“What a surprise for a budget hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile

You added Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   162 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Ranked #128 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Windsor, Canada
“What a surprise for a budget hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The question is: what do you want in a budget hotel? Friendly, helpful staff? Free WiFi? Good location? This downtown Chicago hotel has all that and more. Sure, it's getting a bit shabby around the edges, but the staff are making sure guests are getting the most they can offer. We took a 5-day excursion to Chicago to see the sights of the city, not spend our days in a hotel room, and the Red Roof was situated within walking distance of about half of our destinations and one short block off the Magnificent Mile, making connecting to the CTA buses, subways and el-trains easy. Even though we booked through a discount online service to get the cheapest rate we could, we were greeted as old friends, though we'd never been there before, given a room upgrade with a magnificent view, and found a welcome bag of goodies awaiting us. The staff made excellent dining recommendations, gave us tips negotiate the transit system and the hotel let us stash our bags for 10 hours after checkout. Of course, in 5 days, we didn't get to see everything Chicago has to offer, so we're definitely staying at this hotel on a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room (bigger) on a higher floor (better view).
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

This is this second time i have stayed here and nothing has changed in 5 years it has just dated
It is time for an upgrade but still good value and clean,we arrived at 1 in the morning and the desk staff were great we had just flown 22 hrs and were exhausted they wervery friendly and got us to our room very promptly
Had a bit of trouble opening the windows to get fresh air but once we got that done sleep like a baby until early morning andthen we went exploring chicago and what a great city I Love it
Do the river architecture tour it is a must for visitors to chicago to understandthecity.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

As a former customer service trainer, I'm always observing customer experiences. The Downtown Chicago Red Roof definitely earns an A+!

Since I started my current job a year ago, I'm back and forth to Chicago often. We stay at the Downtown Red Roof for the value and the proximity to our office. The staff has always been extremely friendly and accommodating, and they always knew my boss by name, which was nice, but expected seeing that she stays there sometimes 3 weeks out if a month or more. The rooms are always clean, the beds always comfy.

It was my last visit which blew me away. I had not been to Chicago for probably 3 months. Even when I came regularly, unlike my boss, I was only there maybe once a month. When I checked in, I wasn't surprised that they greeted me as if they were really happy to see me. I wasn't even surprised that despite the hundreds and hundreds of people who are in and out of the busy hotel, they recognized my face. What shocked me was as I reached in my purse to get my ID, the clerk addressed me by name. She knew what kind of room I liked. She even knew to use my Redi Card and corporate code to get me the best rate...all without me saying a word. I felt like a celebrity.

In addition to the five-star customer service, the hotel provides the most affordable and covenient valet parking in downtown Chicago. They offer free bag checking for those who arrive before check-in or business travellers like me who need a place to stash their luggage after check-out while they conduct their business in the city. There are great restaurants just steps away, and the hotel is just a block from the Magnificent Mile.

When I'm at the Red Roof in Downtown Chicago, I feel like I'm in a home away from home.

• Stayed October 2011
Saint Paul, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Yes, this hotel is in a good downtown location, but the rooms are tiny, depressing, and less than clean. If it hadn't been 11:00 PM, and if our car hadn't already been taken away by the valet, we would have walked out. We did request (and get) a less smoky smelling room which helped somewhat. We decided to make the best of things; however, when we got our bill for over $400 for 2 nights, I got mad all over again, especially about the bogus $1.50/day 'safe fee.' The staff were helpful, and I don't blame them for the shabbiness of the hotel, but the Red Roof Inn chain should be ashamed. This has turned me off ever staying at a RRI again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. At Red Roof Inn we appreciate our guests’ feedback and do whatever we can to ensure they have a positive experience while they are with us. I apologize that we failed to accomplish this goal during your stay. Our building is nearly 100 years old and by today’s standards some of our standard rooms are smaller when compared to other hotels. We do offer deluxe rooms that are much larger at a slightly higher price. I realize that $400 for two nights is a lot to pay, but our rates are far below our competition in the area and we always strive to offer the best in terms of both experience and value.

