“Good and bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chicago

You added Hyatt Regency Chicago to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 15%
Ranked #93 of 183 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel is okay but overpriced. The staff was wonderful especially in the restaurant (American Kitchen I believe it was called). The market was way overpriced. It was nice have the little mall nearby though and the prices there were better for food.

But the room itself wasn't very nice. The mini-bar was packed with junk and you couldn't even put your own things in the fridge. And I had no clue what the prices were on those items so I didn't use them. And the internet was very expensive, plus they made you pay again for the conference internet so that was double the price. That's what I don't get about Hyatt as a chain. It's more expensive and they make you pay for every little thing. I was stuck there because of a conference and a not rich patron so having to pay for every little thing was annoying. Other chains like Homewood are a much better deal because you get everything included in one price plus meals. Plus I've been to better Hyatt hotels. I didn't even see any good "luxury" options while I was there.

The staff was outstanding but otherwise, it was not a very good hotel for the money.

Green Features: They had an ice machine that sounded like it was wasting a lot of water. I didn't get the impression this hotel was very environmental in practice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt for a conference and extended my stay to spend more time enjoying Chicago. This is a perfect location, close to everything. Walked to Art Institute one day. Lots of shopping and dining close by. And, the lobby bar, the Big Bar, the market, the steak restaurant, and the lobby restaurant - locally sourced food- were all very good. I usually try to avoid the hotel restaurants, but these were all good choices. The room was comfortably sized and the beds were great. Staff everywhere were really helpful and friendly. Our minibar was jammed up by the previous occupants and it took a few calls before someone came to fix it, but when they did we were comped some snacks. The only issues I had with the room were lack of drawer space and not any counter space in the bathroom. With two women sharing the room, we were keeping toiletries on a lower shelf (where towels were stored) and on the floor.

Room Tip: I didn't do it, but it might be worth it to pay for river view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
We're so glad you were able to enjoy our new dining options during your stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and found our staff to be really helpful and friendly. We hope to host you again very soon!
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for conference. From moment I walked in the staff was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the great on site fitness center and Big Bar. Loved the place and would stay again. Conference facilities were great too!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We're glad you were able to enjoy our 24hr StayFit fitness center and the newly remodeled BIG Bar. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Lansing, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Have stayed at the Chicago Hyatt multiple times in the past and have always been pleased with my stay. The location is excellent for touring the city. Very close to shopping and restaurants (although i'd stay away from the Houlihans) and access to the 'L' is just a few blocks away.

The staff is very friendly, and always willing to give directions, suggestions, etc.

This is a large hotel so the lobby area can get crowded. This doesn't bother me - but it might some. On the up side, since it is a large hotel - it's usually fairly easy to get a good deal thru one of the discount websites.

There is no free wifi but that tends to be the case in large chain hotels in big cities. I never understand why you can get free wifi in super 8's everywhere but the larger more expensive hyatts, marriotts, etc still charge for it.

Overall if you're looking for convenient home base for the heart of chicago, you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We're glad you enjoyed your most recent stay at our downtown Chicago hotel. It's great to hear you found our location to be ideal and our staff to be friendly and helpful. We hope you stay with us again the next time you visit the Windy City!
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was looking for a great value in an awesome location. This hotel fit the bill. I have stayed here before and it is consistently solid.

Inspired: staff was outstanding

Pro: location, views, lobby, bars, can walk to everything, water taxi across bridge

Con: room was OK - but not special

Return: yes I will

Found: via Priceline

Room Tip: Higher floors for best views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
We appreciate your feedback for Hyatt Regency Chicago! We're so glad to hear you found our staff to be outstanding and enjoyed our downtown Chicago location. We hope to host you again the next time you're in the Windy City!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the restaurants bars and shops .. just a walk away to be able to sit next to the river with a nice beer after a tiring day.
the staff is courteous and facilities are good.
The only thing strange for me was that one had to go to the first floor for check in .. along with all the luggage on an elevator.

Would definitely go again if travelling this way

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad to hear you found our location and service to be great. We'd be happy to host you again during your next visit to Chicago!
South Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago while my husband attended a conference. The hotel staff were wonderfully attentive, friendly, and just plain nice. When we checked in, though, our room was quite dusty. There were no king rooms available, so we got a room with two queen beds and a partial view. The bases of the beds had a thick layer of dust around the edge. When we opened one of the drawers in the nightstand, it had a thick layer of dust inside.
Storage was limited and we were tripping over our things for most of our stay.
There were plenty of outlets for charging devices.
The bathroom was attractive, but the bathroom lighting was not practical and the room was quite dark. The magnification mirror was fixed to the wall and was at an uncomfortably low height for me so I couldn't use it.
The hotel charges for wifi, which I find ridiculous anywhere. The wifi can then be used in guest rooms, public areas, and restaurants within the hotel. However, if you're in the meeting room areas, you'll have to cough up an extra $20/day over the regular wifi charges for wifi in those areas. On one occasion I thought I was in a public area, but it turned out I was in a "meeting room" area, so I was out of luck until I moved.
The elevators here were painfully slow.
The gym had one upright bike, two recumbents, and a slew of treadmills and ellipticals. Either get there early or go in the afternoon, or there will be a line. It was very busy. There is no area for stretching.
The location was great. If you're staying here and looking for a quick, cheap snack or breakfast, head over to the little market on Stetson between the towers of the Hyatt.
I probably would not stay here again unless it was for a conference. Too many other options.

Room Tip: Try to get a room far from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple