“Crowded but with good service” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #84 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sao Paulo
“Crowded but with good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The first thing you'll notice is that this hotel is BIG. With two towers and hundreds of apartments, it's constantly busy with lots of people in the common areas.
My check-in was efficient and quick, but sometimes they put only three people on check-in and you'll have to wait in line a little bit.
My apartment had a good size for its category, and beautifully decorated. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect and when we arrived, we could find hair on the bathroom floor and in the bathtub. It was also a little bit dusty in the bedroom.
TV is fine, but I was disappointed because only a few channels were offered.
The hotel offers free wifi only at the main lobby and at the bridge that connects both towers. If you want wifi in your room, you'll be charged.
Location is great, within walking distance from the Magnificent Mile and the Millenium Park.
Service in general (check-in, restaurant) is great, staff always have a smile on their faces.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review for Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm glad you were able to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms. I hope you are able to stay with us again and check out the sights of Navy Pier and Millennium Park...we're within walking distance! Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nice location to see / do stuff along the Mile. If you want to visit things farther out, just take a cab. The staff was very nice / accommodating. I took a cooking class and came back with leftovers. When I asked one of the front desk staff members if I could stash it in my mini-bar fridge, she said that wasn't a good idea since it wouldn't keep it cold enough. She then offered to have a fridge delivered to my room or to hold it till I checked out. Every staff member I interacted with was so nice [Bar 151, housekeeping, front desk, bellmen]. I thought the room was super-clean, and it had everything I needed for the short stay. I'd go back again on my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you were pleased with our staff and services at our downtown Chicago hotel. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City! We'd love to welcome you back!
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is noisy and bustling. We got off on a bad start when the rooms we had booked WEEKS earlier were not available. We booked rooms with two beds and none were left. The desk clerk did his best, though, and got us suites with roll-aways. The rooms were lovely. EVERYTHING costs a lot here, but most charges can be avoided. Don't drive here, parking is very expensive. Join the Gold Passport Club - even if this is your only Hyatt stay ever and you are partway through it! This will get you free Internet access and a late check out. Both needed for a convention.
The concourse to the west has reasonably priced lunch restaurants. I.e. Potbelly's and Cosi, etc. Dont eat the Hyatt's overpriced convention offerings.
The location is wonderful - convenient to the Miracle Mile, Millennium Park, the Loop, Art Institute, Navy Pier, Picasso, and not far from the Museums.
The staff seems joyous! Everyone we interacted with was friendly and seemed genuinely happy. I was shocked by this, because the loud, busy atmosphere and the constant stream of novice travelers would drive me crazy if I had to deal with them.
Don't come for romance, quaint surroundings, upscale treatment, or relaxation. However, if you have a convention here or a great deal from an onine travel site, don't hesitate.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm so glad you were able to stay here for your convention and I'm glad you found our location to be within walking distance to all major Chicago attractions. I hope you choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the Windy City!
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Wonderful staff with great service, very accommodating. Really enjoyed our stay here. The location is excellent, fitness center is large with a lot of equipment options. There is a bar on the second floor with a great view of the Wrigley building. We had a great experience during our stay at this Hyatt.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you come back to visit us again soon the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City! Cheers!
Osprey, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a huge hotel, and many of the rooms have been recently redone. Rather impersonal place, but functional and in a reasonable location once you figure out transportation. Most of the restaurants and interesting pubs are across the river, off Michigan Ave, and if the weather is mean, it can be quite a hike. The underground meeting rooms are a huge labyrinth of rooms, poorly marked, and frustrating to navigate. This hotel spans two blocks, and has underground connectors beneath the street. Unless you are careful, you can come up on the wrong side of the block. Even if you ARE careful, you may find you have to go back and forth using the tunnel or the 2nd floor bridge between the buildings. Gets old FAST. The restaurants are just OK and uninspired, and when there's a conference there, the line at the Starbucks is maddening. After many stays, you can figure out how to travel underground/indoors for up to 4 blocks from the hotel, but other than weekday business hours, those hallways become almost scary, because there's nobody in sight.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room (West tower?) Room with a view of the river is neat; never saw a riv...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Definitley book the Park & WiFi special because parking is outrageous no matter what hotel you stay in in Chicago!! Centrally located, we walked EVERYWHERE!! To the train that took us to Wrigley,beach & Lincoln Park Zoo! We walked to Millinium Park, a nice walk along the river in which is acrossed the street from the front of the hotel. It eventually lead to Navy Pier which is about a 30-40 min walk each way.WE FELT VERY SAFE ON OUR WALKS AROUND THE CLEAN CITY OF CHOCAGO! The hotel room we had was wonderfully decorated in new decor. We were on the 17th floor very nice view w/ out paying extra. The only thing that I saw as a downfall was the walkway that connectd the 2 towers of the hotel. It could use a remodel. ALSO THERE WAS NO POOL!!!!! Otherwsie it was a very nice place! I definitely reccomend staying in the main tower which would be the East or North tower can't rememeber what direction we were actually facing!

Room Tip: Book either the north or east (dont remember the exact way the hotel faced,)main tower. Not the conn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our location and get to some of Chicago's best tourist spots including Navy Pier and the Magnificent Mile! Our "main" tower is the East Tower and the skyway bridge you refer to IS getting a makeover!...as we speak! I hope you are able to come back in April 2013 to see our newly transformed hotel! We'd love to have you back as our guest in the Windy City!
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Recently stayed here with my new hubby straight from our red eye flight from Hawaii. He had a conference he was attending at the hotel soon after our wedding and when we checked in, Kevin at the front desk greeted us and helped us check in. Kevin made small talk while checking us in and asked us what brought us to Chicago. Since it was the week of Thanksgiving, we were going to,be spending time with relatives in town after the conference and that we just got off a red eye flight from Our seeing in Hawaii. When he heard this, he surprised us with a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite! We thought that was so above and beyond for him to do for us. When we got to our room, a knock came to the door to find a waiter had brought us a large bottle of Evian and a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries! Compliments of Dylan with a congratulatory card on behalf do the hotel. We were both amazed at the exceptional service that I am compelled to write a worthy review. While my husband was attending his confernence, I spent time walking and shopping Michigan ave. This hotel was convenient. It was within walking distance to Milinnium park and the shops of Michigan ave. We enjoyed our stay and want to give our thanks for outstanding and professional service and hospitality of the entire staff at the Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Congratulations on your wedding! I'm so glad you had a great time at Hyatt Regency Chicago and received excellent service from Kevin and Dylan. We think they're pretty great, too. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to them! I'm glad you were able to enjoy our downtown Chicago location with a quick walk to Millennium Park and Michigan Avenue shopping! I hope the next time you come to the Windy City, you are able to stay with us again. Perhaps for an anniversary celebration? We would love to have you! Cheers!

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!