“Great value, very nice rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency McCormick Place

You added Hyatt Regency McCormick Place to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2233 South Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Chicago, IL 60616 (South Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 15%
Ranked #60 of 182 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Normal, Illinois
“Great value, very nice rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and another couple stayed here based on the great deal we found online. Very pleased when we got here. Recently renovated and some areas were still under construction and you could smell just how fresh the wallpaper was. Good location (not great compared to other downtown hotels) but only a few additional minutes in a cab to get you where you need to go. Location is perfect if your Chicago activities center around McCormick Place, a Bears game, or Shedd. Front desk staff was very good and staff at the hotel bar was super friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
LizJaquez, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Sara Z,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your 5 star experience with others. We hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My 2 children (ages 4 and 6) and I recently met my husband at this hotel to tag along at the end of a meeting he was attending. We were there for 3 nights. I'm writing this review because there may be other wives who upon hearing their husbands will be in Chicago for a week with a free hotel room, might think about packing up the kids and having a little vacation too.

Upon arriving, I noticed that there is still construction going on at the hotel, but besides the entrance being a temporary one, all of the work was going on outside, but inside, you can't hear anything.

The room (3021) was pretty spacious for being a simple hotel room and not a suite. The beds were comfortable, the view was fantastic (soldier field all the way to navy pier), there is an empty fridge (important when traveling with kids), and a bathtub/shower combo. There was an earlier review stating there were no kids channels on TV, but now there is Disney, Nick, and Cartoon Network. Those are better than nothing, but with small children, a bonus would have been Disney Jr and Nick Jr. The other thing I thought was odd is the lack of Pay Per View. I would have liked to put on a kids' movie in the evening a couple of nights.

As far as food, room service was great. They have a cute little kids menu with all healthy options. We ordered RS 3 times and here is the feedback: the sunbutter & jelly sandwich is made with sunflower seeds and my 6 year old didn't like it, but my 4 year old did. They have a mini cheese burger with fries available for $5.95 but it's not on the menu, you have to ask for it. Both my kids loved it. The berry smoothie was a big hit, but for $7 for 8oz (I split between the kids), it was too pricey. For breakfast one morning both kids had the cinnamon pancakes and did not like them- I tried them and they were very dry. Another thing not on the kids menu is a kids' OJ for $1.95- compared to the adult price, this was a good value. As for myself, I ordered the healthy build your own meal and for $21, this is an awesome deal. You can choose your protein, your sauce (on the side), a starch (I had the quinoa salad and it was yummy!), and a vegetable.

For eating in the hotel (besides RS), I stuck with the little gourmet coffee bar/snack bar. They have starbucks lattes etc, and a wide variety for breakfast such as croissants,muffins, yogurt parfaits, and fruit cups- all not too horribly priced and very kid friendly. They also serve hot dogs and other snacks like organic chips, crackers, even ice cream. Oh and you can purchase beer by the bottle and wine too.

I did get a babysitter for 2 nights. The hotel recommends 2 services and after a quick search on my iphone decided on American Childcare. I had a different girl each night because of the short notice, but they were both fabulous and the service is very professional.

Lastly, if are going to visit this hotel, don't forget the kids' swimsuits. They have a heated (well, about 75deg) pool, and although yes, it's a lap pool, there was never anyone swimming laps the 3 times we visited it. The whole thing is 4ft deep and despite the water not being that warm, both my kids had a great time. Oh, but watch out for the black prickly band around the pool edge. It's probably supposed to prevent slipping, but in practice, it scratched the pads of both my kids fingers on each hand. Kids hang on to pool edges when they play- it's just what they do. I meant to speak to the hotel manager before we left and show him my kids' hands, but in the end I didn't have time. So just a warning on that.

Lastly lastly, all of the staff we encountered were great. From the front desk to room service to house keeping to doormen, everyone was just really nice. Even though I think my kids were the only kids in the hotel, nobody was grumpy or intolerant- even when my son spilled his hot chocolate on the lobby rug.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the highest floor you can get that faces soldier field.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank waterbaby0928
Dear waterbaby0928,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay! We appreciate your sharing that our hotel is not just for conventioneers but a nice place for families as well, especially with our proximity to the museums and Soldier Field. I will be sure to have the scratchiness along the side of the pool you mentioned looked it. Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you back again in the near future!

Carrollton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a great location if you want to visit the sites (Museums, parks, etc.) Gabby, check-in was excellent in helping us with special locations near the hotel and breakfast and it was excellent. I would recommend this hotel for your stay in Chicago. Also, the rate was extremely good.

Room Tip: I was pleased with everything during my stay.
Green Features: I was [pleased to see the Recycyling containers for housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alice W
LizJaquez, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Alice W,

I'm so happy that you and your family enjoyed your visit from Georgia! I will make sure that Gabby's manager recognizes her for the great service she provided to you.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel has been recently remodeled. The room was comfortable and stylish. The only things I didn't care for were the lack of towel bars in the bath area and also the a/c is a little strange, although it funcitons well. It seems you HAVE to either have a/c or heat on.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
We were very pleased with this hotel.

Room Tip: The view is better on the higher floors, as usual.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lin101,

Thank you very much for your feedback and taking the time to share it! I will be sure to share your feedback with our renovation team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Bloomington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I used to consider this hotel only for the convenient access to McCormick Place Convention Center. However, lately I'm finding it to be a good value compared to the downtown hotels I've stayed at, especially when I've shopped their rates a bit. No, it's not within walking distance to the downtown attractions, but its an inexpensive cab or bus fare to most destinations in the city and the cost savings over the typical downtown hotel easily makes up for that. Personally, I don't care for all of the hassle involved with driving/parking in the city, so it's worth it to me to just pay for a taxi.

The hotel is very conveniently located off of north bound I-55. You exit off the interstate and you're basically right there, with minimal city driving involved - a good thing if you ask me. The property is currently undergoing a major renovation to modernize the rooms and facilities. I've stayed at this hotel a number of times, and was impressed with the newly remodeled rooms this time around - a definite improvement. You will, however, still notice a lot of construction going on, particularly in the parking areas. I asked about it and was told it would all be done by June. Hopefully, that's the case.

Overall, I've had very positive experiences here and would not hesitate to book again the next time I'm in Chicago.

Room Tip: Check the hotel website frequently to get the best rates
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
LizJaquez, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear IllinoisTravler89,

We appreciate your repeated business and we look forward to seeing you again! Thank you for sharing your expertise on our location and transportation options with the TripAdvisor community!

Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Staff makes the difference at this property. Price is high but most properties in Chicago are. The people who work this property are world class. Great service and attention to details. McCormick is a horrible place to have a show but the Hyatt makes it bearable.

Room Tip: Lakeside views are nice. Ask at check in
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear kenm323,

Customer service is extremely important to us, so I'm pleased to hear that our friendly staff is what you enjoy the most about our facility. We look forward to your next visit!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I am updating my review from October 2012. The refreshed rooms are very nice. No more shag carpet or pink vanities.the remodeled rooms have a nice modern look with quality material and furniture. New clean carpet in the rooms and hallways. The walls are still somewhat thin. i think the guy in the neighboring room had a bad burrito or something... i heard him all night. fortunately, i only heard him. Service was great. I was greeted by every staff member that I saw. I almost forgot it was Chicago...I will be back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Turbostang,

Thank you for returning to stay with us again and for taking the time to share. Many times we only hear when something has gone wrong, so we appreciate your taking the time to share about our renovation and the improvements you noticed over your previous stay. We look forward to seeing you again!