeting. Although the housekeeping staff starts their rounds much later than what I'm accustomed to, they were excellent too...always assuring I had anything I needed. They were great! Special shouts to my new Chicago friend that works the front desk, Ms. Vanessa! As she knew I was seeking employment, she always had kind words...and even an occasional hug! The only knock is the lack of a fitness center. Otherwise excellent! Anyone visiting me from out of town will get a nod for the Red Roof Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and positive review for us! It is very helpful to other travelers to give specifics about what is available around our Red Roof Inn. And we are delighted with your description of our Front Desk staff. Vanessa is a real asset to our hotel, as you have noticed. Our goal is to create a friendly atmosphere and provide affordable, clean rooms to frugal travelers and people staying a while in Chicago. We were glad to be your “home” while you looked for a new one in Chicago.

Heidi Cordes

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!