“EXCELLENT - except for one thing....” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #81 of 172 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“EXCELLENT - except for one thing....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

A friend reserved these rooms in advance for a GREAT price (prices went up massively once Valentine weekend hit, the Hockey tournaments and Car show). They are updating their lobby and had a temporary lobby, but I was impressed - really in and out of reservation within minutes (even with having to contact our friend for verification since we arrived before them). Front desk personnel were very friendly, funny and helpful. The room was excellent - clean, up-to-date furnishings.....the problem, which I find to be a big one. I am the mother of 3 children (who were not traveling with us) and they have a mini-frig with a sensor and a snack area that just sits next to the tv that is on a sensor as well...we removed items in the frig (against their recommendation for "health reasons" - whatever) and put in our own beverages purchase right around the corner (much cheaper)...but because I had two of my own beers the frig total them to charge us the items that were in those spaces originally (a bottle water and Red Bull = $14 - crazy)....we ended up drinking both so that was fine, but husband picked up a can of pretzels to see what they were like and another snack item - replaced both, but were charged immediately - although not eaten - can you imagine this with young kids in the room, you'd be charged left and right for all that...they adjusted our bill but imagine they have to do this several hundreds of times a day with constant issues...think it's best for the maid to check and relay ACTUAL charges. Overall, great though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our downtown Chicago hotel. We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Westfield, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Found this downtown hotel for $99. Booked immediately. While booking, you are encouraged to "pick" upgrades that "if available" will be available at check in. Cool. Chose a few. The day before we came, we received an email that the entire block was closed due to a helicopter having to land on the roof to do some maintenance or repair a part. Ok - change of plans - guess that "early check in" option won't be utilized. Oh look - I've already been charged. Sent an email back to the person that informed us that the block was closed and received a very nice email back - she would let us do early check in and upgrade us to a room with a view of the lake as well - all for no extra charge. Uhhhhh - - the total at check out for my $99 room? $211.12 Now - I did purchase a Pepsi for $5 for the mini bar, so I was expecting that. So - I'm off to the front desk to dispute charges. Oh yeah - they forgot to tell you when checking in that parking is $52 - - but my "special rate" gave me 50% off that. Ok - $26 overnight parking is ok. I can deal with that. Room was nice - by NO means an upgrade. Tight quarters. Only 3 towels. Wall paper peeling. You can see a corner of the canal is you strain out the window. I guess that constitutes "water view". The options that were requested at check in were charged immediately. They were not credited when I went to front desk. I'm told once I go home and can get the email they will be. We'll see. Not holding my breath. Came down to the business center to print off some tickets to the aquarium - there's a $7 charge for 10 minutes and 75 cent per page printing fee. Just so you know - I finished printing my tickets 5 minutes ago, but since I'd already paid for the time - I'm using the extra to write this review. Location ok. Lobby severely crowded and undermanaged. Valet area a hot mess. Bed was comfortable. All said and done - don't rent expecting a $99 + tax rate. It will cost much, MUCH more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Todd C, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I'm sorry to learn of your frustrations with the upgrade packages not being to your liking or refunded promptly. Please reach out to me at hrcemarketing@hyatt.com to share more information with me and to see if we can make sure your credits are adjusted on your bill. I look forward to hearing from you.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for a dance convention. The hotel is undergoing renovation of the main lobby so I was apprehensive. However our experience was quite good. We were received well in the parking area and our bell man stayed with us through check in (no line) and all the way up to our room. It was a bit awkward as we had to cross from the east to the west side but really did not take long. I had called ahead for early check in and had no problems with that. Our room was in the East tower (which is the tower the convention rooms are in). Room was pleasant with a nice view north towards downtown. The elevator service was quite fast. (Last years convention hotel had constant lines for the elevators) There was a new market/quick service food area that had a very nice (although at Chicago prices) selection of food. We had room service one night, pizza and a cobb salad. Excellent for room service. I also ordered out from Stetsons, sushi. Good but expensive. Finally the bell service was very helpful. We had lots of luggage, props, trailers etc and every single person went out of their way to help us. I was very thankful for the excellent service.