Most guests truly appreciate the added safety and security of our in room safes for their valuables and we understand that not all guests will take advantage of this safety feature. There is a written disclosure on the registration slip you sign when you check in that states that the safe charge will automatically post nightly. We certainly are transparent about the charge and want our guests to know that there are no hidden fees. However, if you do not use the safe, we do not expect you to pay for it. We cannot prevent the charges from posting, but we are happy to reverse them when requested.

We do have a great location and I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful. As I stated, Red Roof Inn does listen to our guests and as a result the hotel will be undergoing some major improvements this winter. I am very excited about the upgrades to our rooms and common areas. I do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Chicago's Red Roof Inn is in a great neighborhood, one block from the Mag. Mile and about four blocks north of the river. Rooms are basic, but clean, and have an in-room coffee set-up (which my friends at a far more expensive Chicago hotel didn't have). The staff is absolutely wonderful and very knowledgeable; and the price is definitely affordable. I'll stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
I sincerely appreciate your review and thank you for telling everyone about your recent stay. I am always glad when a guest has a positive experience and wants to share it.

Our rooms are pretty basic since we are an economy hotel and you do not pay for a lot of frills. As you noted, we are definitely affordable, especially for a downtown Chicago hotel. We do offer an in room coffee maker and other amenities including an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, and free WiFi in all of our rooms. We also have in room safes for a small fee to protect your valuables.

Thank you for the kind words about the staff. I am pleased that our service and knowledge of the area exceeded your expectations. I will share your comments with every employee.

I look forward to your return the next time you are in Chicago.

Barcelona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Relation price/quality terrible. Small room with very bad odor. In general the hotel needs a quick renovation

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Vemol,

Thank you for your comments and review. I do apologize that your stay was not an entirely pleasant one. We certainly are responsible for a pleasant scent in our rooms, but we are challenged with the size of our rooms. Our building is nearly 100 years old and many of our standard rooms are small when compared to newer hotels in the city. We do offer deluxe rooms that are much larger, but they are priced slightly higher.

Red Roof Inn values their customers' opinions and welcomes their feedback. You and many other customers have commented that the hotel needs a renovation and we have heard you and loud and clear. We are getting a major refresh this winter. Personally, I am eager for the work to begin, so that our guests can start enjoying the improvements.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review. If you are in Chicago again, please stop in so we can show the upgrades. I think you will be pleased with changes.

Carson City, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I always look for the best bargain and location and am not picky, but we found the room to be very depressing and outdated. The wall paper had a panel feel with dark redish carpet. The pictures people have posted give a good view of what they looked like. When we found sugar ants marching a piece of popcorn around the room right after check-in I asked for a different room, maybe newer? However, they said we WERE in the new section. They did let me "borrow" their vacuum so I could vacuum them up. We continued to have ants through the 5 day stay and I continued to borrow the vacuum each night. The staff was pleasant and I was told I would get a $30 credit on my hotel fee for the inconvenience, but I never saw it. But for the time we spent in the room, if you don't mind the depressing feel and maybe a few ants - it was a GREAT LOCATION AT A GREAT PRICE! It is right around the corner from the Magnificent Mile, go to the delicious popcorn store across the street (but remember don't drop a piece in your room)! : )

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sphess,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review about your stay. Your feedback is very important to me. Our guests are valued customers and I truly listen to what they have to say. I especially liked your comment about the popcorn and your sense of humor. There is a great popcorn store right across the street. You can smell the delicious concoctions as soon as you step outside our door.

I sincerely apologize for the ants in your room. We have a contract with a national pest elimination company that inspects our rooms on a monthly basis and treats if needed. I see that you stayed in April, but we will remain diligent in our monthly inspections to ensure there are no ants or any other insects in our rooms.

I am glad that you feel we are a good value. We do have a fabulous location that is within walking distance of nearly all of the major attractions. I am even more pleased to say that the hotel is receiving some major upgrades this winter including the removal of the dated wallpaper and installation of new carpeting, among other improvements. Very soon our rooms will reflect our great location.

Thank you again for your business and I do hope you and your family will choose Red Roof Inn again the next time you are in Chicago. I am confident you will be pleased with the upgrades.

Heidi Cordes

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!