“Perfect Stay!!!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
crystal lake, illinois
“Perfect Stay!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

I had booked the room through name your own price, Priceline and got an awesome deal. I know the economy is down but this deal was a great one. I called after I made the reservation and requested a King room. Because on Priceline you really don’t know what your getting. You just know you got the room. Check in was smooth and the staff was very friendly. We got the King room we had requested. It was room 2401. The room was located on the end, so we had no problem with noise. Some people are commenting on the walls being paper thin. We heard no additional outside noise. The room was great. No complaints at all. Valet is 48 dollars a day but there is a parking garage right next to the hotel which has the standard 34 dollars for 18 to 24 hours, as im sure that is where your car is going anyway if you use the hotel. Taxi service was great; we had no problems getting one. Once we got back to the hotel after our evening out we went to the BIG BAR. It was crowded but we found a table no problem. Service there was good as well Server was very friendly. As far as drinks being expensive as some people have noted. It’s a hotel, in the middle of downtown Chicago. You’re not at the Holiday Inn in Madison Wisconsin people. Once back to the room we ordered some room service and it also came in a timely manner, and was very good. When it came time to check out the staff was great. Quick and efficient. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Carlos, CA, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Okay, the location is great. And I asked to be up high, so they put me on the 25th floor with a lake view. The staff was really nice. But I was disappointed in the hotel itself. My room was artsy and attractive, but the walls were extremely thin. I could hear normal conversations in the rooms on either side and also in the hallway quite loudly. In fact the entire hotel is very loud. Usually in a 4-star place there are options for quiet, like at least one classy upscale restaurant in which to have a fine meal. Not here. The finest on-site restaurant is the Chop House, which had a noisy crowd. The atrium has another restaurant, a bistro, and a bar, but the cavernous space makes everything sound like Disneyland. The only other small restaurant is Pronto Mama's, where the deli cases and fridges hum at a frighteningly high volume and the loud overhead music can't be turned down (I asked, the waiter was helpful but apparently the volume is fixed). So the meal was accompanied by Volare and Frank Sinatra blasting overhead. But then let's talk about the food. I ordered grilled salmon on a bed of pesto pasta. The pasta, instead of being lightly tossed with pesto was drenched in it, with cheese so thick the pasta glommed together, all swimming in an olive oil soup. The salmon was so coated in pepper that my mouth burned -- there was no warning on the menu that this dish would be spicy or "picante," plus it's pretty hard to mess up salmon -- but that's what they did. Note that they also nickle and dime you at this hotel with extra charges such as high-speed internet for the exhorbitant rate of $16 per day. If you want a room that's *visually* attractive but you don't mind paper thin walls and you plan to eat elsewhere, this hotel would be fine. But I wouldn't call it 4-star, and I don't think the price is worth what you get. Altogether I was disappointed in this property.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Extremely noisy, poor food, extra costs for everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I was looking for a hotel close to Michigan Avenue that was around $100. I was able to get a $89 rate through the Hyatt web site. The Big Bar was cool but the drinks were very expensive. I guess you are paying for the view. Our room was decorated nicely and clean but the walls are paper thin. I could hear conversations clearly outside our room. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Especially the concierge.
If I had remembered my earplugs, I would have given this hotel an above average rating. All in all the hotel was worth the $89 per night. One plus is the free trolley stops outside the hotel.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — walls were paper thin
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

This hotel is fine if your idea of service is a particularly nice Holiday Inn in the late 1970's. The only trouble is, they think they deserve 2008 rates.

The place is a huge mess architecturally, With a dated, ugly lobby that is either too hot or too cold, depending on Chicago's weather. The staff is friendly, but poorly managed: Apparently no one has ever instructed the housekeepers not to shout down the hall to each other, and a used room service tray sat in the hall across from my room, unattended and unlovely, for a day and a half, until I finally called Room Service and asked them to take it away

The "Big Bar" is an expensive, incredibly mediocre establishment where you can expect to wait 15 minutes with a dirty glass from a previous customer in front of you before you are approached by a bartender. The one bright spot is Stetsons: The resident steakhouse, which has a nice staff, and at least a bit of an idea of service.

Seriously, Hyatt is not doing themselves any favors by keeping their name on this thing. I'm sure it's a cash cow, as they have plenty of convention space here, and something like 2000 rooms, but you'd think Hyatt - with their corporate headquarters around the corner - would think twice about this blight on their brand.

Tear it down, rebuild it, and start over with a well-trained and well-managed staff.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

I stayed there for six nights and the only major problem I encountered was when they gave me a 4th floor room where the bathroom sink was broken. I called them and was put on hold for 20 minutes, then waited an hour for the service maintenance to come in. The maintenance said that it was going to take him a couple of hours to fix! When he said this, I packed my luggage and asked the reservation desk to give me another room --they knew I was not happy and didn't question my room change request. So I ended up on the 22nd floor and had a great view of the river.

Other than that, the rest of my stay was pretty good. The location couldn't have been better as the hotel property is in the heart of Chicago downtown, just a block away from the Magnificent Mile. Getting taxis were pretty easy as they lined up in front of the hotel almost all the time.

There were about three different conventions going on in the hotel during my stay, so every morning was a hustle and bustle --if you're looking for a serene atmosphere, this hotel is not what for you. There's also lines at the concierge most of the time so make time for that.

I had breakfast there for one morning and wasn't too impressed but I do love the fact that there is a Starbucks inside the hotel.

I wished they had free Wi-fi because I travel with my laptop all the time and had to pay for connectivity per day.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

We've stayed here before, so we knew what to expect. Great location if you're staying in the Loop and hitting Michigan Avenue. No issues at all with the hotel.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Got a great deal for a 500 square ft room on the 22nd floor for $95 through Orbitz. Would go back there is a second. They had a perfect location and great staff. ASked the concierge about a good sushi restaurant. He gave us directions and the name of his sister who worked there, who would take care of us.

Room was perfect to relax and sleep. I woke up at 930 saturday morning thinking it was still the middle of the night it was so dark and quiet in there.

We were out on the town most of the time so we didnt eat at our hotel, but friends told us they were very good.

Dont let negative reviews steer you away from here. They are 1 in a 100. Get a good rate, go to the Hyatt to sleep, but go enjoy Chicago instead of complaining about taxis and noise.

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — No pool, but wouldnt have had time to use it!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!