“Hyatt currently renovating till April, it will be great then, but not now.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chicago

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #75 of 167 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Hyatt currently renovating till April, it will be great then, but not now.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Did a stay-cation in the city, the normally excellent Hyatt Chicago is currently been renovated meaning the entire East Tower, the main part of hotel, the best restaurants and bars, all closed. The West Tower is OK at best. Staff was terrific but no amenities, no pool for kids, no workout facility. My advice is wait till April when renovation is complete. I telling you this because when we booked nobody bothered to tell us.

• Stayed December 2012
Todd C, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I'm sorry to learn of the lack of communication for our renovations. We did communicate this on our website. I am pleased to inform you that our hotel is now renovated and open. Please come back and join us sometime- we'd love to have you back. If you are able to reach out to me at hrcemarketing@hyatt.com, I will personally see to your complete satisfaction.

3,500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We left our car with valet for 2 hours when we checked in and got ready for dinner. My husband forgot his wallet in the glove box in the car with some cash in it. When we got our car back first thing he checked was his wallet which was missing all the cash he had in it!!!! When I filed a report with the valet manager he said only the driver that parked my car and the driver that brought my car back were the only people who had access to my car while it was with the valet service. That narrows down the suspect list. I know people shouldn't leave valuables in their car but it was a simple mistake and the valet guy had to look in closed places and happened to find the wallet and stole the money, what kind of person does that?!? I will never stay at this hotel again!!! I feel violated and don't feel safe even staying here for the night, what a shame.

Stayed December 2012
Todd C, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please reach out to me at hrcemarketing@hyatt.com so I can gather more details? Thank you!
Rockaway, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Hyatt Regency is a beautiful hotel in terrific location (right off Michigan Avenue and near Navy Pier). I stayed here during a large conference and found the hotel to be very clean with a pleasant staff. There are many great restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you find our location to be great and within walking distance to all major Chicago area attractions. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This review is long overdue, but I am compelled to write one because I just booked another stay here and I am such a big fan of this hotel. I come back to HR Chicago because with over 2000 rooms, I am always made to feel as if I'm the only person in the hotel. Front desk, room service, the housekeeprs, everyone. I travel often for work and stay in a lot of different hotels, I am always so impressed with the team here considering the size of the hotel. Being away from home so much isn't easy, but a the sincerety of the staff here makes it all the worthwhile.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We love our guests....thank you for being one of them! We love having you here and are so glad you choose to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel because of our service. We pride ourselves on making sure our guests feel welcome and at home; the Hyatt touch. It's so nice to hear your comments and I'll be sure to pass them along to our staff. Thanks again for allowing us to be your home away from home. Until next time... Cheers!
Columbia, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Each December for the last 24 years (no joke) I've spent 3-4 nights in early December at the Hyatt Regency Chicago for an industry conference. Because the conference is large the room rates are excellent, so it's quite a value. The location of this hotel is nearly ideal; close to Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier, the museums, etc. I enjoy walking, so the proximity to Michigan Avenue is a real plus.

During the last few years, many of the rooms in the East Tower have been renovated, and I stayed in one this year. It was comfortable, clean, quiet, and functional. Apparently starting in mid-Dec. the entire East Tower will be closed for further renovation, and many of the hotel functions will be moved to the West Tower until March or so.

During the last 24 years, quality of this hotel has been consistently very good, but a weakness in recent years has been the lack of a high-quality restaurant on the premises because of renovations to the space formerly occupied by their restaurant ("Stetson's", I believe). I understand that once the renovations are complete, another high-quality restaurant will open there.

Another weakness has been the elevators which in some years have had problems handling the volume of guests. This year they functioned without a hitch.

Through the years, the staff has been consistently helpful, cheery, and capable--everyone, from the doormen, wait staff, front desk, concierge, room cleaners, etc. They are one consistent reason for my looking forward to the annual visit.

I look forward to next December, when all the renovations will be complete.

Room Tip: Consider paying an extra $15 or so for a room upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor for Hyatt Regency Chicago. I'm glad you choose to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel for the conference that brings you to Chicago in December. With the renovations unveiling in April 2013, you will see a great improvement to the overall atmosphere of our East Tower lobby. We can't wait to show it to you. Stetson's restaurant has opened - just yesterday! - as Stetsons Modern Steak + Sushi...and it's worth a visit. We look forward to hearing your thoughts come next December and hope you enjoy the hotel even more than you do now! Cheers!
St. Johns, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We loved our stay at the Hyatt Regency. It is in a wonderful location right on the river and is in close proximity to all the shopping, Millennium Park, and Lake Michigan. Our room over looked the river. We were celebrating 2 birthday during our stay and within a half hour of checking in, there was a knock at our door with cake, bottled waters, and a bottle of champaigne. Plus, a hand written note welcoming us and wishing a happy birthday. It was a fun surprise and we were very impressed. They were remodeling the lobby during our stay, but the staff was extremely nice and accomadating. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! We are so glad you chose our downtown Chicago hotel to celebrate the birthdays and we are glad you found our location to be prime! We love our location of Michigan Avenue with views of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. It's so nice to hear your great comments on the hotel. Hope to see you again soon! Cheers!
Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

It has very friendly staff & great location: stroll along the river across the street for a romantic walk, walking distance to magnificent mile & downtown shops for shopping or admire nature along with some history of the city in the nearby Millineum Park. It has a restaurant at lower levels offering 'hallal food': buffet brekfaat was great though same menu was offered everyday but the amount of choices made no difference. The negative point was that the property had a somewhat little worn out look.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad you found our downtown Chicago hotel to be in prime location and close to all of Chicago's major area attractions like Millennium Park, Michigan Avenue and the theater and cultural districts. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you find yourself in the Windy City!

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!