“Bucket List fulfilled” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chicago

You added Hyatt Regency Chicago to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Museum Package
Ranked #89 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ozark, Missouri
“Bucket List fulfilled”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago on 151 E Wacker Drive. It was a wonderful Hotel, I was there to celebrate my 70th birthday and to fulfill one of my bucket list dreams. From the Jr suite to the bed and breakfast buffet it could not have been a more perfect weekend. All of the staff were so friendly and helpful. The marketing coordinator had champagne, chocolate dipped strawberries, an almost sinful chocolate cake, snacks, and water when we got there, which was a very pleasant surprise. The next night the staff sent up some special evening snacks. This was all because there four of us, three of my daughters and myself all celebrating our birthdays in their Hotel. I had not problem with the elevator we never waited more than a minute or two for one. The only thing that was a problem, was not with the hotel or staff, it was with the guest in the room next to us. I guess the walls are thin and they kept us awake two nights talking and even tried to get in the door connecting our room. I suggest if you are a guest that you consider the others who are staying there, stay down stairs or away from the Hotel to party. It was locked so they were not successful. Security said that we should have called down and they would have came up to quite them down. All in all it was a great experience.

Room Tip: There was not swimming pool. Our Jr. suite was really large.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm thrilled to hear we were able to help make your birthday and bucket list trip a memorable one and you enjoyed all the extra treats and complimentary suite upgrade! We hope to be able to spend another weekend with you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oak Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

First off, I'm mostly angry at Hotwire. If they had been honest in their hotel description I never would have stayed here again. Yes, again. I've stayed here before for free and hated it. This property is geared toward large traveling groups and conventions/gatherings, and I would not recommend staying here if you have a choice. If you want a little pampering you definitely won't get it here. You're expected to check yourself in and out at electronic kiosks. There aren't any gluttonous cable stations (like E!, HGTV, Food Network or Comedy Central). You'll need to call for a robe (and there's a chance they'll forget and you'll end up waiting for over an hour like I did). The in-room coffee comes with powdered non-dairy creamer and sugar substitute--no real cream or sugar. But you can purchase an overpriced Starbucks coffee in the lobby--where a tall costs $2.50 and a venti is well over $3. I don't know how this property has a 4 star rating.

I live in the Chicago area and regularly book hotels for stay-cations and I vow to never set foot in this hotel again. I booked this as a mystery hotel that was labelled 4 stars with 95% recommended rating. 4 star is a stretch for this property and there is no way in hell that the Hyatt Regency has a 95% recommended rating. Look at the top of this page. Look at any other travel site. Ask any Chicagoan and they'll groan. The lobby feels like an airport terminal--down to the bar, seating area, crazy crowds, overpriced Starbucks and self check-in.

I would prefer to be leave this on Hotwire, but for some reason the Hyatt Regency is not listed on their website. I wonder why...

Room Tip: They will offer a room with a view for an extra $20. I declined.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

A hotel that is in the heart of downtown with everything in downtown just a short stroll away. This is not a small boutique hotel; it has two towers. The quieter tower is the east tower. Main facilities eg restaurants and bar are in the lobby of west tower. Reception staff were great at a room change as first room was top floor by the lift. As I was on business I needed the sleep do requested a room change. They upgraded me free of charge. Didn't feel I waited a long time for the lifts as other reviews have reported.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback for Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! It's so great to hear you found our downtown Chicago location to be central and in the heart of downtown Chicago. We hope to see you again very soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a four day conference. Lots of conference space. Comfortable. Easy to find the rooms. No free wifi which was annoying however. Food at the conference was just ok. Lots of heavy carbs for breakfast and lunch with little protein. Not necessarily the hotel's fault, I know. Most everything was good, but I wouldn't say great.

I got food at the market in the east building quite. Good variety of foods including salads, yogurts, fresh fruit, healthy snacks. Open 24/7 so was great for late night cravings.

Location was great for walking around between meetings. Lots of restaurants and stores. If you are up for it, Michigan Ave and it's high end shops are just blocks away. Not too far to carry back your shopping bags. Felt safe enough to venture out on my own during the day.

Taxi from the airport was about $40 each Way plus tip. About a 30-45 min trip. They have a shuttle available for much less but I didn't want to take the extra time for travel.

Rooms were nice. Bathroom was roomy but little counter space. Ok for just me in the room though. There are two towers. The east tower is the main tower with the food, bars, concierge, check-in, fitness room. I stayed in the west tower and it really wasn't a big deal for me to hoof it over each time I needed something. But if walking is an issue, I would certainly request a room in the east building.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great feedback! I'm thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy your most recent stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and you were able to take advantage of our healthy options at 24hr Market Chicago. We hope to have you back again soon!
Columbia, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was on a business trip. This hotel was nice. The people was nice. But I feel that the hotel was too expensive. I dont think this is a good hotel for long term business travel. For such a great hotel, why no fridge in the room or microwaves, You aren't given any other options but the restaurants in the hotel. The restaurants in the hotels were very expensive. I think they should reconsider and have micro and fridge in all rooms b/c sometimes business travelers need to have other options and don't want to spend all their money in those expensive restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Randy T, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We now have complimentary microwaves available for public use in Market Chicago and we also have mini fridges available for a nominal delivery fee. We appreciate your feedback!
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel frequently, and are always impressed with the Staff. We've never come up with a request that wasn't honored. Every hotel has times when they are swamped by new arrivals, but the Hyatt is always well staff, and is able to deal with rushes professionally and efficiently.
The location is convenient to Lake Shore Drive, North Michigan Avenue, and Millennium Park.
If there is a problem, its that they Hyatt, like so many hotels, has replaced their shower heads with misters. What was once a 5 minute shower, has become a 15 minute shower, just to remove the soap and shampoo. I'd suggest taking a spare shower head to use as a replacement.

Room Tip: The rooms in the West tower have been updated recently
Green Features: as mentioned before, they go too far trying to shave water in the shower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words regarding your experiences at Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm glad you have been able to have a pleasant experience each time you've visited us and you find our downtown Chicago location to be convenient to Lake Shore Drive, North Michigan Avenue, and Millennium Park. We look forward to the next time!
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was a really great hotel. I only got to stay here for one night, but as my travels take me back to Chicago I will certainly be staying there again. Some positive feedback:

Great location, lots of business and sights to see close by, as well as eating and entertainment
The common spaces of the hotel are great! The downstairs lobby bar, the Big Bar, the other restaurants...really well done and welcome for a traveler not wanting to venture out. A lot of variety
The room was typical Hyatt Regency standards with a comfortable king bed and well appointed
The fitness center was spacious and well equipped (although hard to find)

Some negatives
This is the second Hyatt I've stayed at recently where the internet connection is practically UNUSABLE. Unacceptable for business travel
Get more HD channels please...typical in Hyatts

I really liked the hotel and the prices I received were very reasonable. Looking forward to my next trip there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback for our downtown Chicago hotel and are glad you were able to enjoy our new restaurant concepts and the bigger and better BIG Bar. We'll see you the next time you're in Chicago!

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!