“Great location, nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #75 of 167 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great location, nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency on a recent business trip, while I was attending a conference that was going on in the hotel's convention center. The beds were comfortable, the rooms modern and nicely furnished, and the water pressure in the shower surprisingly good. There is a market downstairs that is open for literally 24 hours and offers drinks, snacks, sandwiches and salads, etc - albeit at a premium price. I decided the convenience was worth it and became a regular! The market serves Starbucks drinks and Starbucks oatmeal in the morning - a similar bowl of oatmeal in the hotel restaurant cost double the price.

My room (3128) had a PHENOMENAL view looking over the Chicago River, right at the Wrigley and Tribune buildings. Other guests I spoke with weren't so lucky - I'd try to request anything on an upper floor and in the "20's" range of room numbers.

The only complaint I have is the craziness resulting from trying to navigate around their current renovations - I was lost at least 4 times and it was a major topic of conversation at the conference. Some signage would really help out here, Hyatt - and changing your elevator signage from "blue/bronze/green" to floor numbers wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Pick up a map of the hotel at the front desk, memorize your most frequent routes, and don't try to stray from them! Once the renovations are done this complaint won't matter anymore.

The hotel is set on Wacker and Michigan, which is an ideal location - took me about ten minutes to walk to the Art Institute through Millennium Park and it wouldn't be more than a twenty or twenty-five minute walk (or cheap cab ride) to any of the major attractions in downtown Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the Chicago River, great views!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you found our downtown Chicago hotel location to be ideal and enjoyed the phenomenal view from your 31st floor guest room. Our renovations will be complete in early April, we hope you can come back to see all the changes!

3,500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very large and it's size is working against guest experience. The west tower is undergoing renovation (the lobby is normally here) and it is now across the street in the east tower. The rooms are confusing to find since there are so many elevators to choose from and the names for the lower floors are not numbers. The other aspects of this hotel are mixed. The rooms are large but the standard room with two beds has fairly small beds. The room was dusty behind one of the chairs on the carpet. Also, the elevators seemed slow to get to the floor and crowded. Otherwise, the recently renovated rooms are modern and have a fairly good view. The location is excellent and is in close proximity to attractions in the Loop.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great location. Friendly staff. We did have a noise incident and called the front desk and they sent security to take care of it immediately. Within ten minutes, everything was back to nice and quiet. Only complaint I would have is the knowledge of the staff helping outside. We were looking for a pizza place that was literally less than a half a mile away from the hotel and we had to ask three people before being told to ask the gentleman that hails the taxis ... stating to "be careful." If you're worried for my safety, by all means please go out and ask the gentleman standing in the street yourself. Overall a great stay though. Will stay again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you were able to enjoy our downtown Chicago hotel and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We hope to host you again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the Hyatt Regency and even though there was some chaos with the lobby renovation, it was a great stay.

The location can't be beat! Walking distance from Millenium Park, Magnificent Mile Shopping, and even the Field Museum if you're adventurous enough. ( my husband and I walked there and cabbed back)

We were initially shown to a queen room when we'd actually booked a king- but a quick call to the front desk remedied that and they moved us to the appropriate room.

They've turned the sky walk between towers into the interim hotel bar while that's being renovated. Thought that was a pretty great idea!

Overall I've always been pleased with the Hyatt and will likely stay again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your feedback and are glad you were able to enjoy our downtown Chicago hotel. Our renovations will be complete in early April, we hope you can come back to see all of the changes!
michael30309
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As an FYI, this seems to be a favorite for Priceline's name your price tool, since I have now been placed at this hotel 3 times.

The lobby is closed and there were no signs to direct guests to the west tower for check in--so i wandered aimlessly around the property. Check in was a bit chaotic but surprisingly quick and friendly. I received a newly renovated room (1666), which was sterile but nice--two chairs, a decent bed, updated bathroom, decent tv etc. I could hear my neighbors in the bathroom but not bedroom, so that was a huge plus. One other positive to mention--although the fitness center reeked of curry, the equipment was nice and on the newer side. Just be sure to go at an off peak hour since it can become very crowded.

There are two main drawbacks to this hotel: 1. The elevators are packed and not programmed to maximize efficiency. Being on the 16th floor, each time I ventured downstairs I was forced to wait for 6 or 7 elevators to finally find room to squeeze onto one. This happened during the evening and especially in the morning, so be sure to give yourself 10-20 min to make it downstairs...or stay on an upper floor to get on the elevator before it fills up an then stops at every other floor (super annoying).
2. Most of the staff were helpful and friendly but some needed to be reevaluated by mgt. For example, when I dropped of my bags for temporary storage, the attendant was insisting on a tip (I only tip when picking up my bags). This was obnoxious. In addition, when I picked up my bags, I had to walk through the room to identify my bag. The outside bellmen were also somewhat pointless--not once did I get a door held for me entering or exiting the hotel (even with luggage).

This isn't a terrible hotel and is really trying to improve. The real drawback is its massive size and inconsistency. The location is great, but at this point I wouldn't stay here again unless the price was well less than $100 per night.

• Stayed March 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location; within walking distance to shopping, Art Institute and many places to eat. I think the lobby will improve when the renovation is done. Most employees were very helpful. Do not let them give you a "queen" room. It is half the size of a regular room. They should charge less for that one. They did provide a change to a regular double beds room when the change was requested. The room was quiet. The bed was comfortable. Sure wish free internet was provided. Nothing special except the location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you were able to enjoy our downtown Chicago hotel and found our location to be ideal. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Metamora, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here twice now. I chose to stay here the second time because of the convenience of being near the river for St. Patrick's weekend and near the parade. I did not return because I "loved" the hotel. The rooms are average with a lot of brown/neutral tones. Kind of blah I guess. No storage/counter space in the bathroom which I found rather annoying. The room did not feel dirty though. We brought our left over pizza back with us but discovered there was not a fridge to store food but a fridge stocked with items for purchase. If I had known that I would have given my leftovers to one of the homeless men on our walk back instead of throwing it away. The lobby is crowded but I checked in on the kiosk and received my key there. However, after taking the elevator up to the 5th floor we were unable to find our room. The hotel is quite confusing. We had to go back down to the lobby with all of our luggage and go to the desk to learn that we our room was in the other tower. So the kiosk did not save me any time. A map should appear on the screen or directions on how to get to your room. We had to get off on level 2, cross an enclosed bridge and then take another set of elevators to the 5th floor. There is no pool here. There should be an affiliated pool to use for the prices here. It is a perk, especially for children. Hotel parking is very expensive ($52) per night with a long wait to retrieve your car (15-20 minutes). It was too cold out to utilize a nearby parking garage for a lower rate. So, overall it's an average place with a lot of confusion and inconvenience. I don't see myself returning to this particular hotel.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!