“A good base for a Great city” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #84 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“A good base for a Great city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This review is based on a very recently concluded business trip to the fantastic SAFETY 2011 show. My stay was a rare opportunity to experience my own town, the great city of Chicago, as a visitor. It actually made me envious of the many people who get to come here often on business. My base . . . the Hyatt Regency. As I always do, I am breaking my review down to the GREAT, GOOD, BAD, and UGLY with some bottom line-type comments. Ready? Let's do this . . .

GREAT

* The 'Backdrop': This is bold, beautiful, dynamic Chicago we're talking about here and the Hyatt Regency (referred to here henceforth as 'HR') is a great setting. On any level much higher than a standard ferris wheel, you will be treated to awesome views of the city, river, and Lake Michigan (I was on the 25th floor and really enjoyed the view). The hotel ITSELF offers a very impressive lobby area with one of the very best bars I have ever had the pleasure tipping a few back in. Seat yourself at the bar of the HR and enjoy a dramatic elevated backdrop of the Chicago River and city beyond - this is especially nice at night (see pic included).

GOOD

* Location: The HR is situated at a nice location for a visitor - just off the river and close to city-center and Navy Pier. When you stay at the HR you are in close proximity to the main shopping, dining, and party areas a little further north (and the more interesting areas even further northwest). Yet, you are also a short walk away from the many city-center attractions just south - like Millenium Park, the museums, Grant Park, etc.

* Service: In a lot of other reviews here, the HR is referred to as 'impersonal' and 'not charming'. Well . . . duh! Folks, this is one of the largest non-gaming hotels in the WORLD (I think it might still be THE largest in room capacity). Complaining about this hotel lacking charm is like visiting a quaint boutique lakeside bed & breakfast and complaining about their 'terrible business center'. That said; I found the HR staff to be very friendly and helpful in limited interactions and I found the service to be highly efficient. When I arrived at registration I cringed at the long line but I was checked-in in no time and . . . I never had to wait long for my food or another Blue Moon at the beautiful bar.

* Room temperature and 'comfort': I loved the room temperature control system - you just set the desired temperature and the system does the rest - very easy. And I found the room to be comfortable and very 'new' feeling but . . .

BAD ('room' for improvement)

* This is defintely the type of hotel you will remember years after your stay but . . . aside from the view, you will likely NOT remember the room itself. For such an otherwise great hotel, the rooms feature the standard cookie-cutter hotel room design with a bathroom being the first thing you encounter (either on the left or right) and the room beyond that. This is a minor knock but . . . I felt like they dropped the ball in not making even more use of the spectacular city backdrop with a more interesting room design. Then again, I had a lower priced room - perhaps that is the case if you upgrade.

UGLY

* I would have loved to have had my car during this stay (Chicago is a great convertible city) but . . . I could not have expensed the exorbant parking charges to my company in good conscious. I know its downtown and all but . . . $50 / night to park? That's 'how do you sleep with yourself?' expensive.

BOTTOM LINE COMMENTS / RECOMMENDATIONS

* You will not regret using the HR as your base when you visit the great city of Chicago.

* DO request a high-level room

* DO NOT bring a car if you can help it. Chicago is a very 'walkable' city with good public transportation (be sure to know where you are though)

* If attending a trade show at McCormick - no prob. DO NOT stay at the McCormick Hyatt as your nighttime options will involve having to have a car or spending a fortune on cabs. Stay at the HR and use the show shuttle (there will most likely be a show shuttle) or pub trans from the nearby Millenium Station (there is a red line stop at McCormick).

Feel free to shoot me a note of you have Q's.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for staying with us for this year's SAFETY Show. We appreciate the time you put into this review and also for sharing a photo! It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the views, staff, and close proximity to Millennium Park, local museums and Grant Park.

I noticed your note about parking prices and we understand that it can be expensive to park downtown Chicago, so we've recently implemented our "Word of the Week" program that we communicate on our Facebook page and Twitter account. If you mention this word at check in you will receive $15 off each day of parking and one day (24 hours) of complimentary Wi-Fi. Be sure to join us on Facebook or Twitter for these exclusive deals. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paducah, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I am relatively new to the Hyatt family and coming from the Starwood family I have a level of service that I expect out of a hotel. Let me begin by saying that the Hyatt Regency Chicago did NOT disappoint me. I was pleasantly surprised, given the size of this 2000+ room hotel, at the level of personalized service we received. Maybe it was because we were there on a short getaway and not really in a hurry to get anywhere, but it seemed that everyone we encountered went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Due to a late checkout, part of our suite was not ready but Kari at the front desk went ahead and made up keys for our connector so we could freshen up (it was almost 100 degrees when we arrived!) and made sure we had access to the regency club where we could wait for the rest of our room to be ready. The main reason for our stay was a birthday trip for our two kids who have very close birthdays and boy did the Hyatt come through on the birthday. Jennifer, one of the managers, arranged for a beautiful birthday cake to be delivered to our room about 10 minutes after we arrived! This was totally unprompted and was VERY well received. I mentioned in my thank you letter to the hotel that my kids felt like big time VIP's! The only downside, and warrants mentioning, is that unless your count the fountain in the lobby, the hotel does not have a pool. Though my kids may disagree, spending time in a pool when you are in a city like Chicago is a waste of time. Overall we had a great 4 days in Chicago due in no small part to the Hyatt Regency Chicago!

