“Some good, some OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North

You added Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 West Mart Center Drive, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #96 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, Ga.
“Some good, some OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

For our repeat trip to Chicago, we won a Priceline bid for River North and this is what we received. Hotel location is not necessarily what I would call River North, as it is located on the edge of Priceline's map and would put it in the Loop area. It was a healthy walk to the heart of River North and for a Monday night, the streets were deserted. Not like NYC where restaurants and bars are lively every night. A little disappointed in Chicago for a Monday night. We found the hotel and entrances just fine as the hotel is on top of an office tower. The hotel has its own secure open air parking lot with a nice view of the river and places to sit. We could see our car from the room vs it being hidden in a garage out of sight. You can walk thru the handicap entrance and take the elevator up to the 15th floor for checkin. If you don't know this, you will end up taking the steep stairs from the lot to the building entrance. This also keeps you from giving your belongings to the bellhop if you are traveling light. Park or walk over to the handicap area and you will find the door that takes you into the building and elevator. Check in was not great as a quirky, too much talk guy named Edgar helped us. He let us know we were a Priceline guest or 3rd party, that is! Thank you for announcing us as a Priceline guest, duh! I am also a Priority Club Member and was not recognized like I am at other HI hotels. He did not offer to stamp our parking ticket and we had to ask about it. This hotel needs a tick list to go over with each guest b/c of its configuration. I would think many guests are confused and have to figure it out on their own. We had a 2 double room overlooking the city and river. Fabulous view. Room was in good condition and nice decor for a HI. This is an old commercial and not historic hotel that has been patched too many times. They still have the old ac/heat box units, but a little white noise is ok with me. We walked to dinner at Carsons and over the Michigan Avenue and back. A nice, long walk was what I needed that night. Slept well, but the bed could have been more plush. Nice bathroom and plenty of towels. Husband used the pool area next morning. Good feedback. We visited the food court for breakfast as we don't like hotel restaurants. We checked out and were able to leave the car until 6pm as parking is based on a 24 hour rule. Spent the check out day walking around in Chicago and headed out around 3pm before rush hour. Would not stay here again and hope to not win this hotel again on bid sites. Good hotel if attending the Merchandise Mart. I prefer the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park area as this gets you away from the tourist areas.

Pros: large room, clean, decor, parking arrangement and indoor pool.
Cons: desk attendant, location, in/out of hotel to get to street level, typical convention hotel with no personality,

Room Tip: There are rooms are in the center of the hotel and have a view of the wall or pool area. Try to get...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your comments and review. We are so very sorry that this was your experience. We pride ourselves on our customer service and this is not typical of what we strive to provide. We would like to have more details if possible about your visit, can you contact our Director of Sales at 312/529-1112 or flangan@martplaza.com, so that we can get learn from this experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Recently, my wife, son and I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Chicago Martz Plaza. While the room was clean and comfortable, the customer service by the staff was exceptional. Every staff person we encountered wanted to know how they could be helpful. I want to take a moment to recognize the service provided to us by Robert Brooks, the Concierge at Holiday Inn at Martz Plaza. He knew everything about Chicago, and provided information that helped us make the most of everything we visited. There was nothing he didn't know and his helpfulness took all of the guess work of getting around Chicago. We would definitely stay again and want to recognize the outstanding service provided by Mr. Brooks. I told Mr. Brooks that in all of our travels, he was the absolute best concierge we had ever encountered.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of downtown Chicago and the river. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your comments and your praise for Robert, we will pass this along. Our Concierge staff go out of their way to please and it is so nice to share the recognition. We look forward to your next visit.
Helotes, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed here during an overnight business trip August 8 – 9, 2011. The hotel lobby and the lobby bar are very elegant. I didn’t have time to go in, but I could see that the lobby bar offers a fantastic view of the Chicago River area buildings. However, the room was the same as standard $80@night Holiday Inn’s, rather worn out, and not close to the same standards.

