“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed for one night on a Friday. Arrived earlier than check in time, however the front desk woman was kind enough to check us in and ensure that we had a king size bed for my tall boyfriend. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, and the location was great! We did priceline.com and was able to get a room for a very good price, try that!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! I'm thrilled to hear we able to accommodate your early arrival and you found our location to be great. Come back to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Korean first
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt during a conference in June.

I was able to do web check-in on my cab ride in from O'Hare and simply picked up my key at one of the kiosks. I scored an end room in the East Tower which had a spectacular view of the Chicago River (2059).

There were 6 elevators for the West Tower, and while I sometimes had to wait for a car, it was never more than a minute.

The room was a decent size because it was a corner room. There was a large work space and a queen size bed. It would have been a bit cramped for 2 people. The bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was a good size with a tub/shower combo. The maid service was exceptional - always early in the morning, which allowed me to use the room in the afternoon to make some calls during breaks in the conference. I do dislike the mini-bars; I'd much rather have an empty fridge that I could fill with my own drinks.

The conference facilities are deep downstairs. They could use a few more public restrooms in these areas.

The fitness facility was one of the nicest I've seen. It was open 24/7, which is great for me (one morning I had a very early meeting). There were over a dozen ellipticals, 3 bikes, and about 10 treadmills, along with free weights and weight equipment. There were always plenty of headphones, towels, wipes, and water. The fitness room is on the first floor below the lobby.

We did eat at the main lobby grill for lunch - it is pricey, but the food was pretty good, as was the service. I had the corned beef sandwich which was tasty. I also picked up a bagel and fruit cups from the market cafe on two mornings. The service was quick and the food was fresh.

The concierge (Tina) was very helpful setting up dinner reservations at Epic. I highly recommend Epic for a business dinner - great service and creative food (an avacado cocktail - shear genius).

The lobby always had staff available if I had questions. There is an ATM on the 2nd floor near the check-in counters.

This hotel is probably not for everybody, but for the tired conventioneer, it was exceptional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great feedback! I'm so glad you had such an enjoyable experience at our downtown Chicago hotel and found our staff and facilities to be ideal. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!
bloomington, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

From the time we checked in to this hotel to the time we loaded our bags to leave, I was amazed that a Hotel this size in downtown Chicago could provide such great service. Every employee we encountered was pleasant and helpful. Front desk was very well staffed and if you stand around with a quizzical look on your face, an employee will immediately ask if you need help. We had a very adequate room....my only disappointment was a very crappy TV...big screen, but no HD and the picture on this was very grainy. All in all a great two day stay in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I 'm so glad to hear our staff was more than accommodating. We hope to be your choice again the next time you visit Chicago!
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed for a few nights while at Chicago for American Diabetes Association Convention. Amazingly huge property. The check in counters are located upstairs. We both were carrying huge bags and the security guided my wife and me to the hidden elevators rather than going by the escalators. Very quick, friendly and professional attitudes. Rooms are not that spacious like Indian star hotels, but clean and cozy. There were two separate king sized beds and I enquired and got the reply that the rates are same. Breakfast buffet offers in addition a huge choice of fruits and vegetables. Obtaining Hyatt gold passport is easy with the help of computers and printers at reception area. We took print outs of our boarding passes; upto 4 black and white print outs are free and credit card was not charged. The millennium park is just 10-15 mts walking distance.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at this magnificent property in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake with the breathtaking views of water, boats and bridges
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during the 2013 American Diabetes Association Convention and for joining our rewarding Gold Passport program! I'm so glad your enjoyed your trip and were able to experience our newly-renovated hotel. We hope you choose us again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!
San Luis Obispo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Chicago is the perfect place to stay while in Chicago. The check-in staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room with the city/river view was breathtaking! We stayed two nights and loved every minute!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room on the west tower with a city/river view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments! I'm thrilled to hear you loved your two-night stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and found the views of Lake Michigan and the Chicago River to be breathtaking. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here while attending a conference. The hotel is nice with a huge lobby, nice rooms, friendly staff, etc. However, the nicest thing I enjoyed was simply the hotel's location. It is on the Chicago River and is a short walk to the Magnificent Mile, the Northwestern Law School, Lake Michigan, and the downtown loop. The location made it real easy to take in a great walk along Michigan Avenue and there is a Gino's East Pizza about 6 blocks away (gotta have deep dish pizza if you're in Chicago!).

The hotel lobby store is expensive as is everything in the hotel (although it is downtown Chicago...). The conference facilities are nice and they have a lot more room than I anticipated. I never ate at the hotel as there are just too many choices in the area to be eating hotel food.

I noted this in a prior review, but this is NOT a hotel I'd stay at if there were not a conference. It's expensive, huge, and simply built for conferences and not much else in my mind. Everything is setup for that and they do a good job. However, it you were there for vacation or even a business meeting, it just wouldn't be comfortable (at least to me - the place is HUGE!).

On a side note, if I had to do everything over again, I probably would stay at a different hotel in a nice spot and just walk over to the conference. Don't get me wrong - the Hyatt is nice, but it's just a big ole conference hotel and little character...

Stayed June 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your conference this June! I'm glad you found our downtown Chicago location to be perfect near the Magnificent Mile, Chicago River and Lake Michigan. We hope to see you back again!
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wonderful hotel if you are on business, charging everything to a company expense report! We liked the breakfast and location. Comfortable rooms and great staff...but not family friendly. THERE'S NO POOL!!!

Room Tip: River view worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments! We are glad you enjoyed our breakfast options and found our downtown Chicago hotel location to be ideal. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!