Additional tips: Either fly in or take the train, but leave the car at home; parking is $50/night. Parking is expensive but not unrealistic considering the value of real estate in downtown Chicago.
If you are going to visit the museums, look into the Chicago CityPass.
Best meal bang for the buck - hands down, Market Bistro in the Fox and Obel market. Three words: market price wine.
Last but not least fireworks at Navy Pier on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The view of the fireworks from the top of the ferris wheel is sublime!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Welcome to the Hyatt family - we're so happy to have you! Thanks for choosing Hyatt Regency Chicago and for also taking the time to write this review. It's so nice to hear that you had such a personalized experience with us. We're so happy to assist a Facebook fan to make sure we can take our great online relationship offline here at the hotel.

Also, I saw your note about Market Bistro and my I suggest you check out Bandera Grill on Michigan Avenue. It is very close to the hotel and it's BYOB. On behalf of the hotel I have to say we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for another incredible stay, but in the meantime "Stay Social".
Corona, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I am staying in the hotel right now. Made reservations way back in Feb. My husband is here with a convention and I came with him. We tried to find out about upgrading to a Regency Club room using our Regency Gold Passport points and were told since we made reservations thru group reservations we had to go thru them. they said no it had to be done with the Hotel. finally after six or seven calls back and forth the hotel said we have to wait until we check in and request this. When we checked in they said all the Regency Club rooms had been booked. They offered to upgrade us to a suite. When we looked at the room it had a pull down bed. It was like a meeting room. We asked for another room and were given a king room. Beautiful view. We later found out other people in our group had Regency Club rooms and they had never even asked for them. They checked in after us. This isn't the way to treat Gold card members. They did try to make it better by given us free Internet. The problem in the room is there are only three small draws in the nightstand. We had to leave everything in the suitcase. The carpet in our room is so dirty that I walked from the bed to the bathroom in sox and they are filthy. This renovation they talk about seems to only be on some parts of the room. Carpet and paint seem old.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the miscommunications about the Regency Club upgrade and the cleanliness of your guest room. Your review has been sent to the hotel General Manager. If you'd like to further discuss your experience, I'd be happy to speak with you and work on investigating this internally. We hope this doesn’t dissuade you from returning to our hotel.
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have been to Chicago many times in my life, and I grew up only 3 hours from this city. Although I never stayed downtown until 2011. This was a great trip and staying at the Hyatt put us in the middle of the action. This is an awesome hotel and would love to go back. This hotel is right by Michigan Ave. and so there is lots to see and do. Also very close to Millennium Park if you want to go see the bean.

I was the first from my company to arrive to the Hyatt, I was confused that check-in was on the 2nd floor but that was okay. I got my room and it was fantastic, newly remodeled and very spacious. Although I did find my curtains open every morning, So who ever works next to the West Tower, I am sorry for the show every morning.

I had a conference at this hotel and it was very convenient. I goto many of these conferences and I had more fun at this one because of the setup and location of the Hyatt.

I found myself at the Big Bar many of the nights there. They do close early...which is really 2am. The law in Chicago is that people can drink till 4am which I think is crazy in the first place.

I ate along Michigan Ave many of times and I loved being so close to everything. Including a Chipolte about a block away for all you addicts out there.

I would rate this as one of the best places to stay in Chicago.

Room Tip: Check-in is on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review. We're happy that we got to host you for your very first stay in downtown Chicago. I'm glad to hear that you had easy access to Chipotle and other dining favorites on Michigan Avenue. Next time you're staying with us in Chicago I hope to see your friendly face in BIG Bar. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Schaumburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hyatt has redone their rooms, and they are very contemporary and great ambience. I upgraded to a Junior Suite, and it was great. Nice and roomy. Could use a bit more lighting, but it was a great stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Happy to hear you were upgraded during your recent stay with us. Glad you noticed the recent renovation to our guest rooms. We just completed a full overhaul of all 2,000+ guest rooms/suites, implementing innovative features such as Respire by Hyatt, and Business Speed Wi-Fi technology. We look forward to your next visit downtown.
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

From check in to check out, the service was excellent. My room was on the 35th floor. Awesome views, clean, quiet and very restful. Location is with walking distance to restaurants & transportation.

Room Tip: Just ask!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review from your recent stay in Chicago. I'm so very happy to hear that you made such a great connection with our hotel staff and that you also enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms. We are sorry that you were surprised to hear about the additional fee for internet, but I'm happy to inform you of our "Word of the Week" program that offers Facebook fans and Twitter followers one day (24 hours) of complimentary Wi-Fi. We hope the next time you make the trek back to the states that we can welcome you back into the hotel.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed over a Saturday night with a friend and walked our hearts out! The location is close to awesome shopping, restaurants and best of all, Millenium Park! The room was very well appointed and roomy. Plenty of opportunities to park off property at a lower rate than the hotel. The service was fantastic from the moment we pulled up. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Sounds like you put in some good time exploring the city and shopping on Michigan Avenue. I'm so please to hear that you had such a lovely stay and that the service exceeded your expectations. It's always nice to have locals join us at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for future recommendations to your friends. Hope to see you here again very soon.

Been to Hyatt Regency Chicago? Share your experiences!