“Good hotel in great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Chicago

You added InterContinental Chicago to your Saves list
InterContinental Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #71 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The hotel is in a prime location for everything in the city and most areas can be walked to. The rooms were not the largest but were comfortable and clean. Not sure on the carpet either in the hallway lol! The concierge desk were very attentive and helpful and the history of the hotel shown through and it was an enjyable stay while on my business trip.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westchester, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We spent this past weekend in Chicago for a wedding. The Inter Continental Hotel on Michigan Ave was a great location for shopping, touring and eating in the downtown area.
We were in the middle of the AIA Architectural Open House weekend and that was great. We were not far from the Art Institute and in the same building as the wedding we were attending.
The rooms are fine, there is a Starbucks downstairs and one down the street which is less crazy.
Shopping is all around and it's a great choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Holland, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Was visiting Chicago for business and was staying on a pre-arranged booking. The single King bed room was small but adequate, but the Michael Jordan Restaurant in the hotel was superb, there was no need to go anywhere else but of course we had to try the Chicago Chop House which was another great dining choice.
Would recommend for small business meetings 15 to 50 attendees or just to get around and see Chicago for pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sobieski
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have to say that the Intercontinental Hotel is a beautiful hotel at a wonderful location. I wish that the experience I had was as wonderful. I booked my room through Priceline the night before I went, as this was an unplanned trip. When I checked in 5PM, the front desk associate proceeded to scold me for booking through the third party site and said I should only book with the hotel website. I was very offended at both her tone and her manners. She finished checking me in quickly, thank goodness and off to my room I went. Upon arriving at the room, I found no shampoo, conditioner or soap and feather pillows (allergic). I tried to call down to request alternative pillows and shampoo and soap, but the phone would not call down to the concierge or out at all. I went down to request these items, and was assured they would be up soon. By 7pm, I went down again with this request, the concierge acted surprised this was not done and called for this to be done again. I left for dinner, and upon return at 11pm the pillows were changed out on the bed, but the feather pillows were left on the floor in the room and 4 little bottles of conditioner were left.....no shampoo or soap. I went down once more with the same request. At 12AM, a knock on my door, and a woman handed me a bad of soap and 1 shampoo. We put the feather pillows outside of the room, which she did not take with her. I was very exasperated at the situation. I do not understand the level of service I received and the rudeness with this being a 4 star hotel. I am shocked that employees would even think of reprimanding a hotel guest as to where they booked their trip. This was not a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I am very sorry that your experience was not what we strive for. The items you mentioned are not acceptable in our standards and I am glad you brought it to our attention.

I have reviewed this information with the appropriate departments and we are incorporating your comments into our training and orientation.

We would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any future reservations

Yours Sincerely

Aravind Gudidevuni

Assistant Front Office Director
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Great location on the magnificent
Mile and being within a 15 min walk of Millenium Park. Also next door to the architectural tour pick-up spot which is a must while in Chicago. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The meeting space is nice and has some unique architecture. Would hold a meeting here in the future.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This property is a good example of the issue I now find with Intercontinental Hotels. There is a high degree of variability between properties. This variability extends to properties, rooms, facilities and service. Some are excellent - The Willard in Washington and the Barclay in New York. Some disappoint - the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco and the Chicago on North Michigan.

The hotel is in two parts - the Historic Tower and the New (not so new) Tower. The architecture in the public spaces and the conference rooms in the Historic Tower is impressive. However the rooms are dated. They do not appear to have received any love and attention for some time. I was in a 1 bedroom suite. It was comfortable. It was spacious enough - the size is fixed by the original construction of the Historic Tower and was not doubt comfortable in its day. However the furniture and soft furnishings did nothing to lift the ambience of the room. It was old, bulky (too bulky in the environment). The room had no charm.

The restaurant facilities were limited. The Michael Jordan Steakhouse served fine food. But the Starbucks in the foyer was an unfortunate discordant presence.

The service lacked warmth and style.

The location is very convenient.

A satisfactory business like experience with little personality or charm (apart from the architecture).

Room Tip: I stayed in the Historic Tower. It was historic. Some will like that. Some will not.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Mr.Philip G

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions

Aravind Gudidevuni

Assistant Front Office Director
Parchment, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

From the moment I pulled up to the door to the time I pulled out of the parking garage it was an excellent time. I was met with a smile, help with getting my bags and felt comfortable leaving my car in his hands. Checking out was easy and pleasent. Keenan took my bags and stored them while I shopped and helped me get everything to my car in the garage
I would go back the experience was great

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Chicago? Share your experiences!