“Clean safe room for good price, nice convenient area” 4 of 5 stars

Howard Johnson Inn Downtown Chicago
720 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, IL 60610   |
Ranked #120 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
South Seaville, New Jersey
“Clean safe room for good price, nice convenient area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

I was in Chicago for the weekend, visiting some family and meeting friends for a few days. My hope was to find a decent hotel close to the downtown area I would be going to most and not be too expensive.

Most hotels in the area were outragiously high (around $300 a night). I finally found the Howard Johnson, but saw mixed reviews here and at other sites. I took the chance and was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and decently maintained. It was an older hotel, with older furnishings, but I basically wanted a clean room to sleep and shower in. And HoJo provided it!

It was easlily within walking distance to Hard Rock Cafe, House of Blues, Coyote Ugly, Rock Bottom Brewery and many local restaurants. The area was nicely lit, and felt safe. And if you needed to go further around town, it was easy to get a cab.

For my next trip to Chicago, this will be the first place I check for availability.

• Liked — Best price available, clean room in convenient area
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2006

The hotel was in a good location, easy to get around the city and close to lots of pubs and restaurants. The area felt safe enough.
The outside of the building was a little run down and very retro.
Our room was pretty bad, and was quite expensive too, at $169 a night. It really wasn't worth it and we would have been better off paying a bit more for something a lot better.
Our room was extremely dated and felt quite dirty - I even found a previous customer's toenail clippings by the bed!! Gross! The ancient bathroom had no ventilation, so was always damp. In fact the whole room was damp, as testified by the huge damp patch above the bed on the ceiling. It was also an extremely cold room, maybe because we were right at the end of the building.
The room had a musty and dirty feel about it, and I didn't really feel comfortable staying there - I don't recommend it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Horrible room
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't get a cold room at the end of the building
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

I stayed two nights at the HoJo on LaSalle while in town on business, I was a bit nervous about staying there after reading all the negative comments on the hotel, but during my stay I found the hotel to be in a GREAT location, the Brehorn Pub is right around the corner and has great food and an inviting atmosphere.

The hotel itself features the Cafe Luna on site, a great morning breakfast for a supreme value. I agree that the hotel does appear a bit dated on the exterior, but I found my room to be in excellent condition, appears to have had a fresh coat of paint, and updated carpeting. The doors to the rooms are located inside, so you have to use your pass card to get in, that gave me a secure feeling. But the overall area of the hotel is buzzing with activity, the Rainforest cafe and many other attractions are merely a 10 minute or so walk from the hotel. Michigan Ave. is just down the street.

The L-train station is about a 3 block walk, I did it toting several pieces of luggage to get out to Midway, if going that route plan for at LEAST an hour to get to Midway you have to transfer at the Clark/Lake Street station.

Only drawback I could find was the lack of internet service, there are public WiFi networks in the area but I could not get on them from the location of my room. I know its minor, with so much nightlife surrounding this place I was better off not having the internet.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No internet service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

We found it clean, the help helpful, everything satisfactory. The free parking is a big plus. If you want luxury, don't stay here--the place looks like something out of the 1950s. I'm sorry for the fellow who had a hard time finding it, but they do have street addresses in
Chicago. Excellent location, by the way--easy to get everywhere you want to go. We've stayed there several times, and will continue to do so.

• Liked — Cheap price
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

Our room was so dirty, we chose not to stay in it for even one night. Like the other reviewer, we also did not feel safe. Thankfully, we were there early enough to check out before we were charged - and I must say the hotel employee at the front desk was very accomodating when we told him we would not be staying.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in downtown Chicago, stay at the Congress Plaza. It is cheaper than the HoJo - we got a $149/night internet rate - infinitely cleaner and in a much better location. If you are worried about what you have read about the picketers, don't be, there are only 3 or 4 of them, they are off to the side, and they don't look at you or make any noise.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Davenport Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

This hotel gave me exactly what I was looking for; a fairly cheap rate (as Chicago goes) which allowed me to spend my money on other things. The free parking was a real plus. Somone said that it was hard to find, I found it incredibly easy to locate, just south of Superior on Lasalle. Room was a little dingy, could use a coat of paint etc. but it was clean and in a great location. If you like spending $250 a night plus another $15 for parking for a more upscale hotel, you probably won't want to stay here. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to sleep that is in a great location and want to spend your money on the many attractions Chicago has to offer, this is a great value. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2006

The first thing you'll notice is that this place is incredibly difficult to find. I drove by it four times before I noticed it. Second, the room had an unusual order that made my clothes stink. Third, the swing lock (chain lock) on the door was missing. Fourth, the sink in the bathroom was cracked and dirty. Fifth, the alarm clock was broken. Sixth, there was construction across the street so don't expect to get any peace and quite during the day.
The only saving grace is the free parking but the construction left such a grime on my vehicle it wasn't worth it. Also, I've heard the restuarant was good but the place made me feel dirty so I didn't trust any food cooked on the premises.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Downtown Chicago? Share your experiences!