“Unforgettable Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Chicago

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Chicago to your Saves list
InterContinental Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #68 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Florida
“Unforgettable Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The InterContinental Hotel Magnificent Mile made my engagement more memorable and romantic than my fiancé could have ever dreamed. The hotel staff was more than accommodating and professional; additionally they ensured that we had a great time away from the hotel and with the recommendations of the concierge, we were able to enjoy everything the Windy City had to offer. Simon the Director of the Front Office really helped make our engagement weekend spectacular. The room itself was absolutely fabulous, they even sent up a lovely bottle of champagne to celebrate. The other amenities are everything that should be expected of a hotel of this caliber. I highly recommend this hotel and I’m looking forward to my next stay in the near future.

Room Tip: The Historic Tower is where everyone needs to be when it comes to this hotel. The tower provides som...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Me and a couple of my partners headed to the the midwest for "taste of chicago" and were really glad we choose your location. Your rooms were great and Your staff is very professional. Kudos to Bret Concierge!! Great service

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was visiting Chicago for the first time and was initially going to stay at a different hotel but my mom said that i should stay at intercontinental chicago since its where she stays on business...and she loves it. I heeded her advise and i must say i was delighted... The location was ideal, the staff really friendly and helpful from Will the doorman to Trent at the front desk but i must mention my favorite thing was the amazing pool!!!! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My best friend was in town visiting and I decided to have a "staycation" weekend with her downtown. We chose InterContinental, and we absolutely loved our stay!

Some of my personal favorite aspects of the hotel would be the fitness room, the beautiful pool, the perfect Mag Mile location, the convenience of having a top Chicago restaurant/bar (MJ Steakhouse) AND a Starbucks right in the hotel lobby, and the gorgeous facilities in the historic building. I can't think of one negative thing to say about the hotel and our experience over the weekend.

Simon and Sean were very accommodating throughout our stay. :) We'll be back and I'll always recommend friends/family to stay there when coming in to Chicago.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed here while in town for a wedding -- NEVER AGAIN!!!

Yes it's true that it's great location and the facility is nice enough, and clean. However, we did NOT enjoy--
*The $57 a day they charge your for parking
*The $18 a night they charge you for internet access!!!
*The fact that our room was not ready by the guaranteed 3 pm check-in time - and when i called to ask about it - the woman on the phone stated (in a rude tone) that the room was still not ready and the people in it still had not checked out and there was absolutely nothing she could do!!! After I yelled at her and informed her I was traveling with 2 young children and we could wait no longer and asked what she was going to do to remedy this situation and accommodate me, she said she would look into it and call me back. 5 minutes later she called back and said our room was ready now! I hate when people only help you or do the right thing after you yell at them.
*Anything you want takes at least half an hour-- whether you call for room service, your car, the bellhop or an extra pillow. It all takes AT LEAST 30 minutes. Add that into your planning for your day!
*The room service food is terrible. Wilty salads, stale bread, flavorless soup. And a rude person taking your order over the phone!
*They have one of those annoying mini-bars where if you even move a drink 2 millimeters it's automatically charged to your room. I called down and told them I would be moving a bunch of drinks because I have young children and needed the refrigerator to store milk. The person I spoke to said that was fine and that she would make a note on my account so I was not charged for it. When I received my bill, of course it had ALL the drink charges on it. I did not enjoy having to wait in line to check out to dispute those charges.
*The service overall is very mixed and at the low end there is definitely lots of attitude and rudeness. One of those places where you really feel like some of the employees absolutely hate you before you've even said one word. I don't understand it -- if you hate customer service, why you do work at a hotel????
*The hallways are NOT air-conditioned. I have never experienced this at a supposed 4-Star Hotel. Like so many things here, the place is managed within an inch of it's life in terms of cost-cutting and trying to dig every dime they can out of their guests.

I left with a very unpleasant feeling and bad taste in my mouth. They are the opposite of customer-focused. It almost feels like they know they're in a great location, so they can treat their guests however they want!!! UGH. Who needs that?!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
InterContinental_CHI, Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and apologize. As we are deeply troubled to read about your experience. Please contact us so that we may learn the details of your stay, make it right and ensure your business in the future. W

Please contact Mr. Simon Chapman @ simon.chapman@ihg.com.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I cannot fault the folks working at the Intercontinental. They were great overall, and Guest Services was very responsive to things that needed attention, i.e., additional pillows and towels, etc. The gal at the front desk was very accomodating, and she graciously agreed to upgrade us to a jr. suite (with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, the extra space was a real plus). The gal who cleaned the room was terrific about going through the list of requests (i.e., laundry bags, additional cups, etc.) But the hotel, and the jr. suite we stayed in, were somewhat the worse for wear--the wall paper in the hallway was really chewed up; the sleeper sofa the kids slept on was really uncomfortable; a/c temp. control in the first room apparently didn't work; and we never did figure out what the light switch in the bedroom went to, since it did not serve to turn on or turn off lights. On the other hand, the location was great in terms of our 2 teenagers getting to the Navy Pier, shopping on Michigan Avenue, taking a boat ride, etc. Since the purpose of the trip was to celebrate by stepdaughter's 16th BD, I guess it was a resounding success--she had a blast, and I wasn't worried about the kids getting snatched off the street or lost. But I think the place needs some sprucing up overall. I also agree with some of the other reviewers that charging extra for internet is ridiculous.

Sonoma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel one night - great location, right by the Tribune Tower. The room was small, but clean and quiet. Starbucks is conveniently downstairs, on the bottom floor. The staff was friendly and helpful. I'd have to say that it was pretty pricey for the size of the room, but the location is what makes it worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to InterContinental Chicago? Share your experiences!