We stayed here for 3 nights during our mini getaway to Chicago. We are EXTREMELY picky about the hotel we stay in (especially with the recent bedbug outbreaks). After much research we decided on this hotel.
I was really impressed with the room. We booked a city view (cheaper than a river view, but we got a river view anyway). They gave us a beautiful room on the 27th floor which happened to be a corner room....2 walls FULL of windows. One wall gave us the "city view" which was of some beautiful architectural buildings (my bf is a photographer and went nuts taking pictures of the building elements from our windows) and the other wall gave us a view of the river and some more buildings. Really nice view!
The room was clean and big enough (not huge, but you don't need a room any bigger for 2 people). The bathroom was also clean and attractive.
This place is a GREAT location as well. All main attractions are a 30 minute walk, or a $5 cab ride. We arrived by train and it cost about $5 to get to our hotel by cab. We also cabbed it to the Aquarium & Natural History museum, and Navy Pier...both $5. We walked to Millennium Park and Hancock Tower (5 min and 30 min walks), and it is right at the south end of the Magnificent Mile.
The staff at the front desk were EXTREMELY polite and cheerful at all times!
The only complaints I have are the following:
- The room was extremely cold. There is a thermostat that you can control your room temperature but I didn't figure it out until the next day. We left a $5 tip with a little note for the housekeeper asking for an extra blanket. When we came back, the money was GONE, but NO BLANKET! We called down to the front desk explaining the situation, and we had to call 2X (45 minutes apart), wait another 30 minutes, then go down to the front desk and ask for the blanket AGAIN. VERY frustrating.
- Not only did the housekeeper take our money without providing that little extra step of giving us an extra blanket, but they left garbage (including our note that we had written our request on) all over the floor in the room foyer. The next day, there was a HUGE wet spot in our room foyer that I ended up stepping in and hand to change my socks.
- last complaint about housekeeping...they took FOREVER to clean our rooms! Even with the sign on the door requesting service, we would come back around 4 pm, and the room still wouldn't be cleaned. SO frustrating because we'd have to leave again because we didn't want to be there when they were cleaning the room.
Complaints aside, the place was kept pretty clean, the service was pretty great, the location is PRIME, and it was a really good deal for what we were given. We'd definitely stay there again.
- Also Known As:
- 71 Hotel Chicago
- Hotel 71 Chicago
- Hotel 71
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel 71 boasts an unrivalled location in the heart of the city--where the Chicago River and North Michigan Avenue meet. Fresh off a $20 million renovation, the hotel features a new lobby, 24-hour complimentary fitness and business centers, and Hoyt's--a new restaurant concept located on the lobby level of the hotel. This all-day dining venue features culinary delights inspired by Midwestern tastes and locally grown produce. Whether you're visiting Chicago for business or leisure purposes, you'll find yourself within minutes of your destination--the Loop, Michigan Avenue, Millennium Park, Navy Pier, the River North District and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Wyndham, Tingo, Hotels.com, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Amex, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, HostelBookers, Priceline, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.