“It's just a Hyatt” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chicago

You added Hyatt Regency Chicago to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Museum Package
Ranked #89 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus, OH
“It's just a Hyatt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

The Hyatt is the Hyatt. I have been staying there on and off for more than 20 years. The hotel is well run, clean and well managed, but it's nothing special when compared to other upscale hotels in Chicago.

I know. I commute to Chicago every week and have done so for the past year and a half. I've stayed in dozens of different hotels.

My room was a queen and very small. The staff person who helped me use the kiosk check-in devices knew that and mentionned it to me as soon as he saw the room number. "Yes, it's not the king you were hoping for and the room is smaller than most, it does have a great view."

The view was decent - a partial shot of the Chicago River and many other high rises - but not great.

I guess I shouldn't complain though. I booked through Hotwire and got a very reasonable price, so it's not unexpected that I wouldn't get an "A" room. On other trips I received rooms that were quite spectacular. I guess it depends on the occupancy.

The room was comfortable and clean. Only a stand up shower, so if you are a bath person, make sure you ask when you check in.

I do not eat or drink in any of the restaurants at the Hyatt. They are very expensive and the food is only average at best. There are many close by restaurants that guests can walk to that have better food and are more reasonably priced.

I was only there for one night this trip so I didn't use any of the other ammenities.

The new check in kiosks actually took longer to use then stepping up to the counter, but that could have been "user error". I'm guessing when the lines are long the kiosks will be a welcome opportunity to check in, and as I get more proficcient, the processing will be faster. As mentionned, there was a staff person there assisting. he was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Two pet peeves about this hotel - no free wifi and they won't let you use your frequent stay number if you book through Hotwire. I get why they do that and don't expect credit for a discounted room, but at least by using your number, you could get a free paper in the morning and at least be recognized as a Gold Passport member. I always mention that to management but one person isn't going to change their business model.

Overall the hotel was fine and I would recommend it if you can get a good rate. It's close to Mag Mile, nightlife and restaurants and shopping. Also convenienet to many modes of transportation - the "L" both airports, and Metra trains to the 'Burbs, as an example.

• Liked — Friendly, knowledgeable staff.
  • Disliked — Small room. Did not get the king I hoped for.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (948)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bloomingburg, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel many years ago, and I must say not too much has changed. One exception though, the hotel has excellent service which can make up for it's average design and looks. The hotel has several good restaurants with a great breakfast buffet and an awesome gym.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago for 5 nights in May 2008 while attending a conference. I had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the hotel atrium, facing E. Wacker. The room included a sofa and a comfortable chair as well as a desk chair. The bed was comfortable. Each room has a plasma TV (~42"). Each room has an iPod dock. The room was a very nice size, as was the bathroom.

The hotel is in a very good location; within walking distance to shopping, museums, and restaurants.

I tend to favor Hyatts, and overall, I was very pleased with my stay.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

The room was nicely remodeled with a plasma tv etc. The bathroom was smallish and had no exhaust fan of any kind making it a steambath when taking a shower. The toilet didn't flush properly. The large glass ceiling lobby, restaurant, and bar area was very pleasant except for the fact the air conditioning was not able to keep it cool. The bar area had to be pushing 90 degrees on a sunny day! The drinks were the most overpriced I have ever encountered! Total ripoff. The restaurant prices were not too bad if you order from the menu. The breakfast buffet was way overpriced for the quality offered. The hotel staff was nice. I rode Amtrak to Chicago to avoid the ripoff parking fees of nearly $50.00 a day. All in all I would think there are better hotels for the money in Chicago.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — overpriced parking and bar drinks
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

This is a conference hotel primarily. The property is huge, so it's easy to get lost. At $48 per night parking, it's far better to take public transportation or even taxis to get around town. I love Chicago, and the hotel's location was good for walking and shopping. However, you can get around town fairly easily without having to shell out hundreds of dollars per night, plus all the overpriced extras at this hotel. The hotel has a vibrant profit center from its conference facilities, so unless you're here for a conference, it's not worth the money to stay here.

• Liked — Location was nice.
  • Disliked — Everything costs money, lots of it!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

A very pleasant hotel, but sheesh, the prices!

$48 a day to park!!!

$5 a day to use the room safe.

$13.61 a day to use the internet.

$25 a day to use the mini-fridge (which I needed to keep meds cold)

Exorbitant room service prices.

And so on, and so on.

Stayed April 2008
rodetripper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed here on Saturday night, the beginning of the National Restaurant Association convention, which brings 74,000 people to Chicago. We had booked for two people on Priceline, and I know from previous stays that some Hyatt Regencys won't put rollaways into some of their rooms. We solved the problem by using 1-800-CHECKIN. I think you may have to join their free Passport Club to use this service. You can call this number the day of your stay, any time, and get your room blocked out for you on the phone at that time. The woman on the phone assured me that this would get me a better room that using the front desk. They put us in a room with a pullout sofa, in the East Tower with a beautiful view of the Park. The room was very clean and comfortable, but the noise in the hall is all too clearly audible. I actually heard the person dropping the morning newspapers in front of doors. Alas, this did not mean he was in front of my door. We were on a road trip and had a fan, but without it, it would have been a very noisy night, as people in the hall and the above mentioned staffer were clearly audible, even above the fan. The staff is incredibly polite and helpful, just who I would want to have if I had a problem. Park elsewhere - the garage was $48 a night.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!