“Unimpressed - Won't Go Back” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #46 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Unimpressed - Won't Go Back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip for five days. Overall, this is not a hotel I would ever return to.

The good:
* The hotel is located in a fairly good spot, overlooking the river.
* My room was spacious and clean

The bad:
* Materials I had delivered to a hotel guest were not given to the person until four days after my shipping confirmation says the package got there
* Materials left at the front desk for the same guest were not given to her. I had to have the manager personally deliver it after two attempts with the other staffers/
* The first day, I received a wake up call by phone, followed by a terrorizing knock on the door from hotel security. Then, they forgot my wake up call TWO days in a row, making me miss important business meetings
* There are not enough plugs in the room, and none by the desk. The hotel staff did not offer an extension cord, making me charge my laptop in the bathroom
* I stayed in a corner room on the 28th floor, and heard traffic all night, as well as slamming doors.

Highly suggest staying at another hotel unless you have to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Renuka R, Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear sheilaandjon,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems you had during your stay. I understand your frustration and would like to assure you that it was not a true reflection of our hospitality. We would love to learn more about your stay and try to make things right. If possible, please contact our Front Desk Manager Mike Eizenberg at meizenberg@wyndham.com at your convenience.

I hope you will give us another chance to win you over.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Baton Rouge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked and paid for a suite through Hotels.com but when I arrived at the hotel the desk clerk acted perturbed and went to speak to a manager, I enquired and was assured things were fine and was given my room key. I arrived at the room to find a much lower type room than booked. I returned to the front desk to inquire was the told that during my stay they would have to close the side of the hotel facing the river due to some maintenance and because my stay was for 6 nights I either had to take a lower room type or move rooms in the middle of my stay; I was also told they could not refund the difference between the room types because I had not booked through Wyndham reservations and they did not know how to issue a refund any other way. I was very polite but persistent that I needed to be upgraded instead of downgraded and was told I had booked their highest room type which all of these rooms were on the side they were going to have to close. I choose the higher room type (which I had paid for) and to downgrade rooms for the last 2 nights of my stay when the renovations were to start. I was then given my room key and shown to room 3604 which is an AWESOME suite with wonderful views. I do feel like from that moment on I had been marked as a problem customer. The staff however very polite was very slow to be of any help. I asked to have clean towels and more toiletries brought to room after housekeeping did not come and I had to repeat the request 3 times before the items were finally delivered at 12:30AM. When the items did arrive it was towels only (2 towels and we had 3 people in the room) no wash clothes, and soap only – no shampoo, conditioner or etc. The next day I left the hotel and went and bought shampoo & conditioner which I had opted not to fly on the plane with me to Chicago. My husband asked if they had any DVD players for the rooms because we wanted to watch a movie and he was told they do but because of the conference in town they were already all taken but we would be added to their wait list, we again asked a couple of days later and were told we must not have been added to the list. We just went to the store and bought one (this hotel does not offer any pay-per-view movies). Overall a nice hotel with a very nice suite but the amount of money I paid I expected much better service. They also never did any building maintenance during the 6 nights we were there!

Room Tip: Room 3604 which is a premier suite is awesome and has extreamly nice views. This Hotel is formerly H...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear KGBBatonRouge,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We did have to complete some maintenance work to those suites during your stay, so I want to assure you that you were not moved for no reason. However, I understand your frustrations and we would love to have the opportunity to make things right with you. If possible, please contact our Front Office Supervisor David Scheffke at dscheffke@wyndham.com. He would love to get more details to assist you. I hope we will get a second chance to win you over.

Southend on Sea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I find myself writing this review whilst still staying at Hotel 71 but couldn't hold my tongue any longer.
The initial promise of the hotel and excellent service we received on check in has now given in to a bit if anger if I'm honest!
Our luggage got lost and we ended up checking in really late. The front desk provided us with supplies to keep us going. When our luggage did turn up at 2.30am we were reunited with it immediately.
I e mailed the hotel in advance requesting that my 74 year old aunt had, if not an adjoining room, then a room close by on the same floor (in case she had a fall etc etc). My e mail was acknowledged but on check in she had a room a floor higher than us. She had a lovely river view but was still very worried because we were so far away. We had a view of a car park/building site. She had two sinks, myself and my husband had one.
Anyway I digress. My main issue with the hotel is the building work that is now going on during the day and were told about by means of a piece of paper in our room which we found at 2pm. My siesta was no more and hence Im in bed, jet lagged to hell and back at 8pm.
All guests should be told of all building/renovation work at the time if booking or if not then as soon as it has been arranged. We should be given the choice to stay somewhere else. I would have done. I don't want to listen to hammers all afternoon when I need to rest. As did my afore mentioned auntie!
On the plus side I found I never waited more than 30 seconds for the elevator. I waited 3 minutes at Trump Chicago!!
Not good enough 71, next time it will be a return to the Sofitel, O don't care how much more it costs!!

• Stayed June 2013
Renuka R, Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear andy_wilson,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you had with your luggage, room location and construction noise. If possible, please contact our Front Desk Manager Mike Eizenberg at meizenberg@wyndham.com to further discuss your stay. If you are still at the hotel, we would love the opportunity to make things right while you are still here. I understand your frustrations, but I do not believe that your stay has reflected our standard level of service and accommodation. We would love to have another chance to win you over if you will let us. Again, thank you for your feedback.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 6 days. Never got half of my requested wake up calls and staff was nasty and condescending. 'manager' David is the unhelpful and condescending champion... And the rugs are dirty. Good location though.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Rf3Rf3,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I sincerely apologize for any issues you had with our staff members. We pride ourselves on having a friendly and accommodating team, so it is disappointing to hear that you did not receive that level of service. You should feel welcome in our hotel and I understand your frustration. I also apologize for any problems you had with your wake up calls. We have not received any other complaints with the system recently, so we would like to look further into your situation to make sure any issues are corrected. If possible, please reach out to our Front Desk Manager Mike Eizenberg at meizenberg@wyndham.com. We would love to get more feedback and try to make things right.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my second stay at Hotel 71 in about 14 months. Room 909 was a renovated room (I now realize that the room I stayed in during my visit in 2012 was not renovated). The room was nicely appointed and quiet, despite being located very close to the elevator. The hotel location is good for those who need to be in or near the Loop. It is easily within walking distance of shopping and tourist sites. My only negative comment is that I had asked for a room far away from the elevator, and the hotel gave me a room adjacent to the elevator. As my visit was only one night, I chose to not complain to management. Next time, I will be sure to ask about the location of the room upon check-in.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Room 909 was renovated, but it is next to the elevators. If you are a he...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear NYCityTravelers,

Thank you for staying at our hotel while you were traveling on business. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially location in downtown Chicago and recently renovated guestrooms. I apologize that your request to be located away from the elevators was not met, but I'm glad you did not experience any noise issues while staying close to the elevators. Thank you for your understanding. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon!

Director of Rooms

Been to Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront? Share your experiences!