Room Tip: If you are at a convention I think the East tower is best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City. Our renovations will be complete in early April, so you will have to come check out our other hotel restaurants! Cheers!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It was a great stay, even with construction. All the staff are very helpful and attentive. The rooms are nice with great views and the location cant be beat. There was an issue with payment when i checked in and it was quickly and efficiently taken care of.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you were able to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our downtown Chicago location again soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the 7th trip to Chicago my husband and I have taken to Chicago, and we have stayed at different hotels each time (Drake, Palmer House, Conrad, Sax, Embassy Suites, La Quinta). Of all the locations, this was our least favorite. It is fairly close to things, but there is VERY LITTLE in the area immediately surrounding the hotel. I like to walk out my door and see lots of shops and restaurants but the area surrouding this hotel is dead, especially at night. Like I said, it's not far, maybe a 10 minute walk from some things, but certainly not my favorite location.

There were a lot of oddities surrounding our visit that led to the just average rating. Check-in was a mess. I realize they are renovating, but they should have clearer signs and people directing us where to go. Then, it was a bit of a walk to our room in a different tower, and to get there we had to pass through a hallway bar that was FILLED with screaming kids that were in the way of us and our luggage. Maybe that's more of the parents' fault than the hotel, but this hotel does attract large conferences due to it's large size.

We had a renovated room and it was okay. There was a bag of gross takeout in one of the cupboards that hadn't been removed from the previous guest. The pillows were extremely comfortable, but the bed was just so-so. The layout of our room (2457) was clearly not planned well. The lounge chairs faced the desk and weren't positioned well for watching TV. You also couldn't watch TV laying in bed because the TV was parallel to the bed. The only way to watch TV was to sit on the side of the bed. The layout was strange to me

PARKING. I read a previous review that said parking was $26 at 303 Wacker. That was very helpful since parking at the hotel was $52/day. I just wanted to clarify for others that $26 is the rate for up to 12 hours, and $32 is the rate for 12-24 hours. It's still a great deal and it is so close to the hotel (4 min walk). I highly recommend parking there. It's a tight underground lot so be prepared for that.

We got a GREAT deal on this hotel by bidding through priceline. For the price, I was satisfied with our stay, but if I had the choice of hotel I would not book this one again. If I won this hotel again on Priceline for a good price, I wouldn't be upset, I just wouldn't pay full price for this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Timing is everything and as I checked in they were just about to clsoe off many of the public areas in the main hotel for a make-over. however, I did get an excellent updated room in the tower, with great river views.

The new look rooms are very effective. the desk is situated behind the bed head, as the bed itself is moved almost to the middle of the room with its "back" to the view. This way you can see the TV from either the bed or the desk, work without looking out of the window, or sit at one of the chairs and catch the view. Hard to describe, but for me it really worked well, beacuse when you are in bed, you cannot see the desk and all your work stuff laid out which makes for good feng shui I am sure.

There are elegant touches with good lighting and high quality furniture and cabinets. The bathroom has a modern sink and a good power shower, though it's still a combined bath and shower job.

I can't comment on the restaurants or bars as these were being ripped out as the week went on, and the temporary rooms were rather soulless.

Location is very good with easy 5 minute stroll onto the magnificent mile across the bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago! We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City! Our five new restaurants will all be open by early April, so you will have to check them out the next time you stay with us! Hope to see you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here for a dance competition and the staff was so friendly helping to find locations within the hotel, around the hotel and staff was so attentive! I left behind belongings that were valuable to me and the staff was able to find them and return to me untouched! That says it all to me!! Not every hotel can boast that! Kudos Hyatt, you have trained your staff very well!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I will make sure our front desk staff is aware of your accolades. I hope you are able to stay with us again at our downtown Chicago hotel soon!

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!