After struggling with driving and parking in the area I just left my car in the hotel lot ($39@night) and walked back and forth to the building I was working in. I had no problems walking back 5 blocks at 4am after a long day.

The staff was OK. Some were good and some were not. One desk clerk gave me a runaround getting the parking ticket stamped (so I could come and go without paying another $39) which required a return trip back to the lobby, (the lobby is not on the ground level, you have to take an elevator) wait in the check in line again, and then a different clerk took care of it instantly.

I would stay here again because of the location but also check out the other area hotels.

I think if I returned to Chicago for a pleasure visit I would look at the hotels by Grant Park if I was going to be on foot in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside view room. Otherwise, you may be facing the roof.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed 2 nights for business and have nothing but great things to say about this hotel. This is NOT your typical Holiday Inn. In fact, I know no other Holiday Inn that is like this. This is not your parents Holiday Inn or the Holiday Inn from your childhood. This is the top o' the line. Huge, spacious room with an incredible view of the city. I blocked off 15 rooms for a work event and even if there was a little issue here and there, it was corrected immediately. I would gladly stay here again and the staff is excellent to work with. From the front desk, to my reservations specialist, to room service staff, everything was awesome. Thank you!

Room Tip: Incredible views of the Chicago River & Skyline. Some a/c unit noise, but just cranked the a/c...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Recent Guest, Thank you! We are so appreciative of your patronage and your review. We will continue to strive for superior service and continue to renovate the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza so that it remains, “not your typical Holiday Inn”.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Took a three day trip to Chicago for our seventh anniversary, and we stayed at the Holiday Inn - Mart Plaza. We didn't know entirely what to expect, but we knew that we wanted to stay in the River North - Michigan Ave. area. We are quite pleased to have stayed at the Holiday Inn - Mart Plaza.

Upon checkin, the wonderful guest attendant provided us with a small goodie bag for our anniversary. And while we didn't have a room overlooking the river, we couldn't complain. The entire hotel was booked full, so they had no options for moving us around. The room was fine, though a bit dated; it looked like a five-star hotel from 1985. At the same time, the stay was great, the staff more than friendly, and the location was perfect with a connection to the "L" through the Merchandise Mart (without having to go outside). This made it a great stay for our trip throughout the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Recent Guest, Happy belated Anniversary! Thank you for the review, we appreciate your review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I came to town on business and arrived 9 am fully expecting to just drop off my luggage and go on to business. Instead the receptionist checked to see if a room was available and found one. I was able to straight up to my room and relax for a bit after my flight before I had to go out.

Easy access to public transport and a close cab ride to anywhere make this a great location. Room was clean, comfortable and all the staff had a a smile and a hello. The desk helped me figure out a route for a morning run. Beautiful public rooms with great views of the Chicago skyline.

A great hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and maybe you are still with us. Please stop down and say hello. We would enjoy meeting you. We appreciate your patronage and your review.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Per other trip advisor reviews and photos I was really looking forward to our 2 night stay. However the only positive things were location and we were told Lucky enough to have a view since they are nor guaranteed at booking. The service was awful from the moment at checkin, 4 people in line and only one person working, it was later at night, but 3 other staff were doing nothing behind the counter. They had to get a manager to check us in.because they overbooked and our room wasn't available. Tried to save face by giving us breakfast when it was already in our package. Then offered a complimentary movie, which was fine, but the movie button on tv did not work, so we got nothing for the inconvenience. The manager also didn't even explain how breakfast worked since it was included in our package. So the next morning we discovered we needed a ticket/voucher for breakfast. The food looked gourmet,,however everything was cold, sausage, eggs, they looked warm but they were not. The oatmeal was the only hot item. I was very disappointed. The waitress staff was impeccably slow. Overall I found the staff was not friendly, gave half information and directions. It was a nice location, but I suppose it was just a holiday inn. I'm disappointed for the money I paid and to be treated poorly.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North? Share your experiences!