“Great Place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 West Mart Center Drive, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #85 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Battle Creek
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I took my Grandaughter to Chicago by train. Her First train ride. We booked this hotel for it's indoor pool. (She loves the water) The Check-in was great. When they heard her say she loved the water, they gave us a room with a beautiful view. SHe LOVED it. Thanks for maiking her first trip to Chicago so Great!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

That is so great to hear! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to having you and your granddaughter visit us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The look and feel of this hotel left me walking through the lobby and only recalling it was Holiday when I felt my self wandering off stayed here while attending a conference also hosted at the hotel. There were several conferences taking place simultaneously, and the only reason I knew is because people were wearing different conference badges. The hotel staff were friendly and quick to help if I needed some direction or anything in my room. The stand out was Robert, the concierge, who was always cool but ready to help with a pleasant but not cheesy smile. He gave great directions and made enjoying my short time in Chi-town and my train to the airport seamless and easy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We appreciate your business and will certainly pass your comments on to our “award winning” Concierge Robert.
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed here a week ago on business. This hotel was highly recommended by an executive at the company I work at since he stays there everytime he goes to Chicago. Obviously, the staff treats guests that stay there on a regular basis quite different from a first-time guest because I definitely won't stay here again! Arrived on a Sunday evening and, upon check-in, was greeted by the most miserable staff I have encountered in a long time! No kind greeting, no smiles, just went through the motions. Disappointing from the start! Arrived in my room to find the wallpaper peeling, although I really didn't care about that. Ordered dinner, which consisted of two appetizers: Grilled Chicken Satay and Vegetable Spring Rolls, which were EXCELLENT! The gentleman that delivered my meal was actually very kind and actually smiled. Tried watching TV, but the closed captioning wouldn't turn off. Called down to the front desk and they sent up an engineer to fix it. Unfortunately, as soon as the TV was turned off, the closed captioning came right back and ended up putting up with it for the rest of my stay...VERY annoying! Upon turning in for the night, I discovered a distinct disgusting smell in my pillow. Smelled like someone with greasy, dirty hair had slept on the pillow. Tried another one, same thing. Finally settled on one that wasn't as bad as the rest. Woke up the next morning to find that the shower barely had any water pressure. Made do since I had to be at the office early. Went to use the iron and discovered it was broke...all of the water spilled out of the bottom of it onto the slacks I was getting ready to touch-up to wear. Called down AGAIN to the front desk where another extremely rude individual told me that they didn't handle those problems and that I'd have to call housekeeping. Called housekeeping...ANOTHER rude employee! Fortunately, they did bring me up another iron. Unfortunately, I had to wear another pair of slacks since the ones I was going to wear were soaked! Left the broken iron out with a note "broke" but no one ever took it out of the room the entire time I was there. In fact it was still sitting there the morning I was checking out. Went to have a cup of coffee and discovered that the cord wouldn't reach the outlet behind the TV. You can't even get your arm back there to plug it in. I don't know what the hotel was thinking when they set the coffee maker up where they did. Ended up moving the coffee maker over to the desk where I could at least plug it in. Went to take a shower...no pressure, it barely had any water coming out! Had to make do since I had to get to the office. Stayed at this hotel three nights and will NEVER stay here again nor will I recommend it to anyone. Told the executive that recommended the hotel that he obviously is treated different than other guests because I certainly didn't get the great service and great room that he gets. Don't stay here...there are too many other great hotels in this city!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experiences. I can assure you that we strive to treat every guest, regardless of how many times they stay with us with respect, courtesy and gratitude for their patronage. I would personally like to discuss your visit with you, but do not have your contact information. My name is Tony Miu, I am the General Manager at the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza and can be reached at (312) 529 – 1130 or tmiu@martplaza.com.
Redmond, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

There were 2 people with 2 rooms staying for a large concention. The reservation company didn't book our rooms correctly so we only had reservations for the first 2 nights. The hotel was completely booked on the 3rd night. The front desk staff had our rooms confirmed by the first morning of our stay. We got the same group rate and didn't have to change rooms for the additional third night. They were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we will share this with our staff. We appreciate your patronage and being helpful and friendly is who we are and easy to do for out guests.
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The room had a great shower and comfortable bed. When I woke up and opened the window I was treated to a grand view of the canals in downtown chicago. wow.

Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we are so pleased you enjoyed our wonderful views of the Chicago River and downtown Skyline. Please visit us again soon.
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart from 3/31 to 4/4/12.

Good stuff - We were flying in early Saturday morning and needed to get into our room early so we could get ready to go to a wedding at 4 pm. Thankfully, they had a room ready at 11 am when we arrived - much better than we expected! The room itself was very nice, with a spectacular view. The concierge was very helpful as well.

Not so good stuff - the big thing was what happened the first few hours after we checked in. First there was a knock on the door. I answered and someone from housekeeping asked if everything was okay, or did we need anything? I thought it was peculiar but assured them everything was okay. Thirty minutes later there was another knock and within a few seconds, before anyone could react, they actually OPENED OUR DOOR and started to enter! I rushed to the door and asked them what they were doing ... they said they had a policy of checking in to be sure everything was good. I told them no one had asked for anything and I did not appreciate people unlocking our door and entering for no reason. What if we weren't there? I certainly did not feel secure! And then there was ANOTHER knock on the door ... but no one was there when I got there. I called the front desk and they didn't seem surprised about the policy, but did say they would make sure Housekeeping wouldn't unlock a door without permission. That was very weird, indeed.

Otherwise, the only bad things I can think of is the very expensive hotel restaurant and no reasonably priced restaurants nearby.

Overall, not a bad place and we had a great time in Chicago. But if we went again, I'd pick a place closer to the heart of downtown, with breakfast included if possible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is definitely a no frills hotel. My stay was fine, and the hotel staff was very pleasant. We stayed at this hotel because of the price. It was one of the cheaper hotels available. It's not a luxurious hotel, but it was clean and fine for the time we spent there. We had our room changed to a river view, and that was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.