“Business Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Chicago

You added InterContinental Chicago to your Saves list
InterContinental Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #81 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bradley, Illinois
“Business Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Used the InterContinental as a lodging location during business in Chicago. Fantastic place to stay. The checkin process was rough due to some miscommunication but this was immeadiately addressed byh the excellant staff cheking me in. Room was super clean and provided everything one would need. A caution to the hotel though is the use of the in room amenities. They have moved to a pressure sensored system where anything moved from the sensor will be billed to your room. They even wanted to charge yopu to remove the itmes that where open and not inside the refrigerator.
Location is fantastic there is nothing you wouldn't need within walking distance

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces Michigan Avenue. Many of the other lower rooms face rooftop obstructions...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental-Chicago for a weekend business trip, I was unhappy I had to spend my weekend working but the staff at the front-desk at check-in made me forget I was here for work.

They had me checked in within 5 minutes of me arriving, had my bags sent to my room and directed me to the wonderful fitness facilities. I highly recommend the pool, it is breath taking.

I believe the person that checked me in was named Daisy, I am awful with names but I never forget a smiling face.

My stay was fantastic, room service was excellent, my room was clean and well maintained and the hotel itself was amazing.

When I checked out I was once again greated by a smiling front desk agent who asked how my stay was and actually seemed to care.

The InterContinental provided me with excellent service, great facilities and a lasting impression. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Historic Tower is a must
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have had no problem staying beat up places, in fact, some of my fondest memories are the various college flop houses that I rented that had multiple health code violations or have long since been torn down in the name of public health. Of course, now I am a grown up and while that was fun, it is not so much any more. To sum up the IC in two words, worn out. I can look past the multiple nicks, dings, peeling wall paper, missing fixture, but when you awake to the putrid smell of sewer gas in you room, something is terribly amiss with the engineering department. The HVAC fan sounded like a 737 engine spooling up for take off. The Internet is obscenely over priced at $17.95 for 256K, or $24.95 for 1Mb of bandwidth. I actually had to ponder if that was a per month cost or whomever determines these things in the front office were stuck in 1998. I stay a really nice hotels all the time and have no problem with my employer paying a premium for high speed internet, with the caveat that it actually be high speed!! This hotel is awful and has earned the distinction of the second runner up for my worst hotel stay of 2012.

Room Tip: Stay at the Conrad or the Fairmont!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
We are going to undergo a major renovation starting January 2013 of the hotel’s Grand Tower. I appreciate your feedback and hope you return to see our remodeled rooms.

Best Regards
Simon Chapman
Director of Front Office
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here a week this past summer and returned on a business trip with my wife. The rooms continue to be excellent and very comfortable. Had a problem with the toilet and it was fixed within 15 minutes. Front desk was excellent. Did not have time to use the health club this time but did take my wife to see the luxurious pool. Breakfasts are excellent but very, very expensive for the buffets. Holiday decorations were beautiful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for providing your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food from our on-site restaurant. I am sorry your room accommodations was a let down and fell below your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible.
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Came back to the Interconti to do some early Christmas shopping. Can't beat the location. Staff always friendly and helpful! Love the pool too. Brings you back to the 20's. Got a massage this time. Ona was very professional.

• Stayed November 2012
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for the 5 Star review !! I will pass on the compliment to Ona, she always does a great job.
Willoughby, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a nice hotel in a good location but the experience was marred right off the bat by a terrible check-in experience. I booked this room for my 20 year old son and his friend for a weekend trip to Chicago in July 2012. They came from Cleveland by Megabus and walked one mile to the hotel in 95 degree weather. (First time traveling without parents/ next time they will know to use a taxi). They were hot and tired when they reached the hotel. My son tried to check-in using my credit card and was refused. The hotel clerk was very rude to my son and when my son called me and I spoke to the clerk, he was rude to me also. The clerk finally agreed to email me a credit card agreement form that I would have to print out, sign and then fax back to the hotel. When I got the email from the clerk, much to my surprise, it was already filled out with the travel information for a woman from Spain who had stayed in the hotel in April 2012. This form included her name, address, employer info, email address and worst of all, all her credit card information. Yes, that's right. The hotel had sent me everything I needed to know in order to steal this woman's identity and use her credit card. I was shocked! I called the hotel back and did not even get an apology from the clerk. He did not seem the least bit concerned about the email. He sent me another email with a blank form. I followed the instructions and faxed it back. Ten minutes later, the clerk was still denying that they had received the fax. After I demanded to speak to someone in the office, I was told "Ooops, we just found the fax". Then they made my son stand in line again to finish checking in. I find it unacceptable that check-in took over one and half hours. There was no seating available, so my son and his friend spent the whole time standing in the lobby. What was to be the start of a fun weekend in Chicago started out on a very bad note. And the hotel did not seem to have a care about the fact that they committed a huge breach of security by sending me detailed information about another traveler. After the trip, I sent a complaint to the main office of the Intercontinental Hotel chain. The only response I got was that they would pass along my complaint to the hotel in Chicago who would be contacting me. Well, it is now December 2012, and I have given up hope that anyone from that hotel is ever going to contact me. I am disappointed that a hotel that charges almost $200.00 a night for a room would treat a guest so rudely and then not respond in any way to a complaint about the experience. I am sure that the woman in Spain would not be pleased to know that her personal information and credit card info had been given to a compete stranger. And there is no excuse for the rudeness and poor treatment by the hotel clerk.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Simon Chapman
Director of Front Office
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great location, friendly staff all over; from check-in to concierge (very helpful and knowledgeable!) to bell man to bar and restaurant staff - you always feel welcome! A historic place with a warmth and charm to come back to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you very much for the great review. I will certainly share your comments with the team involved.

Been to InterContinental Chicago? Share your experiences!