“Bliss doesn't begin to cut it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 West Mart Center Drive, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #82 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“Bliss doesn't begin to cut it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

There isn't enough that can be said about this hotel. It is walking or easy subway to EVERYTHING, clean and has some of the best views. I fell in love with my little penthouse in the sky as I called it because my room was on the top floor and had THE BEST view. I have to admit Robert at concierge is one of the best I have seen and I travel lots and have worked for some of the biggest names in hospitality. I got injured in an accident shortly after arriving and Robert helped get me medical supplies, found a doctor, figured out when a short wait would be and then from every day on whenever we spoke he would tell me how much better I looked. Along with the fact that he knew every answer to every question and would often pick up the phone and call places directly to get tips or find the best way to make it work in my trip plans. This hotel makes you feel like a celebrity. Honestly you can't pick a better hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you! We knew Robert was good, but coming from you means everything. We
hope that you are healing well and appreciate your patronage. We look
forward to your next visit to Chicago.

945 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Madison Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We recently stayed in this hotel for the Tigers/Cubs series. We loved that it was close to the train station and downtown ammenties for half the price of other Chicago hotels. It was about a 1.5 mile walk to/from Navy Pier on the river. Everyone was very nice and pleasant. Our only problem was having new coffee cups after the cleaning crew went through, but we just walked down to the lobby and asked for them.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms are worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Am currently staying at this hotel and so far really good.

I got an upgrade to an exec corner room and it is huge, sofa, chair, desk, fridge and masses of room, if you can would recommend the upgrade. Two of the walls are huge windows with a great view of the city. My parents have a standard room and it is quite a bit smaller than ours, without the two walls of windows or fridge.

Bed is comfortable and everything is clean and modern, the internet is free but connection drops from time to time but not much of a problem for me.

Grayline tour picks up just across the street if you are doing their city tour, plenty of bars and restaurants within a short walk.

Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you so much for the kind review. We appreciate all of your comments and are researching our internet connectivity. We hope that you visit us again soon.
Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators!)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times. I absolutely hate it. I only gave it two stars, instead of one, as they do have a couple pluses (location, location).

First, the internet stinks, I'd rather be on a 2400 baud dial up. The rooms are only wireless, not sure how they can call themselves a business hotel without a wired room. The connection dies over and over (and over). The rooms are dirty and old. Most of the staff are helpful, but the bellman was useless. I'm also not a fan of a hotel that's lobby is on the 15th floor!

And the price for one night - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Of course, I'll be here again next year, ONLY because of the proximity to the Mart. If I had any other better options, I would choose it...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,
We are very sorry to hear of your experience. We have recently spent a significant amount of capital dollars to improve our internet service. We have gone from 3 T1 lines to Fiber optic, we have gone from 4.5 mbps to 100 mbps. We offer some of the highest quality internet service in the Chicago area and complimentary. We would like to hear more of your experience and room location so that we can check the access point in that location. Please contact me directly, Tony Miu, General Manager (312) 529-1130 or tmiu@martplaza.com.
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel was very nice and right in the middle of all the fun. It's only about a mile to the Navy Pier, beach, shopping, and restaurants. The room as well as the hotel was very nice and clean. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. My only complaint is there was no microwave in the room. As nice as this hotel was you would think they would have offered a mini refrigerator and/or hotel. Even though there was no microwave the in house restaurant was nice enough to warm my food for me. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and will highly recommend this property. I will say too that it is about a 20 min cab ride to the ORD airport (est.$40).

Room Tip: If you want to be close to downtown, shopping, Navy Pier, and the Beach. This is your hotel. It is a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you so very much for the nice review. We look forward to your next visit. By the way we do have refrigerators available and because of your comments we are looking at purchasing some microwaves.
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I had done a hurried reservation without checking the reviews for this hotel (which I always do) - before reaching the hotel - I was pondering whether it was a good decision to take this hotel or not. The hotel was well connected - its sky walk to Merchandise Mart station helped us to get the luggage easily to the hotel but we were surprised to know that the lobby/ reception is on the 15th Floor and the hotel rooms from 15th floor onwards - after reaching the rooms - we were over-joyed by the cleanliness of the hotel. I WOULD CERTAINLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: the higher floors gives a good view of the Chicago Skylines
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

We are so pleased you found us and enjoyed your visit. We value our Trip Advisor comments and use them to improve our service and accommodations to you; our valued customer. Thank you.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed two nights here while attending a conference. As another reviewer stated, it's on the 15th floor of the Chicago Sun Times building just off Wacker Drive. If you're driving, the Sun Times is right across Wacker form the Merchandise Mart. It's easy to miss, but circle around and you'll see it the next time. (Voice of Experience)

Great Location - close the the Chicago River Walk, the bar has a wonderful, (great) view of the city and river. Also the drinks were inventive and very good. Last call on weekends is at 12:30 which is a tad early.

Parking is onsite but no there's no valet. But the cars are so close you can be in your car in minutes versus waiting at other hotels. The daily parking charge includes in and out privileges, The parking lot is down a set of stairs- apparently there is an elevator at one side of the lot but it's not clearly marked. I had a walking boot on due to a broken foot, but was able to make my way by walking up the road ramp with luggage.

Rooms were clean and comfortable, Staff friendly and helpful. I joined their loyalty club and we received a cookie (snack) and bottle of water with our room keys.

It's Chicago's Birthday. Booking this room 2 weeks in advance has a rate which INCLUDES parking (subject to availability)

Check out the Chicago Water Taxi Service with the Concierge. For $7 a person you can ride all over the river waterways which is a less expensive tour option.

I'd go back here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Sometimes if you book online you can get a river view for a 8 dollars more. Waiting until you arriv...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you so very much for the review. We appreciate all of your comments and we hope that you visit us again soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North? Share your experiences!